Craig & Galen Brown Foundation Scholarship

Has anyone else applied for the Brown scholarship? Has anyone heard anything? I applied for it and I believe applicants are supposed to hear if they are under consideration within the first two weeks of December. Hoping and praying I will hear something! Anyone else?

Bump

My son just had a phone interview for the Brown Scholarship last night. I’m not sure what the next step is or when he will hear anything else about it.

The Financial Aid tab on the Howdy Portal was just now updated with 2017-2018 Scholarship and Financial Aid decisions!! Not sure if this scholarship’s results will be there but worth a look.

Does anyone have any idea as to what kind of kids/stats are getting this award? Thanks. My D will be a Fall 2018 applicant.

1 Like

My D was a Brown Scholar. She has since graduated so her stats might be dated. I don’t know anyone else’s stats but hers were good. Ranked third in her high school class of 600 and 1540/1600 old SAT. There’s not a separate application. Kids are selected to interview based on their Apply Texas application and essays. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

@crazy4info My D just rec’d Brown $. 1500 new SAT, NMF, 2/450 rank, heavy class load, IB diploma, NHS, some extra curriculars, lots of varied volunteer hrs.

@Momtaro congratulations to your D! That’s very exciting-- a full ride to a&m is amazing! My daughter has similar stats - 225 on PSAT in Texas, 1500 on new SAT, IB diploma, NHS, church leadership…but her rank is 27/540. Which I think is amazing (haha), but compared to the CC kids, she is a slacker!

@crazy4info I know what you mean! My D’s volunteering was heavy church youth group, mission trips and local church food pantry. I think my D’s year the PSAT cutoff was 220 for NMSemiFinalist and she was 224 so yours should walk right through to NMF. I don’t know how Brown chooses the 60 they interview. A group of Admissions people choose 100 NMSemi’s to send to Brown. Brown chooses 60 to interview and 25-30 get scholarships. If they are ENGR, Brown may give full ride b/c Craig Brown is an Aggie Engr.

My son received it as well, NMF, 1530 sat, 34 act, lots of AP, 4.0 unweighted GPA. Plays oboe, captain of the hs swim team which won states last year, variety of volunteer. He felt like he had a solid memorable essay and felt really good about the interview. He feels very honnored to receive this scholarship, it is an amazing opportunity.

My DS is getting to interview for the Terry foundation scholarship. I have found very little information concerning the interview process. So, would y’all mind sharing with me what the interview was like for the Brown scholarship? His interview is April 7th in Houston.

@3boysmom92 My DD couldn’t get to Houston for the interview, so she did a phone interview with Brown and rec’d $. The original plan was a group would be flown into Houston and picked up. Each individually interviewed and lunch provided and taken back to the airport. The phone interview was with a former Brown Scholar and it was a get to know you interview. What’s your passion, how did you decide to go into what you’re choosing, etc… Very, very, very nice people. Mine applied for Terry but didn’t hear anything. Terry is all about leadership! Best of luck to your DS! '90.

Thanks Momtaro! DS has great ECs, in leadership positions in several of them, maybe that is why he was picked. It says the student needs to have knowledge of the family financials, which tells me it is need based, which we do not qualify for. So, I doubt he will receive this, but I think it is a huge honor just to get this far.

Since we are not in Texas my son had a phone interview for the Brown Scholarship. The person he interviewed with was a former Brown Scholar and was extremely nice. He made my son feel very at ease and he felt he had a great interview. They talked for nearly an hour. A couple of weeks later he was told that Mr. Brown wanted to talk with him and we thought that was the final interview but he was offered the scholarship at that point. Mr. Brown was also very friendly and made my son feel very comfortable. My son was very nervous for both phone calls but it ended up being a very good experience for him. We feel very blessed that he was selected, it is a wonderful opportunity for him.

Terry foundation scholarship does have a need component.

@AGmomx2 Could you point me in the right direction for researching the scholarship? I thought need was a component. Thanks

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Terry-Freshmen-Scholarship-FAQ#0-WhatarethecriteriafortheTerryScholarship%3F under criteria : demonstrate financial need

Financial need is established through the FAFSA filing which is due March 15 for that scholarship.