Cornell waitlist 2027

yeah i submitted it late as well on 4/26… do you think this will affect their decision?

I’m guessing it might if they already started looking to fill spots, but given that I haven’t heard of anyone getting off ILR yet I’m hoping for the best…crossing my fingers for us both :slight_smile: What do u think?

when i emailed the ilr admissions, they told me that i should send the letter towards the end of april, which we did, so hopefully they reviewed it. i wish you the best and i hope you get in! keep me updated :slight_smile:

Congratulations!

I got off the Cornell COE waitlist but don’t think I’ll be going over CMU. For context, I’m 100% sure I want to be an engineer/researcher combining biotech with computational tools. Could anyone confirm I’m not losing my mind? I’ve written up a small pro/con list:

CMU (Pros)

• Supposedly better than Cornell at engineering
  • World-class at CS and computational biology
  • Rising reputation(?)
  • Like the location better (urban)
  • Ultra-collaborative

CMU (Cons)

• Nerd culture
  • No social life (I like parties)
  • No diversity (want to meet people other than asians)
  • Bad at BME
  • Small campus

Cornell (Pros)

• Good at BME
  • Ivy name!
  • Beautiful and large campus
  • Lots of diversity in mindset and background. Not as huge of a nerd culture.
  • Social life(?)

Cornell (Cons)

• Much worse at CS, ECE, Comp bio
  • ABSOLUTELY hate the location. Must be in a city to survive.
  • Depressed and cutthroat

Money isn’t a consideration, costs for both schools are roughly the same.

Also, I’ve already made many friends at CMU, and would rather not ditch them in favor of Cornell unless Cornell is clearly much better.

2 Likes

omg ok that’s a big relief thank you so much, and I hope u get in as well!!

1 Like

Did you get off today?

1 Like

If you like the location of CMU, clearly CMU is better. Plus, your interest is bio + CS. In your case, CMU is better.

2 Likes

What major for CMU? My Cornell class of 22 son was between CMU and Cornell. He got into the college of engineering for both but wanted the flexibility to go CS if he decided to change from mechanical. At CMU you can’t change to CS unless you are admitted into the major. He did end up at Cornell and switched to CS right before he started. Started a job as a quantitative developer after graduation.

1 Like

Would you kindly share the process of your getting off the waitlist? Thanks.

Off waitlist

CoE

1 Like

At CMU I got in unrestricted so I’m planning for BME/ECE, and a minor in computational biology (and maybe MechE/MSE since I find those very interesting as well).

@summerMay I received an email asking me to respond to a prompt. I answered the prompt and today Cornell took me off the waitlist.

1 Like

Ironically, I just got it today.

which major

1 Like

Great! Happy for you.

I would just like to know which school is held in higher academic regard, and which is objectively better for my career interests. If it helps, I’d also like to become a professor someday. I’d like to know the exact differences between these two schools as I may just end up stomaching Ithaca for four years.

1 Like

What do you think that makes you stand out among waitlisted student? Region, major, …? Did you do anything beyond writing to respond to the prompt? Thanks for posting it and sharing.

No clue, I’m completely unhooked (SF Bay, male Asian) and a COE applicant. I just answered honestly on their prompt about what interested me in terms of Cornell’s engineering program.

If you want to be in academia, whichever has better resources for the areas you are interested is better. CS is huge in the next few decades. If you can minor CS at CMU, I would recommend CMU. But check if you can minor in CS at CMU, though as one points out you cannot major in CS if you are not admitted to.

Maybe because you are from CA hence add to diversity? Many kids from CA hesitate to go to Cornell.