Cornell Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for Cornell Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

RD Application Deadline is: January 2

5 Likes

Anyone received an invite for the interview?

1 Like

waiting for an interview.

2 Likes

Just got an interview!

5 Likes

When did you submit your application? We did it on Jan 1st, haven’t recd. an interview yet.

1 Like

I applied on December 29. Received my request for an interview on January 14.

Drew

2 Likes

Do you have to request an interview? Is it school specific?

When I applied via commonapp, I indicated that I would like an interview. I am not sure if it is school specific. I am interviewing with someone very outside my field of interest (chemistry vs government) but both within the college of arts and science.

1 Like

Thx, I’m thinking he didn’t check that off

I applied in the 2nd week of December. Although I got an email with a request for further financial information, I have received no communication since then.

People from my school with similar stats have already gotten interviews, and tbh it was a very early application I wrote and I have improved my essays immensely since then.

It’s not looking good so far :confused:

1 Like

You don’t have to worry about Cornell interviews unless you have applied for Architecture. Cornell doesn’t offer interviews. See this official blog.

https://blogs.cornell.edu/admissions/2023/01/05/cornell-interviews/

4 Likes

Don’t they offer CAAAN “interviews”
Although they are not “official” interviews, don’t they still function in the same manner
I guess it might just be a matter of alumni availability :confused:

The official guidance says clearly the interviews are not for “evaluative” purposes. The CAAAN interviews are only for the benefit of the candidate to learn more about Cornell. So basically there is no feedback from CAAAN interviews going back on candidate file for admissions and is completely an optional system and process.

2 Likes

Yes, they do CAAAN interviews and our applicant was told that they are completely non evaluative, only a conversation to ask questions of an alum.

3 Likes

The interviewer DOES report back to admissions- if the candidate has had an interview, if the candidate was reached and offered an interview and the candidate refused, or if attempts were made to contact the applicant and no response. therefore, not evaluative, but can this be used as a means to gauge interest, help steer them regarding their yield?? Things that make you go hmmm…

2 Likes

But if one doesn’t get an interview, it doesn’t reflect on admission chances to the original point. And how performs in the interview has no bearing on admission chances.

If someone refuses or doesn’t show up maybe/maybe not, it might but that will be reading tea leaves.

2 Likes

This is incorrect. In the past, yes, this information was shared but not anymore. I’ve been an alum interviewer for a few years for Cornell and heard this directly from admissions.

1 Like

If you are offered a CAAAN 1-on-1 zoom meeting or call, you should take up the offer even if Cornell isn’t your top choice. You likely will learn something you didn’t know before. If you’re not offered a meeting, don’t worry.

4 Likes

Is it a bad sign to not receive an interview, 6-10 other students in my area have gotten CAAAN interviews :confused:

1 Like

Check to see if you checked the CAAAN box in your application portal. These interviews are not preferential-- they are based solely on expressed interest and alumni availability.

3 Likes