CU Boulder Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Feedback and thoughts sought on EA applicant that was deferred to regular admission for Leeds.
Encouraging sign despite the deferral?
If Leeds doesn’t happen immediately upon admittance, is the deferral a good sign for pre-business?
Thoughts and advice definitely welcome.

I can’t tell if you think this students are separated and a long way away from campus, but that’s not the case. Probably 3/4 of freshman live at Williams Village, including a lot of the freshmen admitted directly to the business school.

You don’t have to take the bus, you can walk (or bike, skateboard, scooter). I lived just a little closer to campus than Willy Villy (across the street) and I walked it. I also had most of my classes on the far west side of campus, and the business and engineering schools are a lot closer to Williams Village than the classes I was taking.

3 Likes

Mines is not a ‘bigger school.’ It has a lot of things a big school’s engineering department has, but overall the school is just not big. It is D2 sports and does very well (made it to the quarterfinals in the NCAA D2 championship last year), but no one would mistake a CU game with a Mines football game.

CU is known for Aerospace while Mines is tops in hard rock engineering.

1 Like

DD also got direct admit into Aerospace. We are from Texas and are registered for Admitted Students Day (April 1). She hasn’t committed yet but only because she is waiting on one more decision. Is there any advantage to putting the housing deposit down March 1?

1 Like

I was a business major at CU. I lived at Will Vill for three years by choice. Loved it. And now that you can use your meal pass at any dining hall, it makes it almost negligible.
In fact, the bus has a few stops through campus which can actually make it easier than walking all the way across campus to class/union, gym, football stadium, etc from some of the other dorms.

4 Likes

We are waiting on word from CU Leeds - would you mind briefly sharing your perspective on your experience as a whole with Leeds and how it impacted your professional life after you left?

We are OOS, but have been accepted at several high quality programs both in state and OOS with scholarships. Leeds would be a sizable investment, roughly $60K a year w/out scholarships.

Also, your thoughts on the pre-business program?

DD is not a Business major but judging by the current qualifications of successful business professionals, I would suggest selecting an undergraduate program that lets you save the bulk of your money to apply towards a good MBA program.

6 Likes

I spoke with a very nice person in housing yesterday. She said there is no rush to pay the housing deposit. As long as your daughter fills out the housing application and pays by the May date she will have housing. She said they are not placing students in housing based on housing application date. You can apply March 1st or April and it won’t make a difference in where you are on the list, because there is no list. She also said to wait in finding a roommate because they can’t really find one until they know what dorm they are in come June. Then they can reach out to others in that dorm and look for a roommate if they wish. We are also coming April 2nd from NY. My DD wants to wait and see all the dorms before making her dorm wish list. Plus she’s still not 100% set on CU…

6 Likes

TeacherMom4,

Thanks! This is useful information. We are headed their in a couple weeks for a second and obviously, final look.

2 Likes

Does anyone know when they start offering admissions to the engineering honors program or EHP? Also, is it true that it’s the kids already in EHP that choose who to admit?

When are the scholarship applications due by? Does anyone know?

There are different dates. Some were in February but most are March 25. You can go to the scholarship page and see each scholarship’s deadline.

1 Like

My daughter, who applied for the PLC program/scholarship, has an interview on Tuesday. Anyone familiar with this and have any advice?

1 Like

Trying to pick dorm preferences - any good suggestions?
Are students allowed to have cars? Parking fees?
She is ASE so it should be in the engineering part of the campus - should she choose only from the five near engineering or the walk isn’t bad if she picks let’s say Kit?

Lots of choices with private baths, but some are community baths… Is that a big deal?

Any advice would be appreciated!

1 Like

Kittridge is perfect for engineering. Be aware that not all courses are in the Engineering complex. My nephew was in engineering and lived in Kittridge. I know his calc class was in Chem 140 (a very large lecture classroom right outside of the UMC). He had 10 minutes to get to it from a class in the engineering building. But…so did everyone else! He was in a cohort that had 3-4 classes together so they moved as a pack. All my friends had the same reaction when I told them he had to get from engineering to Chem 140 in 10 minutes- he’ll be in good shape!

Honestly, I doubt your daughter would ever use a car to get to a class, but she can have a parking pass and a car on campus. The pass will be for one lot only, so she can either park near her dorm or near her classes. People who live in Willy Villy do not drive to class as there is no where to park.

A friend of mine had a car on campus as a freshman (so the school knew her license plate number) but we lived up on the Hill after that. Well, every year on her bill it would say “Parking” and her father couldn’t figure out why it changed all the time. It was for her parking tickets! She’d just drive to class when she was late and get a ticket. She was terrible and parked in no parking zones, in front of hydrants, anywhere. Her father never caught on and just paid the ‘parking fee.’

1 Like

No, but my D has an interview on Wednesday, so if you can share info after your D’s Tuesday interview experience, that would be great! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The walk from Kittredge isn’t bad - like 5-8 minutes depending on which part of Kittredge you’re starting from and how fast of a walker you are. The engineering quad is really close though if she’s the type who wants to roll out of bed and go straight to class! All of those central campus dorms are close, within 5-8 minutes of the engineering buildings. Some of the dorms have been renovated so you might look to see which ones those were; I did see that Kittredge has been redone sometime around 10 years ago. Not all dorms have a/c, in case that’s important to you. Check YouTube for tours of individual dorms to see what they look like inside. Private bathrooms are so nice, but the communal ones are fine too.

Parking permits are very limited according to the CU website, and it looks like it runs $60/mo. There are bus routes that will take students into downtown Boulder and up to Chautaqua Park for hiking around, and down to Denver downtown area for sports games or concerts. The local bus system is called RTD (Regional Transport District), and CU has its own buses to go to East Campus and WillVill. Bikes are a good way to get around, she can get to pretty much anywhere with a bike. Some (maybe all? not sure) buses have a couple bike racks on the front for people who need the wheels after the bus ride. Boulder does have these short term cruiser bike rentals too (B-Cycle). The big caveat though is that there’s a lot of bike theft in the area so a strong U-lock and good locking technique are important.

2 Likes

Thanks - excellent information.

1 Like

The RTD bus pass (including to Denver) is included in the student fees. There are buses to the airport too but there might be an added fee for that (there is on my local pass, but not sure about the student pass). It’s very convenient to just hop on and off to get to just about anywhere. The buses into Denver are the big luxury rides so you can work on the bus, read, etc.

1 Like

From what I understand, because freshmen get lowest priority for parking permits, many freshmen end up with permits to parking lots quite far from their dorms. In those cases, they end up taking a bus to get to their car anyway, meaning that taking a bus directly to where they were going originally often would have been more efficient. I would suggest careful consideration and research before deciding to bring a car as a freshman. You may find it to be not worth the hassle.

1 Like