Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>Lol sorry mang :P</p>

<p>As an engineer, I’ve now scheduled the 2nd time and I find this info from my own experiences as well of those of upperclassmen. As a freshman you can always get the classes you want it just may not be at the time slot you want. Make sure you schedule a early STAR date for first semester, I scheduled a later one and was stuck with a 7:30 chem lab on friday morning which I’ve learned to hate.
Honors, Athletes and Band members have priority registration which allows them to schedule around obligations. Trust me you will be able to graduate in 4 years. Jimgoktp suggestion about setting up your schedule before hand is a good idea.</p>

<p>Sparknotes: You get the classes you want, just potentially not when you want them(7:30 A.M.)</p>

<p>How does someone this organized get a 1.67?</p>

<p>Machman: Cause I dedicated most of my time to hanging out with friends, partying every night, and playing sports instead of studying, homework, taking finals/midterms. Stupidest decisions ever but it was worth it for a worthwhile experience before my departure. </p>

<p>I am bumping this thread since I thought it would be beneficial for everyone who just got admitted and may have questions that might have been answered regarding stuff like dormitories and everything. I may not be on campus anymore but I do know the school pretty darn well still from residential life, athletics, food, greek life since I’m a brother in a fraternity, etc etc. Don’t rely on me for information on specific programs except for a little on FYE and Hospitality & Tourism Mgmt. Just everything else. As I also said in other threads, congrats on getting accepted! Get excited for BGR!</p>

<p>Hi! I was just wondering which dorms are some of the better choices to put down. I am a girl. Thanks!</p>

<p>Jim,
On my app. I applied for School of Management and I did get accepted to Purdue so does this automatically put me in Krannert?</p>

<p>Collegehunter10, if you look at the previous pages on this thread then there are quite a good number of posts that I put regarding information on EVERY dorm. So sum it up for you the best dorms would be Earhart, Shreve, McCutcheon, Harrison, Hillenbrand(since freshmen get one floor of it now). Don’t get distracted by people saying “OMG MCCUTCHEON AND HARRISON ARE SO FAR!” because its just an additional 100 yards from Earhart to McCutch. Really isn’t a big difference and you have an advantage on the weekends when the dining court closes for dinner on Sunday since they have that little “mall” with Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, Subway, DQ, Chinese, Taste of Chicago(nasty). If you want to pay less for housing then I’d recommend Owen and Wiley. For guys I’d include Tark since it’s an all-guys dorm but has one of the best locations. The biggest difference between the dorms McCutch, Harrison, Earhart, Shreve, Hillenbrand, and First Street(doubt you can get it since theres a waitlist on it already) is that they have AC compared to Owen, Tark, Wiley, Windsor, Cary, etc. PV and Hilltop have AC only in the bedrooms and it is pretty bad still since the first 2 months it will be hot. The AC’s cold air doesn’t even reach the common room of PV/Hilltop that well also. </p>

<p>Vohra, I believe so. Did the acceptance decision say anything next to it regarding you being accepted to your First Choice? You will soon receive your acceptance packet which includes a letter from the Dean of the school you’ve been accepted to, so that’s how you’d know 100% also. When you get your username and everything and connect onto MyPurdue, you can see from there too.</p>

<p>Weird question. Do you know anyone in the Computer Graphics Technology major? I got accepted for it and it looks awesome online, but I’d like to hear from a real student.</p>

<p>I actually do know someone in CGT. I’d rather ask him your questions for you than giving his contact info. Just PM me the questions then I will PM you his replies back.</p>

<p>bump. Just thought I would bump this for everyone so they can get info on dorms and all since the time to make decision is swinging by.</p>

<p>I know you hate dorm questions but this is a specific dorm question so hopefully you will be cool with that. What do you think about Tarkington? I have been trying to pick a dorm, for if I decide to go to Purdue and Tarkington seemed to be the best based on what you said and what the Purdue website said. It is relatively cheap, has average/decent size rooms, is placed near the gym if I’m correct and has access to an in building mini store and is close to some dinning halls. Could you possibly share any experience you or some friends might have had with it? Pro’s and Con’s?</p>

