CS and ECE double major?

<p>So, I'm gonna be a CS major in the college of science at purdue. However, I was recently considering double majoring in CS and ECE. Is this really possible to double major between the college of engineering and college of science? I'm officially accepted as a CS major in the college of science, and I got a presidential scholarship. If I were to switch colleges, I will lose the scholarship, so I don't want to officially switch to the college of engineering. Would I have to switch to do a double major?</p>

<p>Also, I'm not even sure I want to do ECE because I'm not sure if I would like it or not. I'm gonna have to do more research into what all ECE entails. I was actually originally planning to double major in CS and math since I love both subjects, and there is significant course overlap. So, I could possibly triple major? lol</p>

<p>Basically what do you guys think about ECE? Do you guys think I would like it?</p>

<p>Not only would I not recommend double majoring, but especially not with engineering/CS which are both ridiculously difficult.</p>

<p>You might say to yourself, “I can handle it” but trust me, do your first semester and then try and tell yourself that.</p>

<p>I don’t necessarily think that CS or ECE are incredibly hard. It seems to depend on who you are and if you like those subjects. However, I’m actually considering a CS major with an ECE minor. Is that plausible? and I’m mostly concerned with if I will actually like ECE or not.</p>

<p>You may not think they are “hard” but the work load for both of those majors are pretty heavy so it may not be as easy as you think. I think you should wait until you see what your CS classes are like and then figure out if you can add a ECE major or a ECE minor.</p>

<p>I hate it when people make claims about difficulty without actually knowing anything about the classes. If you know so much about it, why are you asking?</p>

<p>… I never made a claim on my perception of the difficulty of those subjects. I just said it really depends on who you are, and that’s at least what i’ve heard from other threads. I also actually do know about CS (not much about ECE), and most of my question is really if I would like ECE or not. Maybe that is a dumb question, but I was trying to get some good input from engineering majors or ECE majors.</p>

<p>so I have a cousin who studies in Purdue Engineering rightnow. He studies Civil Engineering. He said Double Major ECE and CS is impossible (you will have to learn at least 5 years (yes at least)) Why would you ask if you know you can do it… ? Try and don’t cry</p>

<p>I’ll be in ECE next year so I don’t know personally how hard it is. First Year Engineering was a joke in my opinion, so even if you do well in that don’t expect to continue doing well in ECE. However I have a lot of friends in ECE and CS. My friend in CS says that CS is a lot of work and he sometimes sleeps in Lawson to finish CS projects. My friends in ECE have told me that ECE essentially becomes your life. If you want to try double majoring go ahead. You will definitely postpone your graduation to 5 years(maybe 6?) because the two majors don’t really have any overlapping classes. If you still want to attempt to double major, go ahead, no one is stopping you.</p>

<p>hey, thanks for the input. like i said before, I’ll prolly pursue an ECE minor if that’s still possible to do in 4 years and if I still want to. I definitely don’t wanna be there for more than 4. And I guess if I want to find out whether I would like ECE or not, I would have to sit in on some ECE classes or something.</p>

<p>If you really want to to double-major, I’d recommend starting with one (CS, perhaps) and, after completing that degree, see if you want to complete what it takes to get the ECE major. That way, you have a BS under your belt if you’ve grown weary of studying. Keep in mind that you could just go to grad school in ECE/CS after your BS is done. For the 5-6 years a double-major might take, you’d be almost done w/ a Master’s degree.</p>

<p>Dude, don’t bite off more than what you can chew. I’ve haven’t been in a Engineering class but from what I hear from all the Engineering majors/graduates is that it is a hard major. Doesn’t matter what branch you go into.</p>

<p>You have a wonderful scholarship for the CS major. I would advise you not to drop it. Even you said yourself that you’re not for sure if you would like ECE all the way.</p>

<p>Besides, ECE is Electrical Computer Engineering right? If so, from what I know anyway, CompE is just a combination of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science so I don’t think there would be any point in double majoring in ECE and CS.</p>

<p>Triple major? Dude, pull that train back some baby, you’re about to jump tracks.</p>

<p>There just isn’t enough time in the day to do both, it’s that simple. You’d be risking your health (seriously) and bringing down your GPA.</p>