Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>How hard is it to get onto the swimming, cheerleading, or tennis team?</p>

<p>I realize its a big ten school and all.. But im pretty outstanding in those sports. </p>

<p>Do i have a chance? or is it basically just scholarship people?</p>

<p>Also, what about the greek life?</p>

<p>The reputations of different sororities? Which frats are associated with which sororities?</p>

<p>THANKS!</p>

<p>Hey there, just received offer today; ) (transfer admission)
How's the diversity out there ? I am asian.</p>

<p>thanks : )</p>

<p>there's about 5.5% asians at purdue...majority is still white...i think total minorities is around 15-20%?</p>

<p>dude man. as an asian myself and walking around campus everyday. i seriously swear, are you serious that its 5.5% asian? jesus christ... </p>

<p>Also, what about the greek life?</p>

<p>ok my bad i thought you were a guy at first. but yeah. i just reread what u said. but im guessing your going for sororities. there are many nice sororities. the acres has some nice houses like tri delts, DZ, and alpha phis, and AKO. theres nice houses on russell and waldren and university also. houses like phi mu and fuzzies(alpha xi delta). if your looking at rushing, your prob going to have to sign up for the sorority rushing thing where you go to like every sorority house on campus and meet some sisters and see the house i believe. my friend is doing an informal rush so i cant really say much about how fall formal rush is. the more popular, "hotter" sororities are like AKO, Alpha Phi, DZ, Tri Delts, Phi Mu. those are usually the popular ones. Theres also an engineering sorority Phi Sigma Rho, and they just bought a house in the acres that they will move into soon I think, switching from a small house to a bigger one since alot of the sisters there lived off campus. Greek life is awesome, good philanthropy events to have fun. Sisterhood/Brotherhood is great. Best decision of my life. I'm an alpha sig so yeah. Since of your username I figure your going to AVTech, Flight, or Aeronautical Eng., so I guess you prob. might look at Phi Sigma Rho(Phirhos). I know more about them since we are being grand prix buddies this year so yeah... </p>

<p>The reputations of different sororities? Which frats are associated with which sororities?</p>

<p>every sorority house is different, basically just find the house that I guess you just feel like home and like most of the sisters. usually the bigger houses are associated with other biggers houses. for example, betas and dz's or tri delts. it always changes each year. and its not like when one group of sisters go to lets say sigma pi, that every other sister goes there. from what I see, you basically go to any frat. house you want to with others like your friends or sisters. but pledge parties are the ones you go by house size usually.</p>

<p>How is the engineering program?
How is the intellectual environment? Like do people have "nerdy" discussions about politics, science and the like?
How are the classes in difficulty?
How are the professors?
How is the quality of dorms/ dorm food? How is campus life?
How is diversity?</p>

<p>How is the engineering program?
Not really sure how the program is, but it is really well respected. </p>

<p>How is the intellectual environment? Like do people have "nerdy" discussions about politics, science and the like?
Honestly the intellectual environment depends on who your around with. Since it's a Big Ten school theres obviously partiers but theres also smart kids. </p>

<p>How are the classes in difficulty?
Depending on what classes you have, the difficulty can change. Usually, if you try I guess the classes are quite easy. </p>

<p>How are the professors?
I think it depends on program. For example, I thought the professors for HTM was ridiculous thats why I transferred out of the program. </p>

<p>How is the quality of dorms/ dorm food? How is campus life?
The dorms are pretty nice actually depending on where you live. Best/Most chosen dorms are Earhart,Shreve, McCutcheon, Harrison. I think a really good dorm is Tarkington and Owen. Close to campus and the Co-Rec, and Ross Ade. The food is actually really good but it gets overserved that you dont want to eat it anymore. The campus life is good, alot of greek life, intramurals, clubs and stuff.</p>

<p>How is diversity?
Alot of diversity. Alot of asians,indians and etc.</p>

<p>Hi, i just got accepted am going to be attending in the fall of this year but i have some questions.</p>

<p>I'm going to be a premed psych major at purdue. Is anyone doing this and if so do you have any tips? Also, i've been looking up the amount of classes i have to take to do both of these things, and i've been wondering how many courses can you take per semester and what are some required courses you have to take your first two years.</p>

