Cs scholarship and sat

<p>Son was trying for the 1330 that would bump his scholarship to Presidential since his major will be cs. He got a 1320. He is finished test taking. Cum act is 28 (math 33). Does the college of engineering bump up the regular merit awards with a 1320? Sad! It would have been nice to have my boys together.</p>

<p>You have a bigger problem. With a 1320, your son won’t even get the 2/3 scholarship that he first needs to get the university award.</p>

<p>UA Scholar requires a 1330. So, at this point, there is nothing to “bump up”. He doesn’t have the 2/3 scholarship to bump up.</p>

<p>UA SCHOLAR</p>

<p>An out-of-state first time freshman student who meets the December 1st scholarship priority deadline, has a 30-31 ACT or 1330-1390 SAT score [critical reading and math scores only] and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a UA Scholar and will receive 2/3 tuition for four years.</p>

<p>However, it is likely that in the spring bama will award him a half tuition scholarship, but that isn’t what you really want.</p>

<p>Why is he done test taking? He should be taking the Nov SAT…that 10 points could be worth a BUNCH.</p>

<p>yep - you need to have him test until there are no more test dates.</p>

<p>does he have other scholarship offers?</p>

<p>i know someone who was in pretty much the same boat :wink: and it all worked out.</p>

<p>I would not count on this as it is officially past the deadline…however, my son was awarded the Presidential Scholarship based on his December ACT score.</p>

<p>Without getting a higher score, I would not count on getting anything more than what the website states - except maybe an offer of half tuition for the SAT score.</p>

<p>I think the OP may have made a mistake thinking that a 1320 qualified for 2/3 tuition, so that added to the confusion.</p>

<p>I knew about the 1330 cutoff, but I was holding out hope that the college of eng would bump other merit awards to the next level. Of course we were hoping for the 3/4 tuition that would probably mean full since he is majoring in cs with 1330. Since he didn’t reach that I though it was worth a shot to see if the scholarship he would be awarded at the 1320 level ( hardly anything) would be bumped up to the 3/4.</p>

<p>He has run on the cross country team all 4 years and has a good chance of making it to regionals which are the same day as the Nov. test. He chose the oct date last summer n was tutored in reading to improve that score, which he did. He already missed one meet that was an overnight to take the oct. test for one last shot at the 1330. He qualifies for scholarships at other schools, so we will have to talk.</p>

<p>see if the scholarship he would be awarded at the 1320 level ( hardly anything) would be bumped up to the 3/4.</p>

<p>No, because that would be too much for Eng’g to have to pay out. 3/4 of OOS tuition is about $16k (plus 2500 per year). I don’t think the CoE can justify paying out that much per year. </p>

<p>Even when a student has higher stats, the CoE isn’t paying out that much per year. At most, the CoE is paying out less than $10k per year for higher stats (about $7k + $2,500 per year).</p>

<p>If you look at the CoE scholarships, they do offer a scholarship for a 1320, but it’s only about 1500 per year, so they do have a scholarship policy for those with sub 1330 scores.</p>

<p>Again, in the past, a number of kids who were 10 pts short for the 2/3 scholarship were offered a half tuition scholarship in the spring. Nothing is guaranteed.</p>

<p>Ok. Thanks! Just yesterday he got a letter from the college of engineering offering the $1500 per year.</p>