Cornell RD Class of 2025

Also was contacted for an interview RD…

1 Like

Did you request for an interview somewhere?

you can request one in your portal on the right side

What major or college you applied for ?

We got the email from alumni as well for CAS college interestingly enough the Alumni person is a CEO of a company.
We applied on Dec-30th RD , haven’t filled any forms

Email says …

“Cornell University’s Undergraduate Admissions Office has asked me to contact you to set up meeting “

Thanks, I will check it out.

1 Like

My D21 just had her interview, she’s Engineering and the interviewer was a double major in Math and Physics. He actually gave her a couple of math problems (calc and statistics) to answer on the fly! She took it in stride, apparently answered them correctly, thank G*d. Her knowledge of the school, campus and surrounding area (she took a course there a couple of summers back) definitely helped in discussing “why Cornell.” He provided her with detailed information about her preferred major/department. Overall, she said it was a positive, meaningful exchange.

2 Likes

My D21 had hers yesterday, she applied for Electrical Engineering and wants to work with swarm robots. Her interviewer graduated from ALS, so they didn’t have a ton of overlap. I hope both of ours get in!

2 Likes

Great !
If you don’t mind , can you please share typical questions asked ?

What are other topics covered ?

Swarm robots, I had to look that up :laughing:, sounds like a neat focus area! Good luck to your D21! P.S. Are there even any seats left after ED? :thinking:

1 Like

Since they are no longer announcing their ED stats and numbers, who knows how many seats are left, but there are probably plenty although in the last few years they have tried to fill about half of their class in ED.

3 Likes

How many people here are from California?
I am surprised with so many people here could take SAT / ACT. I think most of Californian kids couldn’t take tests at all due to the pandemic. My son applied without scores.

How many of you had to apply without scores?

Many of the Cornell colleges are test blind so you’re going to find a lot of applicants that didn’t submit scores even if they took them.

For ED it was mentioned by someone in admissions if I recall correctly that only 27% overall submitted scores. But again, part of that is because about half their colleges are test blind. Lots of New Yorkers didn’t get a chance to take them either. Then you just have people who took them but chose not to submit.

We are from CA and my S21 did take his SAT but unfortunately the school he applied to at Cornell is test blind (Dyson school of Business). That’s really a bummer but it’s just one criteria.

We’re in NJ, lots of ACT/SAT cancelations here, too. My D21 took the ACT in the fall of her junior year, with the plan to take it again in the spring, which never happened. That’s the only reason she had a score to submit.

We’re in Oregon, fortunately/unfortunately my D21 took a practice SAT and practice ACT as a 1st semester junior, just to see what they’re like, before she took the exams officially. Every one of her subsequent testing dates were cancelled, except for the dumb online AP exams. The good part is that, without any preparation, she did well on the ACT. Her SAT scores were good, but not adequate for the type of school she wants to go to. I’m currently waiting on hundreds in refunds from SAT and ACT. We decided to submit her ACT for most schools, and unfortunately didn’t understand the systems well enough and her SAT scores made it to some schools.

From CA. DS applied test optional. Don’t have data for Cornell, but for U Penn, 38% of ED applicants were test-optional and 24% of accepted were test optional.

It seems that Cornell interview is purely informational and does not play a role in selection process, Is that correct?

3 Likes

True…

Fair comment. All test-optional kids will hope for a holistic review and hoping that the test score is a small but important component for some applicants but nor for all. All test-submitting kids will hope their score will help them get in. I guess we’ll never know, but yes, overall there will be an increase in number of applications and therefore a decrease in general acceptance rate whether you are test-optional or not.

1 Like

Surprised to hear that ED accepted 24% was test optional.
Also surprised that you were rejected with ACT 35. So unpredictable.
Good luck with Cornell!!

1 Like