Current Junior at Purdue- Any Questions about Purdue?

<p>Descuff: that is correct. They make the numbers simple enough to do in your head. They want you to learn principles, not how to work a calculator.</p>

<p>Might as well not get a calculator than…</p>

<p>What are the most popular clubs on campus? What’s the social scene like? Easy to make friends(are people generally pretty nice/friendly)? And what is bgr like?(cool, stupid, a must…)? Thanks!:)</p>

<p>Descuff - you can still use whatever fancy calculator for physics exams and some more upper classes, and it’s helpful to check homework with. I’ve definitely used my ti-84, so it’s not completely useless. </p>

<p>Abbatrese - there’s a good social scene at Purdue. Lots to do. Partying if you want, other options in you don’t. Greek life is huge, but it’s not a you’re Greek or nothing kind of school. People are generally nice. Lots of people seem to think everyone from Indiana is nice, and if people aren’t in a rush, they’ll probably ask if you need directions if you have a map. I personally loved bgr. It was a good way to get acclimated to campus and make my first friends. It’s fun for the most part, and the ability to move down early is reason enough to do it.</p>

<p>Good to know @natural, that PHYS allow calculator. I’ll just have to practice Calculus without my calculator (and check answers with it).</p>

<p>My TI-83 (bless it’s soul) died halfway through freshman year. Haven’t replaced it yet. My scientific calculator has served me well. For homework, MatLAB and WolframAlpha are also resources.</p>

<p>Abbatrese: I have to agree with Naturaldistaster on everything. It’s no harder to make friends in college than anywhere else. In fact, it’s probably easier. And for every 1 jerk you meet, you’ll meet at least 5 awesome people and 100 great people. BGR was super fun (and tiring, they have you very busy every day). After BGR, I don’t think I ever got lost on campus…</p>

<p>May there be everlasting peace for your TI-83</p>

<p>How are the aviation clubs/ AAAE and AAESAC/AIAA for Aerospace Engineering?</p>

<p>Advice for anyone preparing to do and doing MA 16100 or MA 16500?</p>

<p>@Questions13 Doesn’t AP Calculus BC cover both of those?</p>

<p>@anonemuss. I think it only cover 161 and 162… Don’t know about 165…</p>

<p>^ 161=165 basically. 161 is a 5 credit course and 165 is 4 credits. So I’m not sure exactly what the standard is but BC will come in as 161&162 or 165&166. </p>

<p>Anyways, go to class. Do the homework. It’s really easy to just click guided solution and figure out the pattern. Actually learn the stuff. There’s a math help room, but it wasn’t useful to me when I’ve gone, but some people love it. So try it. Stay on top of learning topics as they’re covered and not cramming. There probably about 10 old exams online for each exam (1-3 and the final). Do them. Take them seriously. </p>

<p>That’s really it. Study hard but study smart.</p>

<p>How many AP classes did you use for credit? Is there a limit as to how many you can use?</p>

<p>I used dual credit lol.</p>

<p>What is the longboarding culture like at Purdue? Why is longboarding widely considered… In a negative light? Is it because society view skateboarders as law breakers or what?</p>

<p>Haha nah, there are a ton of skate boarders and long boarders on campus. Talk with your professors about where they want your longboard in class though. Usually they just let you lean the long board near the door. It’s totally cool. Tons of people learn how to longboard at college.</p>

<p>Finally! Something positive for once.</p>

<p>FYI, you might want to get a helmet, just in case though. Can’t hurt to be safe? I’ve heard of a couple of accidents on campus that ended pretty badly…</p>

<p>I got a helmet. I’m just gonna get to know the grounds first because obviously Purdue have like different terrains lol</p>

<p>To those living in Purdue’s residential halls - is a surge protector needed?</p>

<p>When would one recommend to students to purchase their course text books, before or during the first weeks of the semester?</p>