<p>It’s more specific so I don’t mind to be honest but yeah. Well I had a few friends who lived in Tark. their freshmen year and I went in a few times to chill in their room. Tark. is right in front of the Co-Rec so yes it is the best in terms of location to go work out, etc. The rooms are actually pretty average compared to the other rooms but there is no A/C. The rooms also do not look so nice compared to the other dorms to be honest but it really isn’t that bad at all. The price tag that comes with the room is pretty good actually imho. There is also a mini-store called Tark Mart which is always nice to have since they pretty much have stuff you need. You can also use your Dining Dollars there but the food is sort of overpriced but it is convenient in terms of not having to take a bus to Walmart. It’s close to Ford, Wiley, and Windsor so the location is great for dining courts. The location of Tark. overall is superb since it’s basically located in the middle of all residence halls. It’s not too far from all dorms., dining courts, Co-Rec, Ross-Ade, Mackey, academic buildings, and fraternity houses. If the cost of room and board matters for you, I would highly recommend Tark. and Owen. I haven’t been inside Wiley since I never knew anyone that lived in that dorm so yeah.</p>

<p>how hard is the classes?? well i got in to first year engineering…and
i wonder how hard is the classess… yea… hahahaha</p>

<p>The classes you will take are different than the ones I have taken except for a few Gen. Ed. classes. To be honest, as long as you DO your homework, go to class, and study you will do fine your freshmen year. Classes that I have taken that you will take will be COM114(Speech) and ENGL106(English) are easy. Even though I have taken English three times since I never went to class, I knew I would’ve received an A if I actually went… The Speech class isn’t that hard at all and also depending on your class it can be fun since theres a lot of group work/interaction. For your Engineering classes such as Chem., Physics, and Engineering classes I hear they are quite hard but my friends that I talk to regarding those classes didn’t really care much their freshmen year. ENGR195 I hear is such a b**** since it’s a waste of time and time consuming however. Sorry I’m not being too informative with the Engineering classes, I was a student in the College of Family & Consumer Sciences so yeah. At least I’m not a Liberal Arts student :x haha</p>

<p>oh thank u tho!!</p>

<p>Do you know anything about the CGT program in the College of Technology. I was accepted into it, and online it looks amazing, but I still haven’t had a chance to visit Purdue. I’m wondering what kind of jobs people get, do students enjoy it, does it have more of an emphasis on compsci or graphics, etc. Right now Purdue is my second choice (it was my third but I was denied to my top choice). It looks awesome, and I’m considering moving it to my top choice and accepting now instead of later. I’d probably get better housing that way or something.</p>

<p>Anyway, if you know anything about it I really, really, really appreciate it. This thread has been awesome!</p>

<p>I was reading some of the responses in this thread, and even though I’m not a student at Purdue, I’ve visited multiple times. So I’m just going to comment on Wiley.</p>

<p>Wiley is pretty ugly outside, and not the best looking on the inside. But it’s nice enough that I wouldn’t mind staying there if/when I go to Purdue. I think the rooms are bigger there than the ones in the other dorm buildings I’ve been in like Earhart and Shreve. So, even though it’s not entirely asethetically pleasing, the rooms are pretty nice. And it’s right by a dining hall, and it’s one of the few dorms that still have its own radio station.</p>

<p>dreamergranger, I actually don’t know much about the CGT program unfortunately. I however have a friend who’s a junior in the program and he seems to enjoy it a lot. From what I see on his blogs and all, it seems to be more emphasized in graphics than comp. sci. I wouldn’t be surprised since there are other majors that relate to comp. sci. such as Computer Science, Computer Information Technology, and Computer Engineering. However, it doesn’t matter about housing since its ran in a lottery system so yeah. Purdue should be a place to visit since imho it has a beautiful campus with a lot of green and a lot of school pride. </p>

<p>Thanks for the info. on Wiley, youwiththeface. Never been in Wiley so yeah, nice to know about the rooms though. Also, it’s directly in front of the co-rec so working out will be a breeze.</p>

<p>How are Law and Society and Psychology majors?</p>

<p>I knew a few Psychology majors…all graduated with 3.5+ GPAs and said that major was very easy. Dunno about law and society.</p>