Current CC Student here if anyone has any questions

@KororadoKid I think I would have loved the block plan, as I am not a multi-tasker. I enjoy losing myself in single-minded focus. My biggest challenge in college (years ago) was juggling the different classes. However, the one real problem I can see with the block plan would be dealing with the progression of skills in areas that build upon each other and optimally need continuous practice. The most obvious areas I can think of at the moment are instrumental music and foreign language. Isn’t it difficult to maintain and build proficiency when you must take breaks of several months between courses in order to take other types of courses (math or English, for example.) How does the school help students bridge those gaps?

Thank you so much, KoloradoKid! It is nice to get a range of opinions. Our tour guide said she spends 25 hours a week on studying/class/homework, and she’s a biology major. I think we were all kind of shocked. I asked her the identical question, but I think she forgot to include study time. Either that, or she is an absolute WIZARD! So…if you take an extended block class, that is your only class that block, right? But if you do a half block, it is in addition to whatever else you are doing in your “full block” class?

Just reread your answer…sorry. I now understand that the half block are offered only in January, so basically you are saying that you return to school a little earlier to take these, correct?

@inthegarden I am not musical so I cannot give you feedback. Everyone at CC must establish foreign language proficiency. I managed to schedule my two semesters of Chinese back to back. The least enjoyable time at CC is the registration lottery. We all have to make sacrifices in order to put language classes together.

@shootformoon This is correct. Half Block is in January, and is covered as part of Spring tuition.

I suppose each student has their own level of study, but I do not know anyone who can get away with 25 hours. Class itself is 15 hours. Add 2 days of lab and that is 4 more hours. That leaves 1 hour per day of study for each of 6 days. I wish I could cover the study in 6 hours, but I definitely cannot.

KK, I’m actually kind of relieved at your estimate. When she said 25, I had to wonder how rigorous the curriculum could be. I think she simply made a mistake and didn’t add in homework.

@shoot4moon , my son is a Math/Comp Sci double major at CC. Each block requires a different amount of time. He had a math class one block this year that he was in class or studying for 10-12 hours a day, every day, including the weekends. He loved it. I thought he was nuts. The next block, he maybe studied 3 hours a day + class. The block plan is not for everyone. He loves it and, of course, that makes me happy. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions you don’t want to post publicly. If I could go back and do college over, I would go to CC.

Just wondering, how can you get a math/comp sci double major? Aren’t they from the same department?

@hanyou , yes, they are the same department, but they are two separate majors. You have to do two separate capstone projects.

Curious what you wrote your application essay on for admission to CC?

Hi, I’m wondering what outdoor activities are like near campus. Are there trails for hiking witching waking distance, how close are the mountains to campus (walking or biking), are there parks to explore, is CC locked within Colorado Springs with not much access to outdoors during blocks, etc.? And what is the student bodies disposition to outdoor activity and adventuring? (Do most students actively seek these things or are they avoided) And finally, in a more general sense (focusing on the type of people there and location) how does CC compare to schools such as Williams and Middlebury and CU Boulder, (CU Boulder exclusively in terms of location because it’s not like Williams, CC or Middlebury)?

I am not even sure how to answer this, because CC is known to have unparalleled outdoor enthusiasts with unparalleled outdoor activities. CC is basically Williams with far better outdoor opportunities. ( I was actually recruited by Williams and loved the school, but came to CC). There is a greenway on the western border of the campus. Google the campus and you can’t miss it. Garden of the Gods is not far away, though it is more a drive than a hike. The actual mountains are not really within easy biking distance, unless you are OK wiht a 10 mile ride, and many are. There are busses every Block Break which take students to ski at A-Basin for $5 per trip. Maybe that explains the outdoor orientation best.

Yes, the school is city locked. You can’t walk off campus into a 500 acre forest. But CC is in the historic Old Town region, so it does not feel like a city. It feels like the neighborhood surrounding Duke in Durham.

One great feature of the academic calendar and block plan is that every 3.5 weeks, all students have a 4.5 day block break. So, once a month you have an opportunity to take an extended weekend and many, many students use that for a variety of outdoors pursuits either self-directed or through CC’s Outdoor Education department and the student-run Outdoor Recreation Committee. Students take advantage in all Colorado has to offer in that area as well as other places in the Rockies like UT, NM, etc.

https://www.coloradocollege.edu/offices/outdooreducation/

DD is having a hard time deciding between keeping her EA app, or modifying to ED. CC is her clear top choice, but she is eligible for significant merit at some of her other choices. Does anyone know why there is such a big difference between admission stats between EA and ED? I expect the committed athletes change the statistic, but not sure how much. Any insight??

I think the answer is in the math. I can count on one hand the number of fellow students for whom CC was NOT their absolute first choice. This is a unique place and I get the feeling that the administration has a strong preference for students who truly ‘get it’.The Admissions Department could fill each class twice over with ED applicants, and that surely must make their jobs easier. The surprise should be that there is not a higher gap between ED and EA. I suppose a better way of saying it is that EA tells the Admissions staff that you would like to know early, but in the face of such a huge number of ED applications, EA is not a terrific way of telling them that you really want to attend CC.

You are amazing, Kolorado Kid!! DD decided on ED and submitted, so now we wait!

Don’t know if anyone can really help but I know freshman are not allowed cars on campus but there any loopholes to that? Does anyone know of anyone having a car and parking off campus or something? I know the campus itself is walkable but I’d want a car for when I want to go out at night and don’t want to rely on public transportation or drive to go hiking.

It’s not unusual for first year students to bring their cars and park them off campus.

Kolorado Kid, are the bathrooms different in the three dorms in terms of universal vs single sex? DD has commented on a tour of another school that she prefers single sex. She’s leaning toward Mathias, but hasn’t made a decision.

@shoot4moon The traditional dorms where first year students live have a combo of group bathrooms and individual bathrooms. You can find floor plans here:
https://www.coloradocollege.edu/offices/housing-and-conferences/on-campus-housing/

Typically, first year students don’t get to pick their dorm assignment, unless they happen to sign up for a living learning community that is housed in a specific dorm.