<p>Thx</p>

<p>You can take a maximum of 19 credits per semester I believe. I wouldn't start off having a very high amount of credits your first semester. I'm sure that your first year you will mainly be taking just general education classes as Math, Engl106, COM114, etc. with some introduction to _______ classes. Best way to find out about about graduating with 2 degrees is talking to your academic advisor.</p>

<p>I've added this to my list of schools to consider. My parents however are a little iffy on the topic because they think I don't know what I'm getting into weather wise (I live in NC). So how would you describe the weather year-round? Also would you mind maybe describing a day in your shoes as a student? Could you maybe give a run-down of a typical weekday at Purdue would be like.</p>

<p>The weather here is a bit unpredictable. For instance, two days ago it was about 50 degrees F. Today when I walked to class at 8:30, it was 12 degrees F. Indiana goes through extremes. It gets hot and humid in the summer and cold and windy in the winter. Snow is fairly common in the winter, but it's not like Michigan or Minnesota by any means. It rains quite a bit in the spring. You experience every season in Indiana.</p>

<p>Also, word of advice, take an umbrella wherever you go to school. Last year I didn't really think I needed one when I first moved in, and the very first day of class it rained about 2-3 inches. I was soaked.</p>

<p>As far as a typical weekday at Purdue, that really varies for each student. For me, though, I usually start class at 8:30 or 9. I have two or three classes, a break for an hour, and then one or two more classes. After/between classes, I usually chill out for a bit or maybe work on a bit of homework. Depending on the day, I'll play intramural sports or go to a meeting for a student organization in the evening. I usually spend the rest of the night finishing up homework and messing around in my room. Naps are nice in the afternoons if you have time. I recommend napping between Heavilon and Brown if you are in that area and only have a short break. It's nice and shady with little traffic.</p>

<p>Something you'll quickly realize in college is how much more free time you have and how you can do whatever you want with it. By free time, I just mean time out of class. The rest of your time is filled with whatever you want to do and a good amount of homework.</p>

<p>Are there engineering frats ? I mean are they as good as normal frats ? and if you are an engineering student is it better to rush in a normal frat or in an engineering frat ?</p>

<p>i think for frats you should rush every frat you can just to see what each one offers. rush just means that you are interested about learning more about them. then after rush decide which one you want to pledge and if you get a bid then pledge if you feel comfortable with the brothers there. fraternities are all about who you think you'll get along with the most cuz u wouldn't join one where u hate everyone rite? so just give each one a chance and see where u see yourself fitting in</p>

<p>theres an actual engineering, greek fraternity on campus. Its across the street from Beering, its called Triangle Fraternity. It's all engineers, however engineers can rush other houses also. My current house has like 80% engineers. Doesn't really matter what house you rush. The only exception is Triangle(Engineering), Farmhouse and Alpha Gamma Rho also known as AGR which are both Agriculture majors.</p>

<p>VAFan, my old roommate was from NC. He seemed to suit it well but its obviously abit chilly. My current roommate at my fraternity house is from Florida and he adapted quite well also. Typical day is wake up at nine, get ready, then take a bus from the Acres to campus at 10:00. Go to class, chill/kill time, go to class, walk to class, go to class, then done. How you have an awesome schedule is how well you schedule your classes online. Honestly having a 1030 as your first class is badass, next semester I plan on having it around 12:30 and ending before 4.</p>

<p>Thanks for that info Jim. I expect it is chilly. I plan to visit in January/February of next year if I get in to experience the school at its coldest. I'm sure it will be cold but I kind of feel like changing it up. Also that whole schedule thing sounds pretty awesome.</p>

<p>Is the computer science program good[As say compared to a school like RIT]? Also how is the Co-Op for Computer Science?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Sigh3d, I don't have to go to Purdue to tell you that it is very good. It is ranked in the top 20 if I'm correct but the top 10 are filled with the Ivy's, etc. They also have a new CS 4 story building that looks extremely nice online. I know a lot about there CS program because I want to major in it if I go there. Don't know anything about there CS co-op but someone a little bit ago in another section posted a ranking that had Purdue as one of the top internship and co-op public schools.</p>

<p>its ranked 14th i believe if u guys go there im sure ill see u guys there ya cs major lol :)</p>