Cosmos '21

Hello, I’m also a fellow sophomore applying this year, but I’ve had plenty of people around me that has experience to COSMOS. Really, it’s the science field that has the most competition, and I know that the oceanography one is almost guaranteed to get in. Are you picking these clusters just because you want to get into COSMOS? That’s one question I want to throw at you, but to answer your cluster ranking question, here’s what an alumni answered.
(ranked easiest to hardest)
Cluster 8, Cluster 2, and then the rest are almost the same.

I’m not sure if I’m that experienced to tell you advice, but I wish that you enter a cluster that actually interests you. I think the overall COSMOS residential program is a very good experience, but it’s online this year anyway, so I encourage that even more.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Had the same issue last year: at least before the Covid, I went to my high school office and asked for a copy of my middle school transcript. I think you can email them to email it to you.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you, but I have many people around me telling me stuff, so I want to share it out.
Essays are what they mostly look at. That’s one thing everyone says.
I’m also not very great at writing, but this isn’t a writing camp. It’s more about the content and your passion shown in the essay. I advise you to have someone look over it and check, which is what I’m doing. It’s important to have someone see your essay from a different perspective.
I’m finishing up my application over this break, and I wish you luck! Hope this helps everyone.

I am a freshman trying to go into ucsd cluster 1 computers, but I have little extracurriculars because my school and past middle school did not offer STEM related opportunities and barely any clubs, none really related to STEM. I only have how I was a tech assistant for my school in eighth grade. However, my UW GPA this year is a 4.0 and same for middle school. I have two STEM teacher recommendations and I am a pretty good writer. Do I have a chance at that cluster, or can anyone recommend me a cluster (preferably computer or engineering related) better suited for me? Thank you!

Quick question, in the statement of interest, do you talk about your qualifications (extracurriculars, clubs, etc) or do you talk about WHY u wanna do into that specific cluster (like what inspired you). There isn’t a lot of space to expand in the cluster specific essays (only 200 words) so should some extracirrics go in the statement of interest?

I think you can briefly mention your extracurriculars and what they brought you, like good traits/knowledge. And the clusters you choose I’m guessing relate to what you’re passionate about, so in your personal statement ig tell about your passion then be more specific in the cluster essays.

One thing to note is it’s pretty difficult to go to COSMOS as a freshman, but with this year being online and all, I wish you all the best! Also note that COSMOS is a 1 time chance, so once you go, you can’t go again, even if it’s online.

I think your GPA is good enough but there’s going to be plenty of students with a similar GPA so what I recommend is use your great writing skills for the statement/preferences and try to squeeze out any extracurricular activities. Ultimately, those activities can be key.

To answer your question more directly, most of the engineering clusters are pretty competitive, so if you wanted to just do COSMOS, I wouldn’t recommend the most computer science ones. Try to look at ones that interest you and also not too many people perhaps would list as first choice.

Hope this helps somehow. I wish you good luck!

1 Like

Address your introduction to STEM, as well as your accomplishments and your goals.

Quick question, I was able to get my Physics teacher to do my letter of rec but my math teacher didn’t respond :’( so I had to get my English teacher to do my second letter of rec since the second one didn’t necessarily have to be STEM. Will this significantly lower my chances of getting in, or just slightly?

For my personal statement, I mostly wrote about how an extracurricular activity brought my traits and all and for my cluster specific essay, I wrote about what led my interest in STEM. Does that sound good?

That’s the same that I did. I don’t think it matters because as long as both your teachers write about you as an ideal student for COSMOS, I think your chances won’t be affected

Hmmm…my second choice cluster was Cluster 1 at UC Irvine (Applications of Data Science in Health), so I wrote about how my grandfather’s heart attack pushed me towards the health sciences, and how my experience in APCS has given me the desirable traits for this cluster. Do y’all think that’s fine? Or should I maybe focus my full essay on my traits instead of using space for the story?

I’m obviously not an expert, but I think that’s a good balance of showing what motivated you and your skills. But make sure not to spend too much time going into the unnecessary details of the story. Good luck!

It won’t matter, because to be honest the first one is all that matters. I put my counselor as my second.

okay good lol I got kinda worried

It definitely won’t, as long as both teachers write something good. Having two recs is optional, you only need 1, so having two teachers vouch for your leadership skills etc. is already a bonus! :slight_smile:

Which UC are you talking about when you rank clusters 8 and 2?

Yeah I really wish it wasn’t online, ofc due to the current situation it’s not possible to have it in person. The chances of me getting in are really slim, but if I somehow do get in, it’ll be a shame that it’s all online.

I think I meant the clusters 8 and 2 regarding oceanography. I can’t find what I replied to, but I’m pretty sure I meant that.

Regardless, there’s still going to competition.

Yes, I also agree it’s sad that all of it is online, but I think COSMOS knows we’re missing out and they’ll try their best to make the online experience as best as it can be.

does anyone know how competitive cluster 3 (the climate change cluster) in ucsd is?

What kind of stuff are you guys writing in the activities section? Do you guys think self studying a bio textbook is ok to write down? I have one activity that’s legitimate (sciOly captain) but I kind of want to fill the second slot as well.