Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>A few of my friends say that Law & Society is easy and the professors/classes are fun. Don’t be surprised if people make fun of you because your a Liberal Arts student. Almost everyone gets made fun of by Engineers except for Management students mainly… I do know that one L&S grad. became a cop but not sure with the others since they haven’t graduated yet.</p>

<p>i applied to the college of liberal arts and got in. now, i’m starting to think i might want to transfer to the college of mangement. so i assume i would do this once at purdue? do you know how transferring from one college to another college works?</p>

<p>I would like to know the overall ranking of the university, ive seen many different rankings and they all showed different statistics etc. im confused
as being a student what do you think the overall ranking could be in the states or the world</p>

<p>LolyGAGHa, you would have to stay in Liberal Arts for a year and take classes that Krannert requires. You would be doing something called “CODOing” aka Change of Degree Objective. The requirements for CODOing into Krannert is on this site. Don’t forget to register for the CODO meeting early on. If you could do it in August do it then so you can get more info. earlier and be done with it. Also, tell your advisor that you plan on CODOing into Krannert so she can help schedule your classes for you. </p>

<p>[CODO</a> Requirements](<a href=“http://www2.itap.purdue.edu/registrar/advisors/codo.cfm?id=10]CODO”>http://www2.itap.purdue.edu/registrar/advisors/codo.cfm?id=10)</p>

<p>anil92, to be honest any of source college rankings would differ. To put it simply for you, PURDUE IS A GREAT SCHOOL AND IS WELL RESPECTED IN THE U.S. and INTERNATIONALLY. SOME PEOPLE THINK IT’S AN IVY LEAGUE. YES, I SAID IVY LEAGUE. </p>

<p>if you like the school a lot then just go to the school. if you got into management or engineering it doesn’t matter then since both programs are well respected. if you don’t like the school then don’t go to it since it would be a waste of your time, money, and effort. even on CC many people want to transfer out of Purdue cause they saw the school differently before applying.</p>

<p>thanks jimgotkp,
i knew it was well respected, i dont think i`ll regret going into any think of campus in the states as i have lived in a third world country for the past 4 years(libya)
:D</p>

<p>thats understandable then. i doubt you’d dislike it then. take advantage of everything that is available to you then you will have a great time. purdue has a lot to offer to their students.</p>

<p>also, do you guys often travel to chicago, its about 200km away from the campus(google earth).
how do you travel, renting cars, bus train etc?</p>

<p>It’s about a 3 hour ride to Chicago by car. I’m sure there’s transportation by bus, although I’m not sure about train. You’d definitely be better off NOT taking a car, unless you want to spend all your money on parking fees downtown. Stay in the downtown area, and out of certain parts of the city that make Libya look like Paris.</p>

<p>for for the advice, been to LA this summer, ive seen many weird stuff :D</p>

<p>I would recommend you taking the train. Amtrak has a train that leaves Lafayette Station which is right across the river at like 7:40 AM? There’s only one train that leaves everyday so yeah. It’s about two hours maybe to the station at Chicago? From there you can just take public transportation like subways/bus/etc. Most people I know have friends who live in Chicago so they go to their house. But, I do know that at times people park outside of Chicago and take a bus/subway to downtown due to parking and all.</p>

<p>I can help those people who were wondering about the Engineering First Year curriculum. First things first Engineering 195 sucks, the first month you will wonder why? It will seem so easy but they literally go out of their way to screw you. The 2nd semester of the class is even worse, you learn MATLAB. Basically 195 is a weed out class, Chem 115 is a class which you can do well in. Just be prepared for the fact that what you learn in lectures does not turn up on exams. For the Math, I would suggest taking 161 and 162 instead of 165 and 166. It is easier but you learn the same material and probably end up with a better grade. PHYS 172 is suppose to be a reasonable tough class, and I haven’t had too many problems with it. ENGL 106 and Com 114 require very little work, mostly people do well in these. Hopefully this helped a little.</p>

<p>Sparknotes: Take 161/162 instead of 165/166. Engr 195 sucks. Everything else is tough but manageable.</p>

<p>Question:
Are there any Korean Restaurants or sushi place? :slight_smile:
Thank you!</p>

<p>Yes there are a few Korean restaurants and a sushi place. </p>

<p>Gaza Grill - Korean BBQ, not that great but a decent substitute since you wouldn’t have to drive all the way to Chicago. I’m from New Jersey so there are obviously way better Korean BBQ’s. This is located on I-52 past Walmart. You can go here by bus if you take the 4A to Walmart but get off one stop before College Station. </p>

<p>Maru Sushi - Sushi place owned by a Korean person I believe. This is right next to campus. Behind Chipotle and across the street from Noodles & Company. </p>

<p>Green Sprouts - Korean restaurant and bakery. This is across from Maru Sushi.</p>

<p>Kibu Cafe - Korean restaurant. It’s decent. The food here isn’t that great but like Gaza, is a great substitute. The price is decent also. This is on S. River Road and next to Potbelly’s. </p>

<p>Bea One - Korean restaurant and Sushi place. This place probably has the best decor and quality of food. This place however is also pricey. It’s located in downtown Lafayette. You can just take the Trolley and walk there. </p>

<p>Red Mango! - You are very lucky since this place is supposed to be opening soon. It hasn’t opened yet but I think they would open prior to Fall 2010. You should know what it is if your Korean. If not, epic fail on you. :P</p>

<p>are any of the residence halls primarily for freshmen? i can’t seem to find anything about this on the website!</p>

<p>From what I know most residential halls are mostly freshmen. There are the few that aren’t available to freshmen. But out of all the people I know that are at Purdue, not too many people stay in the halls after freshman year.</p>

<p>that would be accurate, upper classmen who live in the dorms live in cary suites, hillenbrand and first street towers generally.</p>

<p>Jimgotkp: i can’t find your answer to my questions (that you said you answered already). I got into the liberal arts college, but I realize now i want to switch to the management school. Do i do that now, or once i’m at Purdue? Also, is it possible to double major in majors that are in two different schools (like communications + management)?</p>

<p>you could probably it do now or later when you get onto campus. It might be tough to double major, look at the plan of study on the krannert website and see how many gen eds. you get and than look at the requirements for a Com major, it might be easier to do all this when you get on campus for BGR.</p>

<p>I have a dorm question…
Which dorm according to you has
a) biggest room
b) best dining
c) most lively
d) most aesthetic
e) good location in terms of hang outs/ fast food</p>

<p>Also, is a co-ed dorm floor wise for male and female or is it randomly alloted?</p>

<p>Lolygagha, you can do as baseballnerd said also. I’m assuming it would be better for you to CODO(Change of Degree Objective) after a semester while taking classes you need for Krannert. Tell your academic advisor at the CLA that you plan on CODOing into Krannert so she can help you choose the classes that are required. You will also have to attend a CODO meeting at Krannert/Rawls in August/September since it’s required. I’m not sure if you can double major from two different schools, I do know you can minor in something that is not in school. </p>

<p>zoheb, it’s hard to answer that question because it’s tough to know what you consider “best dining”. Everyone has a certain dining court that they love the most. However, the ones that everyone wants in terms of biggest room, most lively,good location in terms of fast food/hang outs would probably be Harrison imho. Their rooms are similiar to the rooms at Earhart/Shreve/McCutcheon. They have Harrison Grille which is open late for most days and a lot of people hang out there and the lounge. They are also very close to Purdue West which houses a Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, DQ, Subway, and this “Chicago-style” restaurant. IMHO, Earhart has the best food but Ford has the best facility. I’m not sure what you’d prefer so yeah.</p>