Cornell RD Class of 2025

All interviews are conversations about the school… I wouldn’t look into it too much.

Texas is showing how poor their entire infrastructure is altogether right now. Millions have had no power for days, nevermind the lack of snow removal. Austin is under a boil water order tons of people have burst pipes. It’s a mess. Lots of finger pointing as well. Let’s just hope minimal loss of life at the end of the day!

1 Like

@16kumarn yes that’s what I told my daughter. The person who “interviewed” her is an older alum… and maybe legacy was more important in the past. Turns out their own daughter had been interviewed by my mother-in-law (also a Cornell grad) about 25 years ago! She got in but chose to go to Yale. Go figure.

1 Like

@srparent15
There is lot of things broken down in US system last decade or so

• Health care system overload due to Covid broken
  • Texas weather Power grids broken
  • financial system broken 2008 and now issuing trillion dollars of debt
  • Capitol Hill raid US political system broken

So many things broken for the Advanced country like ours , need to prepare for better future

I read this is on some news paper not me saying

Loss of life is the saddest situation in this already hard time.

1 Like

For those with knowledge of Cornell CS and Engineering, I am currently deciding between waiting for Cornell Decision or committing to GT beforehand. Are there any major points that would sway a potential decision? I am planning to major in Computer Engineering and minor in CS. However, based on the EFC, I will not receive any financial aid, and have a scholarship at GT. Is it worth waiting for a decision, knowing how unlikely it is to get in and knowing cost would deter me from attending?

Isn’t the decision due on May 1? You don’t have to rush for a decision now.

1 Like

Visit both in April

Personal decision really. You won’t get merit from Cornell so if money is the driving factor then you should go with GT. You won’t learn more about CS between now and then even if you go visit. You can’t go to classes, see classrooms or visit with anyone. Cornell all in per year is about 80k. That’s the question you have to ask yourself. Is it worth it? GT in recent US News and a world report was tied with Cornell so not sure he price tag us worth it and I have a kid in COE there. She hasn’t always gotten her classes, there’s little room for choice, and they’re huge classes. I don’t know enough about GT though to comment. She does however love being around other smart people which I see is not always the case at other schools including where her sister attends even though her sister is in a highly regarded honors program. The problem is the people in the other majors. You won’t find that disparity so much as Cornell but it is there in some majors.

1 Like

Amen to that! May everyone’s kids and families be healthy and safe during these crises!

Big difference between GT and Cornell is probably AP Credits. At GT, I would probably be able to finish CS in 2.5-3 years but in Cornell even with Advanced Credit standings I would still need 4 years.

1 Like

With AP credit at Cornell people can graduate early. My daughter can graduate at least a semester early if she chose but Cornell sort of frowns on early graduation in any case and she’s getting at least one (maybe two) minors. If you have even just 4 AP classes you can graduate early. That reminds me though. Cornell it is much harder to use AP. You basically need a 5 on everything and they don’t take it all. They also don’t give credit for all Calc BC but only the BC portion not the Calc 1 portion for engineering because they expect every freshman to have already had that and start in at least calc 2 or Calc 3. So instead of getting the full credit you only get half.

Does anyone know if the Policy Analysis and Management major is particularly selective or competitive? I applied with a mediocre GPA but strong ECs that correlate with the major and was wondering if that would help compensate.

My S and 3 of his friends got deferred in ED but are hoping they can somehow get in RD

2 Likes

I am part of CAAAN and it never stops to amaze me when applicants simply don’t respond
to the e-mails … (and sometimes even texts)

3 Likes

does anyone think that human ecology might be trying to increase its size? for the past few years it looks like they’ve been accepting more people while the other colleges are more steady.

Has anyone received any emails from Cornell since submitting application? My email flow has definitely slowed down.

nope

No and that’s very typical. When my kid was accepted ED it was radio silence for months. And other than some covid stuff they don’t email parents regularly either so for any parent expecting that who has a kid that ultimately goes to Cornell get used to that! Some parents, especially helicopter ones cannot handle it at all.

My DS he has amazing last 4 years always A’s
May be couple of B+s. Top rated high school in NJ with 3.7 GPA he got many good schools admissions in EA. Obviously Cornell is dream school.

He got interview request in January for regular decision who runs a mid size company.
Interview was quite deep with lots of serious questions about his interests all

He has 3 A+’s in last semester includes AP CS A , AP Calc AB , English all A+ rest all A’s
question having a C on AP Biology in the last semester is bad thing for Cornell ?
Unfortunately he is not a Biology kid even though he took it :frowning:

What are his chances ? I know it’s tough