Cost of Attendance

<p>This may be a difficult question. Just wondering if anyone has a real close estimate of the cost of attendance. I’d like to know how my son can get by here paying the least amount as possible. (For reference he has the full tuition scholarship +2500)</p>

<p>This has been discussed many times here on this forum. I will summarize here, but then you could do a forum search on COA or cost of attendance, because there are some terrific posts which I simply cannot duplicate.</p>

<p>The University of Alabama pads its cost of attendance so students can maximize their student loans.</p>

<p>You simply chose lower cost options wherever possible.
Travel home: if from out of state: no or seldom
Travel by the least expensive option
Meal Plan: After year one, none or cheapest plan
Housing: Least expensive option-year one
Off campus -year two to four
Books: Buy used or rent
Car: No car -save gas, parking permit, registration and insurance
Clothing: Bring what you have, thrift store shopping
Entertainment: Plenty of free or very low cost options on campus
Health Insurance: Check and see if your policy will cover your student at<br>
College in Alabama</p>

<p>There are other ways to save if you think creatively, for instance: start stocking up on dorm items now when there are sales like Black Friday, so purchases are cheaper and spread out over time. This particular hint will only work if you are driving to campus or have a cheap way to transport goods.</p>

<p>Hope this helps…</p>

<p>^^^
Agreed.</p>

<p>The first year is the most expensive because of the mandatory all toy can eat meal plan. After frosh year, you can pick a cheaper plan or even no plan.</p>

<p>So first year, expect about 10k for meal plan, dining dollars, course fees, standard dbl dorm, books, etc.</p>

<p>So, the 2500 can go towards that.</p>

<p>For soph year on, cost can be lower by choosing a lesser or no meal plan.</p>

<p>Ack!!!</p>

<p>All you can eat!!</p>

<p>Can’t edit on my phone</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies! I checked the COA and that combined with information I collected from here has given me a good idea of what we have to work with! Bama is so awesome with aid, it’s so satisfying to see S hard work pay off already!!</p>