Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>Lolygagha- You can double major from two different schools, but depending on your school and major it can be very difficult. What you would be doing is a Double Degree program. Not only do you have to take the classes for the majors, but you have to fulfill all of the general ed. requirements for each school. You would have to look up the programs of study for each of the majors to see how it would work. Depending on the majors you might not be able to graduate in four years unless you are coming in with some credits (from APs, etc) or something like that.</p>

<p>Could you please give me the Pros and Cons for Owen??</p>

<p>I haven’t lived there but I’ve been to Owen a lot cause my friend lived there. These are my pros and cons for Owen. Other’s might add more. </p>

<p>Pros: Location. It’s close to the Co-Rec, Ford/Wiley Dining Court, not far from the Engineering Mall, close to Ross Ade/Mackey, and it is right infront of Tark Mart. </p>

<p>Room: Decently sized room, and nice laundry rooms with a lounge connected to it. There are study rooms also. </p>

<p>Cons: Facility. The hallways and stairways seem to always be stuffy as hell during the fall/winter and sometimes spring. The activity room is really boring and they have a mini pool table with a ping pong table with massive amounts of tables and chairs. </p>

<p>Room: There are no doors that cover the closet. You need to get a curtain to cover your stuff. The bunks have to be made and taken down at the beginning and end of the semester. Other dorms like McCutcheon have lofts already set up for you when you send in the application at a specific date.</p>

<p>I’m wondering if anyone knows the approximate male to female ratio in the college of technology. Specifically in CIT. I’m probably going down the route of NET (Network Engineering Technology) and certain people have made it a big point that there are no girls in this area. Am I really going to be one of the only girls? I find this hard to believe. =|</p>

<p>^ I am curious about the School of Science. I hear the school is 41/59 as far a female/Male
ratio.</p>

<p>Well I heard that for Purdue in general, but I was wondering more specifically in CIT. I’m more curious to see how the ratio will play out in my classes.</p>

<p>Hey jim,</p>

<p>How easy is it to get into your first choice dorm… Or is it just Potluck…??</p>

<p>Thanks for helping us out man…</p>

<p>um… in FYE program, it says
calc 1 and calc 2,
does it really mean cal 1 and calc2 or cal1-1 and calc1-2
because other engineering schools finishes CALC 1 in one year and then
take calc 2 in soph year…
is purdue engineering is faster than… other schools ?</p>

<p>Hey Jim,
Got I quick question I recently just switched from fye to undecided or usp I think it is. My stats are not the greatest I think you posted on my post but I was fortunate to get into engineering. I was able to retake the sat and get a way higher score it was 1910 from 1620. I decided to switch cause I realized that engineering is not really what I want to do cause I suck at calculus and I don’t feel like I would excel. Could you tell me more about the usp program, and how does that program help you decide what major you want to pursue. I was thinking aviation technology or some related to aeronautics. Could you please give me more insight to that program</p>

<p>Guys, I will be idle for a few additional days. I don’t have much time compared to what I usually do since I’m actually at Purdue with my friends. I will get back to you all around Tuesday/Wednesday. Sorry.</p>

<p>do you know which frats are the best?</p>

<p>depends who you ask, but girls tend to like going to:</p>

<p>FIJI
Beta
Sigma Chi
Sig eps
Kappa Sigma
SNU
Delta Chi</p>

<ol>
<li>How hard is it to switch from Computer Science to Engineering? </li>
<li>Are the people friendly?</li>
<li>Hows the attitude there? ( liberal/conservative)</li>
<li>How are the parties/women? </li>
<li>Will I become a victim of hazing if I join a frat?</li>
</ol>

<p>It would be awesome if you can answer these questions.
Thanks for your time!</p>

