CU Boulder Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

OOS
4.6 W 4.0 UW
applied for CS and accepted to ES with Chancellors (25k)

congrats to all who were accepted!

2 Likes

So happy for you!

I think my daughter may be the only person whose first choice WAS exploratory studies. LOL. Others make it sound like itā€™s a consolation prize. I think itā€™s fantastic. She is very interested in several possible careers that would lead to different colleges at Boulder so she didnā€™t want to choose - Education, Arts & Sciences, Media and fine arts. She goes to LaGuardia in NYC as a fine arts major and wants to incorporate art with another discipline such as psychology, education or marketing. Exploratory Studies is the reason Boulder has been her first choice. Weā€™re just sad about the merit and wonder why she got none here while she got great merit at several similarly rated schools. I think sheā€™ll still chose Boulder, but weā€™ll seeā€¦ Congrats to everyone!

8 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter! She must be so excited about all of the opportunities available to her. College should be a time about figuring out who you are- sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders!
D was accepted last night, also. Time to plan a visit!

1 Like

Thank you and congratulations to your daughter also. The campus is stunning, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll both love it!

1 Like

My OOS got into biochemistry with chancellors scholarship (25k) and honors program.

4 Likes

OOS Daughter
4.2 GPA
5 APs

Accepted to Biochem and Honors program
$25,000 scholarship

She is so excited and happy as this is one of her top 3 choices. We walked around the campus 2 summers ago (everything was closed due to Covid) so will be coming to do an official tour in March.

2 Likes

Thank you the kind words. I think he feels he will be stigmatized by having to live off the main campus.

Which is better for Aerospace, CU Boulder or Purdue?

1 Like

Purdue

States all finance their schools differently. Colorado doesnā€™t have a very high income tax rate and thus the state colleges and universities donā€™t get the same level of funding per student that other states provide. Wyomingā€™s per student level of funding is 3x Coloradoā€™s. California provides very little merit and no need based aid to OOS students, yet no one criticized California.

Colorado instate students also think the tuition is very high with few scholarships. Still pay it because Boulder is a great school.

2 Likes

What does that mean? Where does he have to live? If you mean Williams Villages, thatā€™s where the majority of freshmen live.

Purdue. All engineering students at Purdue are FYE their freshman year, so you are not guaranteed your major within the engineering college. Boulder had direct admit to your major, so you know now if you are accepted to aerospace. My DS applied to both CU and Purdue as an OOS student to both. Both schools have solid engineering, but when he got accepted to Purdue, it was an easy decision that heā€™d pick Purdue over CU, even knowing heā€™s going to have to compete for a full year to get the major he wants.

Ok, S22 OOS (live in IL) got into both UC Boulder and Purdue and at first we thought Purdue was the better option, but then I started second guessing since he was a direct admit to CU aerospace. Thank you for feedback. We are still waiting for UMich, UIUC, Stanford and Berkeley.

2 Likes

Accepted to Leeds/Management & Entrepreneurship, as well as honors program.
Presidential Scholarship $55K over 4 years

OOS/Test Optional
3.98/4.6
8 APs, highest rigor possible
Leadership/ECs/Tennis/A few school awards

The campus is so beautiful and the downtown area is pretty great too. Prob in top 3 for my daughter right now.

Congrats to all others admitted.

3 Likes

Yes Iā€™m wondering the same thingā€¦ When we toured in the fall we walked past many of the dorms (and were able to go inside one of them). I thought students could rank their preference. There are dorms pretty close to Leeds, and dorms right in the middle of campus. Greek Row is off campus though.

1 Like

Oh gosh, just learning. Great to know. I lived in Boulder many years ago, and we jumped to conclusions. Thank you!

1 Like

There are the ā€˜oldā€™ dorms that are really in the center of campus (campus grew around them). Good - very close to classes; bad - they are the old dorms, some without aircon, most without fancy amenities. Then there are the Kittridge dorms that are at the edge of campus, but near the business and engineering schools. More modern, but some think they are industrial looking. Then there is Willy Villy which requires a 10 minute bus trip to get to the center of campus (or some strong legs and a bike). It really is a village with dining options, work out areas, stores nearby. Different suite options.

Really only freshmen live on campus/Willy Villy. Upperclassmen live all around the campus in houses, apts, Greek housing (not university owned). Lots and lots of apartments on the east end of campus, near the new engineering buildings . Students can take a city bus or hoof it.

You develop really good leg muscles!

@Hana is a college consultant who used to post a lot of CC and who had visited a lot of schools. She raved over the food options at Boulder.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t criticizing just wondering why the difference. Good to know your thoughts and also about California as she applied to two UC schools.

DD was admitted to Integrative Physiology program, her 1st choice. Anyone have any knowledge or guidance on this program? We have not yet gotten to visit IRL

Thanks.