Craig and Galen Brown Foundation Scholarships?

<p>Does anybody have experience with the Craig and Galen Brown Foundation scholarships?
Any recipients here on CC?
Any information on the interview process?</p>

<p>Did you already got an interview. DS, just got a note from director that he needs to submit some recs so that they could forward his application to the foundation. When did you hear from them?</p>

<p>^Same as you, probably. Monday morning. My son didn’t interview yet. </p>

<p>Any Craig and Galen Brown Scholars out there? :)</p>

<p>Hi: Yes, my son is a Brown Foundation Scholar and a freshman at A&M. It’s an awesome opportunity, and if your child is selected he/she should definitely make the trip to Houston to interview. The Brown Foundation will fly your child there and get him/her to the interview if you live a great distance from Houston. Of about all the NM students who apply to A&M only about 30 are selected for the interview. Of those, Mr. Brown awards about 10 per year. Feel free to PM me if you would like any other information.</p>

<p>^Cool, bringbackpluto! I remember “talking” to you last year, as your son made his college decision. He turned down a President’s Scholar interview weekend at SMU, as I recall, to take advantage of all the great scholarships he got at TAMU. At least I think I got that right. And didn’t your son take that trip to Italy last summer?</p>

<p>My son was awarded a very generous Brown Foundation scholarship. He’s really stoked! Is wearing his TAMU t-shirt today. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>He’s going to continue putting off any decisions until all financial aid packages are in, but he is very interested in TAMU and all that the Honors program and Foundation Scholars have to offer! It’s exciting.</p>

<p>Congrats, SimpleLife! My son is a Brown Scholar also, and it has been a great experience.</p>

<p>^Wow. Great! What year is he? And how has he liked A&M, all in all? Has he had much experience with huge classes? Or has he managed to take mostly smaller ones? And of all the various honors opportunities offered at TAMU and through their engineering program, which ones has your son enjoyed the most? Ever any regrets about choosing TAMU over any other schools that were on his list?</p>

<p>I hope you don’t mind all the questions! If you’d rather PM the answers, let me know. My PM list is restricted to “contacts,” but I’ll make you a contact if that works better for you!</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I’m happy to pm if you prefer. He’s a freshman and loves A&M and is pleased with his decision. Some classes are big, but even in one huge lecture class, the prof knew his name because he had gone to ask questions during office hours. His honors classes have been small. This semester he has 3 small classes and 2 large lectures. He likes the honors dorm and honors classes.</p>

<p>^Oh. No. I don’t necessarily prefer PM. Whatever works for you. I’m going to add you to my contact list, and then you can choose.</p>

<p>When you say “large lectures,” how large are they? And isn’t there any way around such huge classes? With all the honors options, you’d think people could get by with only small-ish classes.</p>

<p>Has he taken advantage of any specific opportunities as a Brown Scholar that he wouldn’t have otherwise had?</p>

<p>@bringbackpluto: same questions to you, if you’re willing. You’re already on my contacts list, so feel free to PM! </p>

<p>Thanks, you two! :)</p>

<p>SimpleLife, I sent a PM to you. (:</p>

<p>My daughter just found out she got the interview for this scholarship. She is really nervous about it. So am I! Can anyone here give me some tips or ideas about the questions they might ask? She is kind of quiet and I thought a little preparation might benefit her. Oh, how I love CC…we have learned so much here.</p>

<p>^Congrats, Debbie7452! I wouldn’t worry about the fact that your daughter’s quiet. One thing I noticed about every Brown Scholar I’ve met so far is that each one of them seems to be “sweet,” selfless, and humble. Several of them are quiet. It seems like a lot of sweet, selfless, humble people are kind of on the quiet side. My son is sort of quiet when he first meets people, but I think he does a pretty good job in interviews. One girl we know very well is, imo, painfully quiet and shy! She interviewed for the scholarship and got it. I don’t think being quiet puts Mr. Brown off in any way. My sense is that he’s looking for great character, good citizenship, and academic and extracurricular strengths.</p>

<p>It’s trite, but she really should just be herself. Based on what I know about the other Brown Scholars I’ve since met, I’m guessing she’s naturally genuine. She should just go with that and relax! They already know much of what they need to know about her, I’m guessing they just want to confirm it in-person.</p>

<p>Best of luck and congrats to her so far!
:)</p>

<p>Congrats! When is her interview? If she hasn’t had it yet, feel free to pm me and I can fill you in. It is a laid back interview process.</p>

<p>^Hi barfly! I think you shared a lot of insight with us as well, when my son was looking. You were very nice and helpful! :)</p>

<p>Sorry, Debbie. I didn’t think to offer that option. I’ll put you on my contacts list, just in case you’d like to PM me as well. (My account’s set up that way – must list you as a contact first.)</p>

Anyone hear anything yet about this year’s Brown Foundation scholarship to TAMU?

^Hi, Barfly! Have you got another youngster applying for 2015? Best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

@SimpleLIfe, I’ll send you a PM!

@SimpleLife‌ I was recently offered a phone interview for the Foundation Scholarship. Do you know how much the scholarship is worth, and whether there are two stages for the interview (a phone stage, and then an interview stage with Mr. Brown himself)

@indianboy2400, I am just learning that the whole process has changed this year. There didn’t use to be phone interviews, for instance. I very recently heard that it is a two-stage interview now. I have also heard that the second phase won’t necessarily be with Mr. Brown. I don’t know anything about the new process first hand. I heard everything I know very recently from a little birdie. It’s interesting. I look forward to hearing more!

The scholarships used to be for varying amounts – some students received up to the full cost of tuition, fees, room, and board. But I don’t know if they’ll also be changing the amounts this year or not.

Congratulations on your phone interview, though! That is great news!

PS – @indianboy2400, about 6 months ago, via PM, I put some time and thought into composing a detailed and personal response to three of your personal and direct questions. I never heard a thing back. Some time after that, I asked you on the initial thread if you got my PM. Still nothing. Older, different-generation-adult to much-younger-adult: It’s polite to respond when somebody takes the time to help you out. I revealed personal details to you. It came across to me, in retrospect, that you were not worthy of my time or trust. I am assuming that you would rather not come across that way, so I thought it was important to let you know that you did.

Has anyone heard anything yet? @indianboy2400, did you have your interview and how did it go?