<ol>
<li><p>It could be tough, you will need at least a 2.8 to transfer after your first semester, additoinally, youll be a semester behind in starting the intro engineering class(ENGR 195) but you can still graduate in 4 years. Its just so much easier to take the classes when everyone else is. However, the math is the same, and you can just use your tech electives to take PHYS 172 and Chem 115 both required for Engineering. </p></li>
<li><p>Coming from the Northeast, it feels like a breath of fresh air people are sooooooooo NICE.</p></li>
<li><p>Very conservative, again I come from New Jersey which is very liberal so my view might make me a bit biast.</p></li>
<li><p>Not the best, dont come here for the parties and woman, however if your in a fraternity you can enjoy that part of life, however, engineering and fraternity life are a tough combination.</p></li>
<li><p>Yes there are a few houses that do not haze but for the most part they do. Again it varies, I wont call out any houses here on college confidential.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>PixelDust, to be honest any major that is in the College of Liberal Arts, Education, Consumer & Family Sciences, Pharmacy, etc has a better female/male ratios. In Engineering it is obviously more males than females. However, in the College of Science there are two majors that would be more male dominated than females and they are CS and CIT. When I was in HTM(Hospitality & Tourism Management) classes it would be literally a 2:1 female/male ratio. However, I hear from my friends that are in CS that there are barely any classes with a female. If there is one then they all call her “Miss CS” if she is decent looking if that is. </p>

<p>Zoheb391, personally I think it’s all luck. I personally sent my housing application in February/March if I recall and I was given my 3rd choice which was McCutcheon. My first two choices were Earhart and Shreve, respectively. I do know people who sent it their housing applications around May when they accepted their decisions to attend the university and got their 1st choice of dorm. It may all be a random lottery drawing or something, you never really know. It could also be because they reserve some rooms in certain dorms for handicapped students or students who need a specific dorm due to health-related problems and in the end they were never given out so they give it to the last batch of students? </p>

<p>Dannybae0730, I would ask others members in CC who are Engineering majors. I know a decent amount of information about engineering in general but I do not know the specifics such as that. Even a student who took Calc 1/Calc 2 can answer the question? I believe MA161/MA162 were those classes? </p>

<p>Americandream, the USP program is for students who don’t know what they want to major in yet. The program has many more counselors than other colleges who try to help you choose courses for majors you are looking at. You may be told to take a class in which helps find majors that may interest you and they find this by looking at your Myers-Briggs results. Students who left their major and are trying to get their GPA’s up to CODO to another major also join the USP program. If you are thinking about going into a major that is related to aeronautics, I would recommend talking to a professor in the Aviation Tech. department. Usually, the head professor would have time to speak to students if you go during their office hours or e-mail/call them beforehand and make an appointment. He/she would probably be the best person to go to if you want to know more information on each major/industry such as Av. Tech, Aeronautical Engineering, etc. </p>

<p>Sccrking555, baseballnerd pretty much got it down. I would also add SAE, Delts, and Phi Psi. If you are thinking about rushing a fraternity then I would recommend you going to which ever house interests you during the Greek event at BGR. Every house on campus will be there to “market” themselves to freshmen during this event. Don’t join a house due to their “kick-ass” parties; you also have to remember that you will be living with them for a few years.</p>

<ol>
<li>Is it safe for me to change majors right now?</li>
<li>How do I submit my housing? I just filled it out and there’s a lot of green check marks. </li>
<li>How are the placement test?
Thank you!</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li><p>Are you an incoming freshman? If so, I would recommend switching majors after a semester to make sure that you are 100% on leaving that major. I also don’t think it’s possible for you to switch majors in different colleges since you were admitted to that certain program. Just do well your first semester and follow the CODOing guidelines for the major you want to switch into. Tell your advisor that you might be CODOing so she can help schedule your classes accordingly. </p></li>
<li><p>I would ask someone else who might have submitted theirs already since I did my housing application two years ago and forgot how to do it. I just recall numbering the list of dorms to my preference. </p></li>
<li><p>The placement tests aren’t that hard imho. The math placement test can be a bit tricky if you aren’t that great in math. I forgot most stuff in Algebra I & II since I took them my freshman year in high school so I got screwed from that. However, if you remember your stuff well or are willing enough to review a few stuff then you’d be fine. The Spanish placement test was easy and I didn’t take Spanish since sophomore year in high school and I still passed out of the 100’s. The difficulty level of the tests will differ for everyone so yeah…</p></li>
</ol>

<p>how’s the dean scholar’s program? i just got accepted and don’t know too much about it</p>

<p>If you lived in Mccutcheon, did you use the AC much… Because im planning on staying in Owen, and i’m quite worried that it doesnt have an AC… Does it really matter?</p>

<p>If you lived in Mcutcheon , did you use the AC much?? because im thinkig of staying in owen and im worried about not having an AC… Does it really matter?</p>