Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>LolyGaGHa, sorry I don’t know much about the Dean’s program also. :(</p>

<p>zoheb391, I pretty much always had the A/C on until the entire building was changed to heating Mid-October. I always went outside so when I came back the room was nice and cool. The first two months is quite hot imho. During BGR especially having A/C is god-like since you’d be outside in the heat almost all day and you get to cool off. You can still get a fan though, it won’t be the same like an A/C unit though… Always can go to the Co-Rec and swim it off in the indoor pool too… During the summer I lived in PV where only the bedrooms had A/C and it wasn’t that bad at all. I just kept the lights off and the windows open.</p>

<p>i’m sad that i got the only scholarship that the college of liberal arts offers and it’s only $1000 a year. i don’t qualify for fin aid so i prob. won’t be able to go.</p>

<p>Questions:

1. In general, how is the rec center? do they have lots of different activities, is it clean, etc?
  2. How is McCutcheon hall?
  3. How is the communication department at Purdue? I’m interested in Public Relations & Advertising.
  4. I’m OOS, so I won’t have a car and on weekends I won’t be able to go home. Other than doing stuff on campus, is it easy to get to downtown West Lafayette? Do students usually go there?</p>

<p>LolyGAGHa, if you REALLY love Purdue then I would recommend going even though it may cause some financial constraint. Personally, I will be graduating with $100,000+ in loans and sometimes I kick myself for leaving Purdue. It really is your decision and I know how it’s like being an OOS student. </p>

<ol>
<li><p>The Rec Center is pretty good imo. However, some/most of the stuff will not be available to you since they start a renovation in August. I heard though that they will move most of the equipment out to Lambert Fieldhouse though as a temporary location.
If your going to be coming here this fall, this renovation will be a huge plus for you since they should be done with the entire project by Fall 2012. Looking at the layouts makes me jealous especially with the addition of a rock climbing wall :(</p></li>
<li><p>McCutcheon, is one of the best dorms imho. Don’t be intimidated by it’s location. It may be the furthest dorm from campus but it really isn’t far at all. Walks to the academic buildings and other dorms are quite relaxing actually. You also have the Gold loop right in front, which is not packed like Silver loop. The rooms are similiar to that of Earhart, Shreve, and Harrison. The only negative is the laundry room, I know it’s not that important but if you plan on staying in the laundry room while your doing it then it matters. Other dorms such as Earhart and Cary have a lounge that is connected to the laundry room so you can sit on a sofa and watch TV. However, McCutcheon just has two plastic tables and a few chairs in the middle of the room. During the summer, it gets really hot inside there since the dryers are on. </p></li>
<li><p>I’m not too sure about the Comm. department. However, I do have a friend who is majoring in PR & Advertising as well. If you want, I can ask her for you and she is also OOS like you. </p></li>
<li><p>Purdue has one of the best bus system imho. You really do not need a car at all since there are buses that bring you to downtown Lafayette and West Lafayette. The 4A route brings you to Walmart. Sadly, downtown West Lafayette is the Levee and Chauncey. The Levee is the area on the bottom of the hill where the movie theater, Potbelly’s, Scotty’s, B-Dubs, etc are located. Chauncey is where the two hookah bars, Taco Bell, Chipotle, and the majority of bars are located. Downtown Lafayette is actually worth seeing too, most of the stores/restaurants are housed in quite old buildings. There’s a bus that goes to downtown Lafayette(Wabash Trolley and Nightrider). If it’s a nice day outside, I recommend you going for a walk to downtown Lafayette via the Pedestrian bridge which is across the road from Scotty’s. It’s quite a walk from the dorms but it def. is worth it and I personally walked there at least twenty times during my year there. Oh yeah, down at the Levee, there is a ice skating rink when it’s the Winter so you can do some ice skating with friends :slight_smile: It’s quite cheap too! A lot of students go to Chauncey for food, hookah, and bars along with the Levee. There are two awesome ice cream joints too at the Levee so take advantage of that since almost everyone loves ice cream/gelato.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thank you very much for your quick and thorough repsonse! It would actually be great if you could ask your friend in PR/Advertising how he/she likes it and any other info he/she can provide. :)</p>

<p>Hey!</p>

<p>I had a few questions…how is the town of Lafayette/West Lafayette? Is it fun or pretty boring? I have always lived in a big city so will I get really bored there? Also, are there any job opportunities there outside the campus? Like in stores and stuff?
And are there any South Asian (like Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) general stores there?</p>

