Craig and Galen Brown Foundation - 2020

Has anyone been notified regarding interview for the Brown Foundation Scholarship? Was wondering about location? date? timing? for this year.

Houston. My son was asked to interview on the 20th of this month, but unfortunately, he has finals on that day so we are asking for a different date.

Unfortunate but I am guessing the committee will understand the importance of finals. It says something about your S and your family that you want to keep first things first. From what I have heard about the Brown Foundation, I would bet they will be willing to find a different time. Keep us posted.

@Olecollegetry , have you gotten an invite yet? Are you a national merit? Last year, Mr. Brown even did phone interviews in February so there is still plenty of time for you to be contacted!

Yes on national merit! Anxiously waiting for invitation email so thanks for reminding me about timeframe. I have tried to convince my S accepting a Brown award would lead to opportunities that he wouldn’t get from schools on the coasts. A&M would be a great fit for him. He is very interested but that may wane without this distiction.

@Olecollegetry , are y’all in Texas? Hang in there!

We are in Oklahoma. Thanks for your encouragement and interest. You have a Brown Scholar at A&M? Do they participate in honors engineering or other extras that have fit for your kiddo?

@Olecollegetry , well, then, Howdy Neighbor! Yes, my daughter is a freshman Brown scholar and is in Engineering Honors. She is also on the Debate team and travels some of the weekends to tournaments. She is quite involved with a campus church and a FLO too. There are a lot of Freshman Leadership Organizations (FLOS) that the kids can apply/interview for. There are too many interested kids for many of these organizations so they have to compete for spots. There are other organizations that they can just join though and don’t have to interview for. Being a National Merit, your kiddo has many options! University of Texas at Dallas and Texas Tech give full rides without any additional interviews which is nice.

My son had to move one of his interviews for the Brown Scholarship as he had Regional Band/orchestra auditions that day and it was no problem. He did get the scholarship and is now a junior. It has been an amazing opportunity for him. If you have any questions about the scholarship please feel free to,ask.

My son got a reply back this morning, and they said they will just move the interview to the beginning of the next year. I don’t know why I was so nervous about asking for rescheduling while my husband took the whole thing so casually. I guess I was just fulfilling my duty as THE “worrier” of our family. ? Thank you all for your posts … certainly helped calming my nerve quite a bit while waiting for the reply back.

@ATTX , oh good! lol, yes, somebody needs to fulfill the “worrier” duties of the family! Way to step up to the plate! :slight_smile:

@ATTX , That’s great! Are you all planning to drive or your son will be flying in for interview? I feel all Mom’s are “worrier” in the family.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but had anybody gotten a Brown scholarship interview for a BIMS major?

Sorry that I have not replied … I was one of the “lucky” ones that had login trouble for the site. Finally worked today.

We don’t know if we are going to drive down or let him fly in for the interview – it will depend on the day of the week. If they keep the same schedule as the cancelled 12/20 interview – their flight arrives Houston around 7 am so that means we probably need to stay there over night or start driving down at 3 am :frowning: .

My son is a National Merit Semifinalist and has not heard anything about the Brown Scholarship yet. I am guessing not many have since there is only one person posting here so far. Fingers crossed!

I know they are flying 16 kids from DFW area to interview this Friday (12/20). But I’m assuming more will be notified for Jan. interview. Good luck.

@ATTX , interesting! That is a different approach than last year. Do they fly in and back home all on Friday?

In looking into this program last night, I realized DS may have made a critical error, though we let him do his admission process on his own and offered to proof essays, which he welcomed. Of course he was welcome to ask questions and we did the FAFSA in preparation.

The Brown Scholarship states that two letters of recommendation should have been uploaded in order to qualify. He stated that guaranteed admission did not require (may be the key word here) letters of recommendation. He has letters for other scholarships and could have certainly uploaded them but does not recall anything about the scholarship portion recommending letters be uploaded.

Did he overlook something? Should he upload letters now, even though it’s past the deadline for this particular scholarship? He did get an interview with Brockman, but that one handled letters separately.

It’s so hard as a parent to let go and then wonder if you should have looked over their shoulder more. Maybe my questions can help someone next year even if it’s too late for mine to do anything to have a shot at the Brown Scholarship.

@AeroEngMom , don’t worry or despair on any mommy part! I don’t think you have overlooked anything. Last year, my daughter was emailed and asked to submit the letters of recommendation via email. But more importantly, there was no separate application process for the Brown Scholarship. We were told that the TAMU scholarship office selects about 100 applications to “send over” to Mr. Brown and he picks from those who he wants to interview. He told the parents that he has no set number of scholarships that he gives out. It could vary from year to year based on the applicant pool. It is totally up to his discretion. I don’t know how the scholarship office selects their initial pool but I will tell you that my daughter has met several brilliant NMF students at TAMU who never got a Brown interview (I say this to encourage that if anyone’s kid does not get a Brown interview, don’t think they are “lesser” in any way!)

@TXRunningMom. Yes, the flight leaves (DFW) around 5:30 am and arrives (Houston) about 6:30 am. The return flight arrives DFW around 7:30 pm. I don’t know how many kids actually are able to attend that interview (final exams) … maybe with less kids, they will fly home earlier?