curious

<p>is it possible to learn a southern accent? ;)</p>

<p>I think it depends on your age :slight_smile: My youngest D (who was 8 when we moved down here) used to sound like she was from Brooklyn. Now she’ll occasionally drop a “well butter my butt and call me a biscuit.” No one would ever think she sounds like she’s from NJ.</p>

<p>Depending on whom I am talking with, I can hear myself get “syrupy” and I have happily adopted the use of y’all. But I usually get called out on “where I am from” if I talk about my: daughter, water or coffee. D1 says she thinks she’s picking up a little more of a southern accent in AL than she did in TN.</p>

<p>It is definitely possible. I seem to acquire the accent of the person I’m speaking with, so when in the South, I tend to have a Southern accent.</p>

<p>I think so - I’m from upstate NY but hit Richmond in 1984 and had been down south since then (until this Chicago thing!). Definitely have developed a bit of an accent, especially since hubby has one and his parents and relatives have serious drawls… Definitely picks up more when you’re all around similar speaking people.</p>

<p>We haven’t developed a southern accent, but we do say y’all.</p>

<p>many kids at Bama do NOT have accents.</p>

<p>I’ve lived in the south since I was a teenager. I still sound as if I’m from Brooklyn, and I acquired that accent from my folks.</p>