Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>Yup CS does have a nice new building. Lawson Building of CS. It's got nice classrooms also. They also have a smoothie/coffee place thats quite good. Nice lounge for students also on the main floor :3</p>

<p>I really hope I get into their CS program when I apply next year. The building looks extremely nice. Please chance me if you guys don't mind in my thread. </p>

<p>One question that I have though is if I don't get into the CS program but am offered the opportunity to get into another program, how hard would it be to switch into it later.</p>

<p>I've been reading all the posts in this thread, and here are my questions
1. What is the teacher/professor and student ratio in a typical course?
2. Does it snow during winter?
3. Will a bike/skateboard be sufficient for the campus, and/or out of campus?
Thankyou</p>

<p>of course its snows... its the midwest.</p>

<p>yes, a bike will be sufficient. most people walk.</p>

<p>VirginiaFan "One question that I have though is if I don't get into the CS program but am offered the opportunity to get into another program, how hard would it be to switch into it later. "</p>

<p>To switch into another program is called CODO-ing(Change of Degree Objective), and codoing into CS isn't that hard. The information is all on this website Department</a> of Computer Science </p>

<p>AutumnNDay
1. What is the teacher/professor and student ratio in a typical course?
The most typical courses you take freshman year is ENGL106, COM114, MA152/153/159/162. These classes usually have around 25 students for each section. College is more individual so it doesn't matter if your in a big class. </p>

<ol>
<li><p>Does it snow during winter?
It's the midwest, it obviously does snow and its close to Chicago. It's cold at the same time, don't think that Purdue will cancel classes. This past semester it was -20 degrees and -35 degrees with wind chill and we still had a full day of class.</p></li>
<li><p>Will a bike/skateboard be sufficient for the campus, and/or out of campus?
If your living on-campus(dorm or really near campus) then it really isn't necessary to have a bike/skateboard. Alot of people walk or take the bus so yeah. There are people who bike and skateboard but the bad thing of having a bike is leaving it outside. When it's winter and you don't have space in your room nor live near campus then your bike will be outside in the cold and snow. A skateboard is more ideal if you plan to have anything. But walking and bus is the most popular way of getting on campus. If you live in an apartment quite far from campus like college station or campus suites then you need a car. There also are bus loops that go to college station and campus suites but I think its by every hour and every thirty minutes.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>For the coops is there a list of specific companies out there? And anyone have any info on it?[Specifically for Computer-Science]</p>

<p>one more question
I'm gonna be a computer science major, so which dorm do I choose?
the one closest to the building is?
and if you can, can you briefly describe the dorm
Thanks</p>

<p>Sigh3d I can't answer that you have to wait for someone else. </p>

<p>AutumnNday I described almost all the dorms and for you Lawson is closest to Cary, Windsor, Wiley, Owen. The first few years I doubt you'd even be going to Lawson frequently so I wouldn't worry about it yet.</p>

<p>Can someone explain the VIP Card again for me please (One of my major college dealbreakers). From what I gathered from the previous posts one would pay a flat rate and recieve all football, basketball (sports I would be interested in), etc. tickets. Also someone said you would have to buy it in May or June. Does that mean it would be hard for a freshman to get (I plan on applying in August/Sept for ME. If I couldnt get the VIP Card how much are the left over tickets for a student.</p>

<p>Okay the VIP Card comes out around May or June as said. The price last year was $225 I believe for the whole thing and you get the football and basketball tickets. It used to be that there was a reserved section you can apply for if you had a group but now they took reserved seating away. So now you get student general admission tickets for football which basically is the student section. You also get basketball tickets and usually the seating is pretty bad so you apply for Paint Crew during their signups which is during like October/November. It's not that hard for freshman to get, they have a certain amount of VIP Cards though. So basically go to the athletics website and keep checking around May/June. The student admission tickets are like around 350-400 for both basketball/football. Also only VIP Card holders can be in Paint Crew.</p>

<p>How's the diversity at Purdue? From what I've gathered, it his highly majority white. I've been in a diverse environment my whole life, so if I go to Purdue, it's going to be a lot different. Are minorities accepted just fine?</p>

<p>I think the diversity is good. Theres alot of asians and a few african americans and hispanics. I think they are treated fine, Purdue always had a diverse student population so nothing new.</p>

<p>can freshman live in the sorority houses? or how does that work? also is the campus really hilly (easy to ride a bike)?</p>

<p>I'm not sure if freshman can live in the sorority houses. Since sororites have a formal rush during the fall semester where you visit EVERY house and you got pledgeship that can differ for every house I'm not sure. There are some houses that might have a longer pledgeship than other houses. Depending on your pledgeship you may be a sister during the beginning of spring semester or end of fall semester. If you want to live in the sorority house for spring semester after you got initiated during late fall semester then you got some obstacles. The biggest ones are your housing contracts that are either off-campus or on-campus. Purdue requires everyone to respect the one-year contracts you will sign, if you break it then you only get 40% of the money back that you will pay for spring semester. If you live off-campus then you would have to find people to sublease your place or you can pay to live in two places(your old apartment from fall semester and the rent at the sorority house). </p>

<p>The campus is not really hilly, the biggest slope you will see is Hilltop Apartment's hills and Tower Acres/Slayter Hill. Where the dorms and academic buildings are its basically flat. It's an easy bike ride anywhere on campus except when you want to go up Hilltop or Tower Acres/Slayter.</p>

<p>thank you! oh and another thing. I was wondering what the best overall dorms were that most freshman stay at. I have heard good things about Owen but I was wondering about Wiley? Does anyone know of the over best dorm location (closest to health sciences/most activities)?</p>

<p>gotdance, I suggest you look at some of the other threads on this page. They answer that question in great detail.</p>

<p>How about Purdue's weather.
I major in IE. And I heard that there were a alot of Asians here. How much is that?
I don't like to stay with them, If there are too many. If so, maybe I will change the major.
How is that? Is that Horiible?
Thanks for help</p>

<p>There have been numerous post here and in other threads about the weather. I would know since I asked it before.</p>

<p>I am sorry that I repeated the question</p>

<p>I wasn't dismissing the question. I am just telling you so you don't have to wait for an answer.</p>