Could Bama forfeit its last two BCS titles?

<p>[Alabama’s</a> 2012 national title could be in jeopardy if NCAA validates Yahoo! report | al.com](<a href=“http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/09/alabamas_2012_national_title_c.html]Alabama’s”>http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/09/alabamas_2012_national_title_c.html)</p>

<p>Is anyone else freaking out over this, or am I the only one? :o</p>

<p>At Facebook, I posted an article stating that the NCAA probably cannot vacate Bama’s championship titles because Bama had no “institutional knowledge” of Fluker’s acceptance of “impermissible gifts.” Then this know-it-all retorted that the NCAA could indeed revoke the titles on the basis that Bama “knew or should have known.” He said it was just like the USC / Bush case…but everything I’m reading says it’s not like that case.</p>

<p>I’m panicking a bit.</p>

<p>Also…does anyone else find the timing of the YahooSports article a tad suspect? I hope this doesn’t throw the Tide off their stride. I hope it makes the team so fighting mad that they’ll give it all they’ve got this Saturday!!!</p>

<p>I’m counting on the fact that this makes the team so fighting mad that they knock TAMU out of the way today!</p>

<p>Roll tide!</p>

<p>i’m not too worried. The NCAA is actually worried. Big name schools have been quietly whispering that if the NCAA continues its USC-like punishments then they’ll drop out of the NCAA and become completely independent. The NCAA depends on the big name schools’ money-making abilities to fund everything. </p>

<p>Schools are telling the NCAA that the entire program shouldn’t be punished when one person does something wrong. A school can’t control 75+ players 24/7. Heck, if the NCAA expects the schools to be so controlling, then they’d let schools issue monitored cell phones, and other devices to know what these kids are doing all the time.</p>

<p>The NCAA most definitely CAN vacate those championships. It will depend on what they find in their investigation which will most likely take a very long time.</p>

<p>The key thing that got USC into trouble over the Bush fiasco, is that a USC coach was found to have known about the improprieties, and did nothing. So far, there is zero evidence any UA coach knew about Fluker’s alleged improprieties.</p>

<p>The USC issue was a final citation of “Lack of Institutional Control”. Their compliance department was skeletal at best. Seems there was no accountability and they were punished severely. Here’s hoping every other Athletic Department in the country learned from that incident. No one wants to go through that. So, it just might come down to proving “who knew what…and when?”.</p>

<p>As already stated, it comes down to who knew what and what they did with said information. So far it seems that no coach or person in charge of anything within UA football knew nothing about what went on with Fluker. Saban seems like the type that makes sure all t’s are crossed and i’s dotted and runs a tight ship. They can’t be with the players and their families 24/7 but they do seem to make sure they do their best to tell these guys what is wrong and what is allowed. </p>

<p>What I hate is this is all knowing adults that KNOW BETTER that are preying on these kids and their families. They knew Flukers background and took advantage of that. That is a disgrace. I’d be ashamed of myself. The NFL agents are playing dirty and trying to beat each other to the players by throwing money and gifts at them to win their favor. Those are the ones that need to be banished from any form of sports and off college campuses across the country. Think it is high time we have a licensing program for sports agents that has some teeth in it that will put the brakes on some of this crap. It ends up hurting innocent kids that had nothing to do with the activities that went on. Same for the coaches that turn a blind eye and allow these things to go on. No ditching college ball to head to the pros to avoid any punishment. Which will mean the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc will need to put down the law as well. </p>

<p>BTW, if lil Johnny can get away with all of the crap he has been doing, what Fluker did was nothing.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all!</p>

<p>Atlanta, you said: “The key thing that got USC into trouble over the Bush fiasco, is that a USC coach was found to have known about the improprieties, and did nothing. So far, there is zero evidence any UA coach knew about Fluker’s alleged improprieties.”</p>

<p>That was my understanding, too. But this know-it-all guy said the NCAA could apply the standard “knew or should have known.” It’s the “should have known” part that worries me. But, as several of y’all pointed out, that standard is absurd. How can any coach know what every player is doing 24/7? Clairvoyance (not to mention omniscience!) is not part of the job description.</p>

<p>Thanks again, y’all. ROLL TIDE!!!</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>LadyD, not only that… how is every coach to know what a players family is doing. There is no way. I’d say it is just a sour grape that hates on Alabama that is spouting off like that. Let’em be.</p>

<p>After seeing Reggie Bush (who was a Saint at the time) having to return his Heisman after the USC investigations, I would not be surprised at all if Bama received some pretty harsh sanctions as a result of this report.</p>

<p>

From what I’ve read I’d agree with this. In the USC case there were all sorts of signals something was amiss … Bush was living way above his family’s means. In the Bama case, at least so far, we have not heard anything of any signals that would have made anyone suspect anything. Time will tell but given the current info it looks good for Bama.</p>

<p>If they gave UA any sanctions for Flukers mom taking enough money to buy a bedroom set of furniture, then A&M should be thrown out. They didn’t sanction Johnny boy or A&M for all of his misdeeds.</p>