CSU Fullerton

I’m worried my GPA isn’t good enough alone. My current weighted GPA as a junior is a 3.3, and unweighted is a 3.0. I have taken a total of 2 honors classes(received Bs)(soph year) and 2 AP classes(received B’s)(junior year). My average grades are usually 2 A’s and 4 B’s, but last semester I underwent extensive surgery to get cochleae implants for my hearing loss, which caused my grades to drop for that semester. I ended up with 3 Cs and 3 B’s. I am asian American,and have severe hearing loss. I am co-presidnet of a club that is unique in the trivia-state, participate in 3 other clubs, started a chapter of a national organization in my school district and current co president of it, and was part of track for two years, but ill be joining next year. As for volunteering/extra curricular stuff, I’ve been part of a crisis call center for COVID-19, was about to volunteer at a hospital before the pandemic, but will do so when everything reopens, had my art published in a book, have a job, and accepted into the academy of arts pre college. For SATs, because of the virus, I havent taken it, but if I get the chance to, I will. My average SAT score is a 1400. My for college Essay I am planning to write about the struggles and challenges of my hearing loss that I overcame. But overall, these are some of the specifics I plan to include on my application and I just wanted to see if with these stats and accomplishments and Extracurriculars, I would have a good chance of getting accepted into CSU fullerton.

Current Cal state admission criteria for Fall 2021:
** * California residents and graduates of California high schools will be eligible for admission by earning a 2.50 or greater “a-g" GPA.

• Any California high school graduate or resident of California earning a GPA between 2.00 and 2.49 may be evaluated for admission based upon supplemental factors such as number of courses exceeding minimum “a-g" requirements, household income, extracurricular involvement, and other available information that would inform the campus admission decision. Each CSU campus will determine the supplemental factors used with GPA to determine eligibility in these cases and communicate these criteria publicly for prospective students.

Campuses and programs designated as impacted may utilize higher “a-g" GPA thresholds for applicants, as well as identify supplemental criteria and their relative weights, in making admission decisions. However, in no case will standardized test scores be utilized in making admissions decisions for applicants during the 2021-2022 academic year.**

Current Cal state admissions does not consider essays and EC’s (exception Cal Poly SLO which considers EC hours only).

Based on the above criteria, each Cal state especially the impacted campuses can determine supplemental criteria so essays and EC’s may be a consideration but that would also require a change in the Cal state apply application.

Below is a link for the average CSU capped weighted and test scores for 2019 admits so you can compare your GPA. Being local will give you priority. Updated information should be available closer to application time.

https://www2.calstate.edu/attend/counselor-resources/Documents/freshmen-2019-admission-impaction-chart.pdf

Im having a little trouble understanding. Based the Fall criteria, will CSU’s look into other factors?

Currently how the Cal state application is setup, there is no place to submit essays and to list your EC’s. Based on the above information in General, only the Cal State capped weighted GPA is will be considered for eligibility. Some campuses such as Cal Poly SLO already have additional requirements and you are asked to complete these items specifically for the campus in the program materials section (EC hours only and not a list of EC’s).

Since CSU Fullerton is an impacted campus, they can use supplemental criteria to determine acceptance. How this supplemental criteria will be submitted and what supplemental criteria they will be using has not been determined yet. If essays will be considered, they will have to hire essay readers so this will be an additional expense most likely passed onto applicants in the form of higher application fees. Other than EC’s and essays, the application review will still consider HS course rigor, # of a-g courses taken, local vs non-local in-service area priority and intended major.

The above bolded information is what has been posted by the Cal states so as things evolve, applicants will be updated. The Cal State apply application opens October 1 so hopefully all the requirements will be spelled out by then.

with a 3.3 and 1400, you are well qualified for nearly all of the CSUs, Fullerton included (as long as you complete the a-g matrix). That said, next year is going to be a tough one to predict at all competitive schools due to all of the gap year kids plus making the SAT optional… I strongly suggest you apply broadly (5-7 colleges) just to be safe

If you share what do you find appealing about CSUF, we can help suggest some others you should consider.

@NCalRent: According to the information on the CSU apply website, test scores are not optional, they will not be considered for admissions period.

Also OP has not officially taken the SAT, so if it was a normal year I would definitely say they are qualified for CSU Fullerton, but with the new changes, the GPA may be an issue depending upon major.

This is very helpful thanks! Do you know if my senior year grades and classes be considered as well? And, I know I put this in the CA category, but no-one has responded to the question yet, so I’m wondering If you know my chances in Syracuse University, Penn State, Northeastern, Rutgers, and Ithaca, ?

Cal states look at your Senior year classes to make sure you will complete all a-g courses by end of Senior year. Senior grades are not a consideration however if CSUF is considering your application they will ask for a Mid year transcript to see how well you are doing. For this admission cycle since test scores are out of consideration, more schools may ask for Senior transcripts. All you can do is apply and see.

Cannot comment on your other schools. Are you a resident?

@Gumbymom thanks for the correction - I hadn’t read the official decree. That’s a huge shift on pretty short notice. All the gap year kids plus a new way of evaluating applicants - this is going to be a crazy unpredictable and competitive year for the UCs and impacted CSUs.

I am glad I’m not the parent of a kid graduating in May 21.

@NCalRent: I completely agree it is going to be a crazy admissions cycle. If the Cal states are not using test scores, I do not know how they will determine their acceptances and how they plan to have the supplemental criteria noted on the application. The UC’s are least test optional.

Hi, for the other schools, no I’m not a resident. I

OOS Tuition at Fullerton (and all of the CA publcs) is pretty absurd. I’d encourage you to look elsewhere.

what’s your home state?