CS placement exam

<p>Looking to register for ST 260 and discovered CS 102 is pre req. have been at Bama for a year now, can he still take a placement exam for CS to cover the 102 ? who would he contact to find out? Although son is not a computer wiz, CS 102 sounds very basic.</p>

<p>He should still be able to take the CS 102 placement exam. If he’s reasonably proficient with computers, he might be able to ask for a CS 102 waiver without needing to take the exam.</p>

<p>I have called testing services. I have called CS. I have tried Bama Bound office. Everyone is friendly and helpful and gladly gives me another phone number to try.
Also tried a link I found in an older CC post. It said for CS exam click here… And that page can not be found. I’m beginning to think it is not offered anymore.</p>

<p>I would have the student contact Dr. Kathleen Morris, who teaches the class. She should be able to tell him whether he can get around taking it and whether/how he can take the placement test.</p>

<p>I am very curious to know what you find out. It appears that S will need to deal with this issue in order to take other “C” classes. He has ST 260 covered with AP credit, but I have run into the same obstacles when trying to find out if CS 102 can be exempted. He is currently taking CS 120, so it seems like CS 102 wouldn’t be necessary. Just can’t figure out how to get it waived.</p>

<p>Dr. Morris is definitely the person to talk to. I sent her an email regarding my son taking it, and she responded back promptly. She also sent me this website with all the information: [CS</a> 102 Placement Assessment](<a href=“http://assessment.cs.ua.edu/]CS”>http://assessment.cs.ua.edu/).</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>What other classes is CS 102 a pre-requisite? My son will hopefully go in with ST 260 AP credit. So he won’t have to take CS 102? He is an Econ major.</p>

<p>St 260 is a pre req for all 300 level Econ classes.
I have no idea how CS 102 works with AP Stat credit.</p>

<p>I’ve ran into issues with CS being listed as a prerequisite for upper division classes, though the issue was quickly fixed by emailing my advisor. I had the CS 102 requirement waived by my advisor due to having previously taken a statistics and many other classes online, so it was pretty clear that I knew how to use a computer.</p>