COSMOS Affect on UC Admissions

<p>I am wondering if attending COSMOS has any affect on UC admissions.
I checked past posts and some says attending COSMOS gives you extra points on admissions.</p>

<p>The reason I am asking this is that S is accepted to COSMOS this summer and at the same time he may be accepted 6 week internship program held by local computer science companies ( will be found the results at 1st week of May but he needs to be interviewed after that ) and I am not sure if S should accept either one considering admissions.</p>

<p>S will major in Computer Science or Computer Engineering and his EC is ordinary and not exceptional. His stat is ACT comp. 36 and GPA UW 3.75 and UC GPA around 4.4 ( I am not sure if it is completely correct ).</p>

<p>I will appreciate any suggestions.</p>

<p>He has a 36 ACT? Yeah…he doesn’t need extra “points”, even if any of the UC’s were still using a point-based system for admissions…that 4.4 GPA definitely doesn’t hurt either. The internship opportunity would be my pick…seems more relevant and would help in the job search later on. It would also be an “exceptional EC” to add to the application. Then again if I had a 4.4 GPA/36 ACT, I would just vacation lol (sigh, so lazy). If he just wants to do something fun, the COSMOS thing is probably better. Anyway, congrats!</p>

<p>Oceanpartier ( I love your name, sounds so fun!),thank you for your reply.</p>

<p>Yeah, ACT 36 seems to be almighty but I have seen a lot of resentments by students who have “perfect profile” ( GPA, Standard test score, exceptional ECs ) could not get in UC schools they want to, so I became sure the test score only is not reliable.
As for ACT score, DH and I had not known how rare to get that score until we received a congrat letter from ACT.</p>

<p>Originally S leaned on internship since it is directly to do with his major but after we learned how hard to get acceptance for COSMOS and this is only and last chance to attend COSMOS, we became indecisive.</p>

<p>S chose a cluster nothing to do with Computer Science but the description of the study of the cluster he chose seems to be very interesting and it will open S’s eyes to new field in Science and Math.
But if S would do well at internship, he may be able to get another internship next year.</p>

<p>S’s dream school is UCB ( actually Cal Tech, Stanford and MIT, but can’t send him financially even if he will be accepted ) following by UCLA and UCSD.
S is very self motivated person and he would be crushed if he will be rejected by the schools above ( S said he will go to a community college if he could not get in and transfer to UC ).</p>

<p>Well, S needs to wait for internship acceptance anyway.
Any thought and suggestion I will appreciate that.</p>

<p>I think COSMOS does help with UC admissions.</p>