Course sign up - locked out of system

<p>Every time I get excited to see new time slots open so that my son can adjust his schedule, he is locked out of the system.</p>

<p>Why does the system lock out kids?</p>

<p>For example, today, no changes may be made until 5 p.m. for anyone who has already registered.</p>

<p>Does this occur every time there is a Bama Bound for transfers or freshmen?</p>

<p>If that is the case, then we made a strategic error by not attending an Honors Bama Bound because he will never be able to get into UH courses.</p>

<p>Yes, they lock everyone out during the time period that the current Bama Bound students are registering. If there is a specific class you S wants you may want to have him contact the honors college and see if they will give him an override to register for the class. The worse thing they can do is say no.</p>

<p>Thank you. I thought we understood things, but obviously not.</p>

<p>Try getting on around 9 am. They start releasing classes before the current Bama Bounders go in to register. I was able to switch my chemistry class time slot before being locked out.</p>

<p>Longhaul, we thought the same way you did, and ended up making a call to one of the departments in order to get a departmental honors class spot opened up. Still have not dealt with any of the honors seminars.</p>

<p>I don’t know if things have changed since last year, but my D was always able to move things around on the 2nd day of BB - always at about 9 am.</p>

<p>kda119 – Today was BB day 2. DS was locked out of the system since 7 last night.</p>

<p>Beth’s Mom – Things have changed this year and has left us very frustrated.</p>

<p>Example - today at 11:55, there were slots open in various Chem courses and labs. At 11:57, all opening were wiped off – not taken up, but wiped off. So CAP decreased on the courses.</p>

<p>MSUBAMA – I will be calling the department. Thanks for the suggestion.</p>

<p>Maybe they were having problems with people who have already been to Bama Bound getting all the classes they released before the current Bama Bounders could get their classes. I went to BB May 30-31 and moved my classes around during the next session on day 2 at 9 am. So it has been awhile.</p>

<p>Longhaul – ditto for us on the lock-out. DD is trying to change her Chem 101 class to another time so she can take another class that she is interested in. The Chem 101 slots are there when locked out due to BB and then disappear at 12:00 noon. Very frustrating.</p>

<p>I’m trying to do the same thing with chem 101 and sent an email to the chem department on Tuesday, but have yet to receive a response.</p>

<p>I have been checking my S’s account. Earlier this am, it said he was locked out of the system until 12 pm. When I checked just now, he is able to add/drop/move classes, so he is not locked out. I’m sure there are different rules for different levels of students. This might be a change from last year, when any student could go on anytime after the 2nd BB day and move around as they liked. </p>

<p>This is good intel for next year’s incoming students, and for any student who has not yet attended BB. I’d be interested to know if there indeed has been a conscientious change to BB registration procedures, and the reasons for it, if anyone gets a response out of UA staff. (Individual depts might not know the reason; so you’d have to contact the registrar’s office instead?) Thanks for updating us all.</p>

<p>Sarah - Haven’t tried an email to the department. Let me know how you make out. DD is trying to flip the 9am MWF (McDuffie) for the 11am MWF (Busenlehner) so she can take another 9am class. She needs Chem 101 for her major.</p>

<p>DS sent an e-mail requesting an override with his CWID to Dr Shaughn in the Chemistry department explaining his situation and need to swap a CH 101 for a different time slot in order to fit in some other courses that are only offered once.</p>

<p>Dr. Shaughn replied quickly and provided the override.</p>

<p>His e-mail is <a href=“mailto:kshaughn@bama.ua.edu”>kshaughn@bama.ua.edu</a>. The CWID and the CRN for requested courses should be included in the e-mail. My son needed a lab time changed and sent several CRNs.</p>

<p>I just don’t understand why the CAP for the class is lowered just minuted before the lock out of the system is completed. </p>

<p>Heck, I think just on this thread here our kids could have swapped times and been all would be fine. I understand wanting to give each BB session some time to register, but there should also be some leeway in first year schedules since some items are still shaking out (AP scores, testing into higher language, etc)</p>

<p>Thanks Longhaul. We will try an email to the department to see if they will let her do an override and switch. The worse they can do is say no!</p>

<p>DD just got an email telling her she is taking too many honors credits and that she should think about changing sections in some courses. Based on the problems you all are having, I will NOT be recommending she change a thing - too much chance of not getting classes she needs just to change the section.</p>

<p>D received the same email regarding Honors Classes… I don’t see the issue. BioH, Chem, UH155, UH 105, UH 103 (AA), GBA 171 (Stem) and Soccer. D only needs one Humanities plus science all other core classes are taken. I don’t think she will drop anything.</p>