CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

<p>I have considered enrolling for this program because I want to live and work in the NYC area and I figured that establishing contacts in the city would provide me with a foot in the door.</p>

<p>I read about this campus' location and it really piqued my interest. The fact that it's literally located right next door to the NY Times, as well as other NYC hotspots like Times Squares, Rockefeller Plaza, etc. makes it seem like the perfect place to network within the profession. The summer internship programs is another feature I'm interested in because I would like to get into sports reporting and the school offers internship opportunities with ESPN and Sports Illustrated, among others.</p>

<p>I've contemplated choosing this school over much more expensive and prestigious alternatives because of its affordability. I'm not familiar with the NY area, but have noticed that there's a stigma attached to a CUNY degree within some circles. Would attending this school affect my employment prospects because of the CUNY name attached to it, or is it really a great bargain if I maximize my experience there? Any thoughts, suggestions, pros, cons, etc. would be really helpful.</p>

<p>I’ve been accepted to CUNY (and three other schools) for the fall. I’ll be attending their Admitted Student Weekend at the end of April. I’ve talked to a few academics, as well as working journalists, and everyone agrees that even though it’s a new program, they have one of the best facilities and some of the best staff in the field. Plus, you can’t beat the price.</p>

<p>I also really loved the level of personal attention that I received throughout the admissions process. I definitely don’t feel as though I’d be lost in a crowd there.</p>

<p>That’s all the insight I can provide for now, but hopefully at the end of the month, I can elaborate.</p>

<p>(Also, I’ve never know any “stigma” to be attached to the CUNY name, so not sure where/who you’re hearing that.)</p>

<p>not necessarily a “stigma”, but of course you will have those elitists who will look down on you if you received your degree from a “cheap” public school. but i agree that the price of cuny is a great deal–why plunge yourself into six-figure debt to get a journalism degree from a “big name” school? what else can NYU or Columbia possibly offer besides the brand-name appeal and astronomical debt?</p>

<p>i’m hoping that cuny’s location alone will open the door to the networking and internship opportunities that i’m seeking.</p>

<p>So, are you for certain attending?</p>

<p>I’m currently torn between Medill (Northwestern) and CUNY… Will have to make my decision next week after I visit.</p>

<p>it’s one of the schools i’m considering applying to with cal berkeley being the other. i’ll be prepping for the GRE for the next few months before taking the exam around September/October. </p>

<p>how much weight does cuny put into GPA, GRE, experience, etc.? I have a 3.60 undergrad GPA and spent three years as an editor on a college paper, but no internships. would my lack of experience at a real-world publication work against me, or can a decent test score and letters of recommendation be enough?</p>

<p>Well, I visited CUNY and absolutely loved it. To be honest, it blew even Medill out of the water. It is going to be the next great j-school, without a doubt. Loved every faculty member I met, the student work was far and away the most impressive I’ve seen, and the facilities are phenomenal. So, yeah, that’s where I’m headed in the fall.</p>

<p>With regard to what they’re looking for: my GPA was lower than yours, but I had wonderful rec letters as well as three or four relevant internships. My GRE was slightly above their average. Their student body is pretty diverse - some people come in with very little journalism experience, so I think you are plenty qualified.</p>

<p>wow, i’ve got to check it out for myself. the proximity to times square and other nyc hotspots is what drew my interest in the first place. too bad i wasn’t yet aware of the school when i took a trip to the city last winter. seeing the location on google earth is about the only “tour” i’ve had of it so far. I’ll be sure to make it one of my stops during my next trip out east. </p>

<p>will you be rooming in the city or do you have a housing plan with relatives? if i go, i’ll probably stay with relatives in connecticut and take the train/subway into manhattan. hopefully i’ll find a way to establish NY residency to pay the in-state fee (although the out-of-state fee is still a bargain).</p>

<p>Yes, be sure to visit. The location is amazing and their facility is too. I’ve just received my official CUNY e-mail address and have heard from a lot of this year’s incoming class: my classmates are from all over the world, with all sorts of different interests and passions. It’s an exciting group and a very good example of where the school is headed, in my opinion.</p>

<p>I will be apartment hunting in Manhattan throughout the summer, as I’m working in D.C. for the next few months. As you said, out-of-state tuition is still a great deal and I was given a small merit scholarship too.</p>

<p>What sources did you go to for the scholarship? I’m currently out of school and it seems a little tougher to find scholarships for people taking a one-year hiatus before entering graduate studies.</p>

<p>It wasn’t a private scholarship - it was a merit-based scholarship direct from CUNY itself.</p>

<p>What is their GRE average score?
Also, do you think a 3.49 is too low to get in?</p>