<p>And what is the ethnicity ratio there? Are there many South Asians there? </p>

<p>I know they are a lot of questions…sorry and thanks a lot! :D</p>

<p>LolyGagha, I will PM you when I get a reply back. It is their Spring Break so it may take a while. </p>

<p>avant123, I was raised in the suburbs outside of New York City. West Lafayette is a totally different place from those types of areas. The campus itself has much to do so you wouldn’t be bored at all if you take advantage of what Purdue has to offer. However, the two towns are quite boring to be honest. There is an ice skating rink which you can take advantage of during the winter. There are plenty of restaurants to try from since the food is totally different in the Midwest compared to the East Coast for example. There are two hookah bars on Chauncey which is literally 2 blocks away from Krannert. I’m not sure how the job opportunities are but you should look for jobs during BGR or prior. Walmart usually hires year-round if I recall. I’m not sure about South Asian general stores but I’m sure there is one that I’m not aware of. There are however regular Asian general stores(Korean) stores. </p>

<p>Purdue is obviously an all-white school but there are A LOT of minority students. There are a ton of Indian students and you will see for yourself when you get on campus. A lot of graduate students are Indians too. Not sure about the Pakistani and Bangladeshi % though. I however had a class with a Pakistani student who I became friends with though. </p>

<p>Sorry if I wasn’t of much help :(</p>

<p>^Thanks for the info…it was helpful :)</p>

<p>Hi,
I am planning on enrolling in Purdue’s Hospitality and Tourism Management program in the fall. It seems to be a good program with internship opportunities, a hollistic ciriculum, etc. I was wondering what you did not like about the program and why you changed majors. </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>The reasons for me not liking the program is very biased. However, the main reason for me leaving it was the faculty. I thought the professors who were teaching the classes were pretty much a joke and unfair. Why I thought so was because the exams we had to take had nothing dealing with material we talked about in class. The Introduction class was pretty much a joke also since we barely learned anything. I also despised my academic counselor since she always had an attitude to me which really ticked me off since I did nothing bad from the start. The Dean’s Office in the College of Family & Consumer Sciences also didn’t help me when I was in really bad need. They asked me to make an appointment, even though the receptionist herself knew I needed help. Like come on, I’m freaking paying A LOT of money since I’m OOS and you can’t even give up 10 minutes of your time? Your time must be really precious then. The experience can differ for everyone but my experience was not that great while I was in the program. However, I fully recommend you being in the program itself since Purdue also is a well-respected school by the employers in the industry. Best of luck in the future.</p>

<p>Thanks for your honesty and good luck with your new program.</p>

<p>My cousin got a degree in HTM at Purdue, and she really liked it. She had an internship every summer since starting Purdue. We live in the region, and her first summer she got an internship at this concert and restaurant place in Chicago. So Purdue’s HTM is good for setting you up with that stuff. She had quite a few job oppertunities for when she graduated. Now she’s a manager at a restaurant and had a couple of different jobs to choose from at the time.</p>

<p>Then, we have another friend in the HTM department, and he’s more into the restaurant design/cooking aspect of it. And he really likes it so far, he’s only two years in, so he has a way to go.</p>

<p>Hey I am a Chemical Engineering student and am a bit low on the funds ;)…i heard that if you co - op for companies they can pay your tuition throughout the rest of your undergrad…is that true…also can anyone tell me how much a student saves after completing one co-op? Is it enough to pay off your tuition for year?</p>

<p>ANY help would be appreciated!Thanks!</p>

<p>Let me get this straight. You are an engineering student at Purdue asking people on this board about Purdue co-ops. Something doesn’t add up.</p>

<p>IF you look carefully you will see that I never mentioned I was a Purdue student,you assumed I was.</p>

<p>i was admitted by purdue university in major of agricultural economics, but also got in Fordham university in major of international political economy, i wonder is agricultural economics in purdue good? Which school should I go in???</p>

<p>jiji2010, to be honest I don’t know much about AgEcon at Purdue. All I do know is that Purdue is great with anything dealing with Agriculture. A reason to this is because Purdue was a land-grant institution.</p>

<p>What is the career future of AgEcon? Is the faculty in Agriculture department strong?</p>

<p>As I just said in the post above… If anyone can put some input into this?</p>

<p>what??? what do u mean?</p>