Crimson Student Living - opinions?

<p>DS and his friends are looking at a unit at Crimson Student Living for 2014-2105 and may have to make a quick decision.</p>

<p>During the day there is a crimson ride shuttle every 30 mins until 6 o clock or so but I am worried about transportation at night. One of the boys will probably have a car but I don’t feel too comfortable with DS being dependent on someone else all the time. The Crimson Ride website says the farthest south that 348-Ride will go is 15th St and these apartments are a bit further than that, at 1100 17th St. I sent an email to the Crimson Ride office ask about 348-ride but the office is of course closed for the break, so I thought I would ask here, does anyone know if 348 ride will go to Student Crimson Living?</p>

<p>Also, is the surrounding neighborhood safe? The complex is listed as a Crimson Choice housing property so it must have met some of the UA Housing criteria for safety but as we are unfamiliar with the area it would be great to hear from anyone whose child lives or has lived there. Thanks</p>

<p>348 ride would go to Crimson Living. That’s not very far away.</p>

<p>1100 17th St
Tuscaloosa‎ AL‎ 35401</p>

<p>I’m not sure how safe that is at night walking around by oneself. Did that used to be Crimson Sterling?</p>

<p>Yes. That’s the one.</p>

<p>Have you seen this? I know it’s only one review and 2 years old, but the murder in the parking lot might give a parent pause. </p>

<p>[Crimson</a> Apartments - Tuscaloosa, AL](<a href=“http://www.yelp.com/biz/crimson-apartments-tuscaloosa]Crimson”>http://www.yelp.com/biz/crimson-apartments-tuscaloosa)</p>

<p>There are also some helpful posts on their Facebook page. Look at posts by others.</p>

<p>Thanks, yes I had found out about the shooting from Google, definitely cause for concern especially as DS hasn’t been there long enough or spent enough time off campus to be familiar with the neighborhoods. I’ll take a look at their FB page, thanks for pointing that out.</p>

<p>My DD currently lives there. We were very concerned at first, but it has been a positive experience so far. The surrounding neighborhood is not good. There have been armed robberies at the laundry mat by the Little Caesar’s behind Student Crimson Living this year.</p>

<p>However with that said, management has done their best to accommodated my worried mother concerns. I was extremely upset with the shooting on the property 2 years ago. We researched it with the police department. It was a stray bullet that randomly struck a visitor to the property around 2am in the morning. The gun was not fired on the property, but outside of it. As upsetting as it is, this unfortunately is the world we live in.</p>

<p>They did put my DD and her roommates in a ground floor, inside (pool view) apartment that is tornado safe. The security around the building is good. The entire complex is gated with security locks. I would insist that they be placed on the main site (where the pool and gym are located.) There are 3 building across the street. I did not want my daughter to have to cross the street anytime of day if she wanted to use the gym or pool. </p>

<p>Their transportation is reliable. DD was without a car for 2 weeks and had no problems getting to and from campus. The high school across the street is used for game day parking so when we visit for football games we can park for free in her complex and walk with the crowd to the stadium. It is also safe on game day nights to walk back with the crowd.</p>

<p>DD will live in her sorority house next year otherwise she would have re-signed to stay there. The rent was reasonable, utilities affordable, and it came furnished. Oh, one thing we did find odd. The apartments do not come with microwaves. Not a deal breaker, but something that didn’t occur to us that she would need after living in Riverside West (which came with a microwave.) PM me if you want more detailed information. I am happy to help!</p>

<p>Thank you STLCrimsonMom, that is very helpful!</p>

<p>My son’s best friends are living there this year. He spends every weekend over there. Have heard no complaints from him about safety, noise. He parks in a visitor space when he visits. His friends take the shuttle to campus and don’t even have parking permits.</p>