Cornell University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

(for demographics: female, white, jewish, military family, rly small town in MA, applying to CoAS for astronomy (astrophysics concentration))

3.75 (ik its lower :frowning: ) UW 4.46 W
1530 SAT - National Merit Rural and Small Town Recognition Scholar
5 on AP bio and ap chem, 4 on apush
this year taking all aps: calc bc, physics c, spanish lang, english lit, psych

5 legacy connections: both parents, both grandfathers, my great-grandmother

my ECs:
EMT (co-chief of my school’s program, state+nationally certified, completely volunteer)
volunteer TA for my synagogue
Secretary and Co-Founder of a Students for Social Justice Club, Co-President of Political Awareness Club
Student Council (treasurer this year)
Lacrosse - JV Team Captain, then won the Coaches Award (1 per year)
XC Skiing
Work (target, farm, my library)
FIRST robotics (only did it 9/10 but it was a huge part of my life and we competed in the World champs)
GirlUP - raised $1000+ dollars to help build classrooms and increase access to education in Uganda thru UNICEF by selling baked goods for $1 a piece
Academic Achievement in American Literature

LOR- 1 from my American Lit. teacher (very strong), 1 from my Chem teacher

1 Like

im so scared

I want to give you a virtual ‘hug’ and tell you that you are a strong candidate for Cornell. Enjoy your senior year and wait for the good news.

1 Like

I think you have a pretty good shot. As you pointed out yourself, your gpa is just a tad on the low side, but you balance that nicely with a high SAT and a rigorous curriculum. Your ECs are great, the rural award is nice, you’ve got legacy covered and it sounds like you can write well.

Cornell is all about if you are able to demonstrate that you are a good fit for the specific college and intended Major that you are applying to. My son is a freshman at Cornell and super happy. I hope you are accepted. Good luck!

1 Like

thank you :two_hearts: i can’t wait for decisions to be out

Is anyone applying ED to the Nolan (Hotel) school?

the wait is killing me - i am so stressed

The wait is a lot. I agree. I’d really just like to know the notification date, so I can start anticipating.

Demographic: Female Indian
Major: Physics/ Astronomy
School: Private, not feeder
Board: CBSE

GPA: 4/4 (weighted)
9th, 10th, 11th: Valedictorian (96.2%, 98.8% and 95% respectively)
AP: Physics 1, 2 & C, Chemistry, Calculus AB, Trig, Stats, English Lit., Legal Studies (Optional Subject)

ECs:

Research:- Professor at UCSC on scholarship of $1580 on Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics- Research Paper on Gravitational Waves- Experimental thesis on biodiesel

STEM Club: Director- BIEA Model for traffic control for the City Council- Nanotech Research Paper- Oil Spills Detection & Cleaning Prototype

Computer/Tech:- Aerogarden Model for an International Innovation and Entrepreneurial Competition (4th out of 64 schools) & won at another state science fair- Model & thesis on e-waste disposal won Best Presentation at a state competition

Work (paid): Owner and Founder of a Bakery- Partnered with 3 local businesses, 300+ orders, catered charitable events, shipped across the country

Debate/MUN: Founder- Sec-Gen at one conference & Convener at IWS X Harvard PAIR, trained 300 delegates- EB at two conferences- 25+ accolades at debates & MUNs (6 best dels, 3 high comms, 2 special mentions, 2 verbal mentions)- Winner at International BPD

Community:- Interact Club President & Member of Cabinet at District Interact Club- Selected by CNN for a national campaign on menstrual hygiene- Taught math to kids in my locality- Recital fundraisers- Intend Talks, plantation drives, signal to safety, clean India campaign

Journalism: Editor-in-Chief & Head Journalist- Tata National Essay Writing Winner- Released bimonthly issues

Instrumental Music: Lead Pianist & Core Member of Symphony- 5 instruments, 5 live events, recorded covers in a studio

Sports: U14 & U16 Basketball Team- won three championships

Other clubs:- Head Screenwriter & Member of Theatre & Law Club- Produced a film, organised a book quiz as the quizmaster, library of 600+ books

Essays: I have asked my English Teacher, Counselor, Parents and a friend at Cornell to review them. I received positive response from all of them with a few suggestions here and there which I made if I agreed with them.

LORs: Physics HOD, Chemistry HOD, Counselor, Peer from USC, Peer from Cornell

1 Like
  • Received a Certificate of Achievement for Overall Academic Excellence in Grade 10
  • Awarded the National Certificate of Education with Distinction for Grade 10

Well you should have no problem getting in.

I have an alumni interview on Thursday. Does anyone know anything about the interview process for Cornell (i.e. commonly used questions
)? Thanks

Nolan doesn’t conduct evaluative interviews. These are just conversations with alumni, and won’t affect the admission decision. You can use this opportunity to ask any questions and learn more about the school.

I applied ED to Cornell, and still haven’t heard about the alumni interview. Is there a way I can contact someone to see if I will be contacted, or does it mean that I won’t be contacted? Thanks!

Hi there. Congratulations on your submission. I understand alumni “optional, informal conversations” are for informational purposes only unless you are applying to the college of Architecture, Art & Planning. You can read more here: https://blogs.cornell.edu/admissions/2021/11/02/lets-talk-about-cornell-admissions-interviews/ I appreciate that this may not help specifically answer your question if you requested an alumni conversation but at least you’re not missing anything that could impact the process. Good luck,

I had my interview back in early November. For the school I applied, the interview was non-evaluative. I met, on zoom, with an alumna and she answered my questions. I found it enjoyable. Good luck!

I didn’t apply to that school within Cornell, but was still offered a (non-evaluative) alumni interview. She contacted me via email. I hope that helps.

Hi NY2023GRAD, did you request for the alumni interview at the Cornell portal or thru the common app? TIA.

Hi! I was wondering how long did your interview last, and did they ask you any questions, or was it just you asking her?

I don’t believe I requested it. They contacted me about a week after I submitted my application.