CU Boulder Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Does anyone have any insights into the Psychology program and/or tips for Admit day this weekend? We’ve not been to the campus yet!

Did your daughter hear back from PLC?

1 Like

Yes, she received an email yesterday that she was accepted. Did yours hear anything yesterday?

1 Like

Yes, mine too!!! She’s so excited!! I messaged you.

1 Like

I visited this weekend and heard a lot about Will Vill-- rooms are bigger, more modern, AC and supposedly the eating is as good if not better. All freshmen. The buses run every 10 minutes, but walking would take 20-25 min, maybe. We walked everywhere!

1 Like

Still confused on dorms, lol… Will Vill is said to be a bad idea on the rankings sites I found but not sure why. We decided to list the five “engineering” dorms as 1-5 priority and take it from there. Community bath concept doesn’t seem to bother my kid so we’ll see. Already paid the deposit.

Now do I apply for the federal loan that was mentioned in the financial statement we got from Boulder? $5500 a year. Is that through their website or separately somewhere on the federal aid site?

Separately - checked rankings a few days ago and CU Boulder Aerospace went up from #10 to #8, and rankings for CU Boulder engineering school also went up to #23, bypassing PennState and VirginiaTech - the other two schools we had on our list. Nearly same as UIUC (#7 vs. #8). Plus Madison - she was admitted last month too. So no longer questioning the choice and very very very excited.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/aerospace-rankings?enrollment=690,10000

1 Like

Boulder is a great school for aerospace, no doubt. However the link you posted is for graduate degree programs. For some reason when you search best engineering schools on US News it defaults to graduate programs. To search undergraduate rankings, you have to put undergraduate in the search.

For undergraduate aerospace engineering schools it is #10, still hard to beat and very impressive! It is #31 for undergraduate engineering overall. I still think it is the best choice for aerospace.

https://premium.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate-aerospace-aeronautical-astronautical

https://premium.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

2 Likes

The $5500 is a loan to the student. If he goes to his FA offer, it should have a list of what he’s been offered and he can accept the loan there. They will then have links for the ‘training’ any student must do before taking a federal loan, and then there will be a master promissory note he’ll need t sign. The loan only takes a few days to process, and it should be in his account about 10 days before school starts.

Williams Village is fine (about 2/3 of undergrads live there) but if I had a choice I’d pick Kittridge. It’s easy to walk from Kitt to anywhere on campus, it is close to engineering (although all his classes won’t be in engineering), and is supposed to have one of the best dining halls.

Sko’ Buffs.

Hi - S22 deciding between Mines and CU. He prefers the feel of CU Boulder (he likes the larger campus, etc), but did not get direct admit to CU Engineering and would have to go by way of Exploratory Studies. At Mines, he can declare any major and even change up to 2nd semester of his 2nd year…

What’s so confusing is that it looks like CU has just made it harder to IUT into Engineering. When S22 applied, we read that 2.7 overall GPA was all you needed to get in with C’s or higher in all math/science subjects. It has changed. Starting Fall of 2022, they only count B’s or higher in all math and science classes. This is a big difference!!! These are often weed-out classes… very frustrating.

Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Into College of Engineering & Applied Science Bachelor’s Degree Programs | Student Support & Advising Services | University of Colorado Boulder

Do I understand this correctly: for IUT into Engineering: S22 needs B’s in these 4 classes, and these classes must be taken at CU.
APPM 1350 (Calc for Engineers 1)
APPM 1360 (Calc for Engineers 2)
Phys 1110/1115 (Phys 1 for Engineers)
CSCI 1300 (Comp Sci 1)

Can anyone comment on how hard it is to get B’s in these classes? S22 took all of these courses as APs in high school, and got A’s and B’s.

Thanks

Actually, I just re-read the IUT link – the IUT requirement is just 2 courses: the 2 calc classes, plus one science (Phys, Chem or Comp Sci). However, if any other math/science classes are taken, they must be B or higher.

My daughter is going to accept, after struggling with a choice between UVM and CU. We travelled to Boulder thus week and she loved it.

My question is about applying to live in the Honors RAP at Smith Hall which is one of her options. Does anyone have any experience with what that’s like to live there?

We are still struggling to make a decision between UMass Amherst(visited last week) and CU Boulder, both for Math/Stats. We were going to just do the virtual tour before making a commit decision but DD wants to visit CU, now that she’s seen the other one. We are based in CA.

Booked last minute tickets and are going to CU this weekend, as we missed Admit Day. Any tips for visitors to help students make up their minds? From the folks and @PennysMom2021 who visited during the weekend, was it a self-guided tour or did you work with the admissions office to help with a student ambassador for the tour? We are literally down to the wire lol, so any insights appreciated!

1 Like

If you want to go into any classroom buildings or dorms, you might need a tour guide to get access on a weekend. The UMC should be open (meeting rooms, food court, book store, student center), the library should be open, maybe the rec center for you to look at.

If you can get a tour, I’d take it. If you can’t, get a map and see the areas you want. Math classes are going to be mostly in the main classroom area near the UMC, but some could be in business school or engineering school

3 Likes

this is great! Thanks

Interesting posts!

Hi, I’m wondering what your son decided and where he ended up? My son was also a Mechanical Engineering major accepted into Exploratory Studies. Wondering if your son ended up being offered a spot directly into College of Engineering since his EA decision, or if you/he have heard if that happened to anyone this application season. Apparently it was common in previous years, to get a PES spot and then get moved directly into engineering once acceptances start coming in.

My son accepted his offer for Exploratory Studies at CU Boulder and deferred for a gap year. He’s starting at CU in the Fall 2023. Still Exploratory Studies. At least the IUT requirements have relaxed somewhat - 2.7 tech GPA needed, plus 2 calc courses and one science course, with minimum of a C. This is so much better than before when you needed a 3.0 and B in each course (not even a B-). He is OK with it and really looking forward to going to University of Colorado. It was his favorite university. From my perspective, it’s very expensive, and now that I know more, I will encourage my younger 2 kids to explore in state, WUE and colleges known for good merit…

2 Likes