Course Rigor for admission at UC

Do UCs such as Berkeley and LA care that much if you did not take the honors classes that were not UC approved? For instance, an honors english class for sophomore year. I will have taken 11 UC approved honors/AP/college classes by the end of senior year in a very competitive school, but I did not take very many of the “honors” classes that our school offered but do not get the extra point from the UCs.

Yes, I think they will care as when they compare your courses to other people at your school, they will see a noticeable difference.
I’m pretty sure that they only want your 10-12 course list so if you didn’t take the honors 9th grade, it shouldn’t be held against you.

How do top UC’s(or any competitive college) view taking AP Statistics over AP Physics? I’m already taking AP Calc BC but chose to take an extra math over a 4th year of science because of my future major of economics

@rdeng2614 Uhh… They ask for all grades and courses.

Yes, my mistake they want to see 9th grade course list but they only use grades from 10-11 for admission purposes. They want to see 9th grade courses to make sure you meet the a-g requirements. They also want to see the grades for 9th grade courses to make sure that you passed them, thereby satisfying the UC a-g course requirement.
How many honors courses that you didn’t take are we talking here?
Also, did your peers take the honors courses or were they like you and did not take very many of the honors courses?
Course rigor is all relative.

If the honors classes you didn’t take were not approved as honors courses by the UC system, I doubt they would hold it against you, though it would depend on how many UC-approved honors courses you took in 10th and 11th grade, seeing as those are what go into calculating your UC GPA.

Honors courses that aren’t UC-approved aren’t UC-approved for a reason–the UC system doesn’t consider them to be as rigorous as the ones that they have approved. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

You’re stressing too much about the insignificant factors. As long as you have a good amount of APs and Honors courses on your shoulders, it shouldn’t matter that much whether or not you took the non-approved courses.
The main factors that determine your admission chances are: GPA, SAT/ACT score, your essay and extracirriculars. If you are solid on those three factors, you shouldn’t need to worry too much about the other factors since they aren’t as significant.