Current film major wanting to transfer to a school for Drama/Theatre

Toward the end of my senior year of Highschool I fell in love with acting, as I’ve been doing it for all my years there. I Initially wanted to be a film major because the summer previously i won a international award and thought that was my calling. But after the last production i realized i want my concertation in college to revolve acting. Now, I would love to apply to the acting program in my current university but sadly they do not accept internal transfers, I could go to their general theatre BA program but i know thats not what i want. So i am looking for drama schools that accept transfers and right now im looking at The New School, because i do like their small classroom reputation, its in New York, and because i got accepted after being waitlisted. IDK if this is tmi but i do go to UT Austin for the Radio/Television/Film program and i do know its a great school/program but idek if i fit in here and if i am gonna be here i at least want to do what i love. Please tell me any more Drama/theatre schools that accept transfer students, i want to at least give that a shot and see what will take me and my chances of going there. Thank you

I imagine you should look school by school. Here is USC, as an example as well as SMU o stay close to home. I’d go school by school - for ones that interest you. They may not have the name cache - but they’re likely out there.

How to Apply · School of Dramatic Arts · USC

Admissions - Meadows School of the Arts, SMU

@theekc are you hoping to apply to audition based degree programs with a major or concentration in acting, non-auditioned degree programs with (or without) a major or concentration in acting, or a combination of both?

There are auditioned based bachelor’s degree programs with a major or concentration in acting where if you were to be accepted they would ask you to start the acting sequence with the incoming first year students, and take four years to complete the sequence, even as a transfer student. Is this some thing that you are willing/able to do?

There are many programs (auditioned and non-auditioned) that will take transfer students, and you may be able to graduate in three years (since you will have already completed your first year at UT).

If you can further clarify any cost constraints, location preference, auditioned and/or non-auditioned, and whether or not completing the program in three years is a necessity for you, posters can give you some schools to think about.

You may also want to look at threads here: Theater/Drama Majors - College Confidential Forums, and here: Musical Theater Major - College Confidential Forums for ideas of schools. You may also get more responses by posting information on one of those threads.

1 Like

As one suggestion, look into Purchase College.

Have you considered finishing your bachelor’s in film and then going to grad school for acting? It could be a nice combination and offer flexibility in a competitive arena.

1 Like