Cosmos '21

How do you guys know which clusters you got into? It doesn’t tell me.

It doesn’t tell me either.

persistence pays off congrats

2 Likes

congrats! rejected last year and waitlisted this year too lol, would you mind sharing your stats?

1 Like

I only applied for one.

I also got into that cluster!

heck yeah Looking forward to seeing you this summer!

Anyone want to know my app details? (got into UCD, idk which cluster yet). I’m happy to help anyone! :relaxed:

Same

that would be so helpful! would you mind sharing general stats and ecs? i need to build my app for next year haha

Ofc! Let me write down what I put on my app. Give me a sec

1 Like

Campus: UCD

Clusters: 11 and 7

Grade: Freshman (9th)

GPA: 4.0 (but had a B in geometry last year, which was in my MS transcript)

LOR: Alg2/Trig teacher + Bio Teacher

Extracurricular/Activity:

Only wrote one-

“Science Olympiad Team Captain.” For the desc., I described what I did as a member (explored aspects of science and made new friends) and as a captain (created practice tests, maintained a budget, organized group meets).

Personal statement essay:

I talked about how I loved scientific communities. I talked about how I joined SciOly in 6th grade, and fell in love with being in a “tight knit family of scientists.” I also mentioned that my school team was not very good and rarely won medals. In the second half of my essay, I talked about how I became a team captain and, as the only original member left, felt a deep longing to lead my team to victory. I explained how I did a lot of stuff (organize meets, make practice tests for groups) and that led to my team winning more medals in that year’s invitational contest than it had in any of the years prior. And then I mentioned that I got a unique medal for it.

2 Likes

Hope this helps!

1 Like

congrats everyone. i got in 2 years ago (now a junior). feel free to ask me any questions about the experience. I went to UCI specifically but a lotta stuff overlaps across the campuses

ucsc cluster 11 anyone?

Thank youu! Here are my stats:

Accepted
Grade: Junior
Applied to: marine bio clusters (3 & 8) at UCSC
GPA: 3.914

Activities were:
Zooteen (zoo volunteer) at my local zoo since freshman year
Interact club (general member)

Essays- wrote them during spring break whoops

Statement of Interest: 9/10 wrote about a certain Zooteen experience where I overcame my anxieties and taught a group of kids about meerkats! Definitely a boring story, but I made it as imagery-filled as possible and completed it with what I learned and how it relates to my interest towards cosmos
First choice: 9/10 wrote about my experience during a marine invertebrates course at UCSD and how it influenced/amplified my interest in that specific cluster
Second-choice: 8/10 not my favorite, but I still liked it haha
wrote about my experience during a Tufts veterinary course over the summer and how it influenced/amplified my interest in that specific cluster
(These were all edited by my college counselor and my sister)

Recommendation:
9/10 I was only able to get one letter of rec because I literally asked my AP chem teacher a week before (oops) but I feel like it was pretty good!

Honestly didn’t think I would get in since I don’t have the most outstanding ECs or stats but, I feel my essays were definitely the reason I got in lol

General Advice: Just be genuine and raw about where your passions lie and I’m sure you’ll succeed :))

1 Like

And my cluster specific essays

1st choice: UCD cluster 11 -

I wrote about how I became really interested in synergies, and saw them in daily life. I understood that synergies were important in maintaining the ecosystem, and I said I was very eager to see how aquaponic food production, as a synergy, would help sustain our ecosystem.

Thoughts on my 1st choice essay: I’ll be honest, I kind of hate my first choice essay. It was not very relevant to the topic, and was very messily tied back to the cluster. I really doubt I got into my first choice, and if I did, then I 100% only got in because of my personal statement essay, which I think was pretty strong.

2nd choice: UCD cluster 7 -

I wrote about how my grandma used to tell me stories on how malnourished she was due to the Korean War, and “plant pandemics.” I said I understood how devastating it could be if such a thing happened again, and therefore wanted to learn about plant microbiology.

Thoughts on my 2nd choice essay: I think this one was better than my 1st choice because it was actually relevant to the cluster, and was deeply personal. The only reason it was my second choice was because I liked the first choice cluster topic more.

1 Like

accepted into ucsd cosmos!!! :)))))
1st Choice: Cluster 9 - Music & Technology
2nd Choice: Cluster 3 - Climate Change

I’m pretty sure I did! I know I was accepted to the UCSC campus, but my portal hasn’t updated yet. Where do you see yours?

My daughter got accepted COSMOS program, Very happy for her.