Current Junior at Purdue- Any Questions about Purdue?

<p>Hi there! So I was recently accepted purdue and had a question: Originally I planned on applying to Purdue for their hospitality program (hospitality being what I was set on for the past year), but as a creative person with a love for sewing and the entertainment industry, I made a last minute switch to my choice of major in all the schools I applied to, aka theatre design and production ( I want to be a costume designer). I know Purdue is definitely not known for it, but do you know if it has a strong or at least decent theatre program? I would love to know, thank you so much!</p>

<p>lucyphares “I am an incoming Freshman to Purdue and was wondering what the website was to find a roommate? Not sure if I want to do a potluck or not!”</p>

<p>I don’t believe there is an actual website for freshman at purdue to meet roommates but I know if you join your class page a lot of people post their information in hopes of finding a roommate. In addition, I would try [College</a> Roommate Finder](<a href=“http://www.■■■■■■■■.com%5DCollege”>http://www.■■■■■■■■.com) and try entering Purdue University and see if there are any people looking for roommates as well!</p>

<p>LydiaT22 “Hi there! So I was recently accepted purdue and had a question: Originally I planned on applying to Purdue for their hospitality program (hospitality being what I was set on for the past year), but as a creative person with a love for sewing and the entertainment industry, I made a last minute switch to my choice of major in all the schools I applied to, aka theatre design and production ( I want to be a costume designer). I know Purdue is definitely not known for it, but do you know if it has a strong or at least decent theatre program? I would love to know, thank you so much!”</p>

<p>To be quite honest, I have no idea how Purdue ranks in its theatre program. I am sure you could look it up somewhere. I do happen to live right next to that building, though! And it is very nice and large building! Sorry I couldn’t be of more help :(</p>

<p>Which all transcripts and where do I need to send them for Purdue University - West Lafayette ??</p>

<p>I am from India.</p>

<p>I’m an incoming freshman and plan to room with a buddy of mine who goes to another high school. My major is in Agribusiness and his is in Aviation . My question is what Dorm is the best choice to fit both of our needs of location and quality?</p>

<p>Promania, I would call the admissions office and see what they would need from international students. But I do know transcripts go to the Admissions Office. If you have option to send them in electronically, I would do that. I’m not sure if there is a site for international students to send transcripts electronically but when I was in HS we had a website and it was all done via web. Like I said, give them a call and see exactly what they want.</p>

<p>Jahlenius- almost all freshman take introduction courses their first semester. That being said, there are also really no close dorms to either of those locations (Agribusiness or Aviation)…unless you live in Hawkins which is reserved for upperclassmen. All your intro classes will be in the center of the Purdue campus. You may have one or two classes that are in your respective buildings but nothing more. All the dorms are pretty much in the same area so there really isn’t a dorm close to the main campus. Bus stops are right outside the dorms so that’s the most popular option among freshman. If you’ll be having any classes in the engineering buildings then Cary is probably the way to go since you really just have to walk across the street and you’re there. </p>

<p>I would just try to find a good dorm with decent amount of room space. Earhart is pretty good and you have a dining court right below you, which is really nice when the weather is miserable outside. I would look at some of previous posts, I think I mentioned which dorm rooms are the best to stay at!</p>

<p>Does Purdue have some type of fencing or swords club (not actual swords lmao). I always wanted to do some type of sword fighting. But like not perform in events or anything like that.</p>

<p>Do you think it would be a good idea for a Florida resident to go to Purdue to study Aeronautical Engineering (Ranked #4) or to stay in state and go to UF (Unranked)</p>

<p>Descuff - a girl on my floor last year was in the fencing club. I don’t know much about it other than it exists. </p>

<p>AWill95 - a girl on my floor last year cane from Florida for aero. I say go for it if you can handle the finances and cold weather.</p>

<p>At least it exist lol</p>

<p>Sent from my LG-VM696 using CC</p>

<p>We visited Purdue last weekend and saw that there wasn’t much of a town beyond the campus itself.
I wonder what the students do for fun in the evenings and weekends?
If you party, what do you do? Just hang out, listen to music & drink?</p>

<p>I apologize everyone for not keeping up with this thread. I just got done with my midterms and have a lot of hw! Enjoy your senior year as much as possible because you’ll be in my shoes soon ;).</p>

<p>Descuff, to be honest I have no idea haha. There are so many clubs at Purdue that you can’t keep track of all them but I am 90% sure there is. There’s a club for almost everything here and if there isn’t you can always start one!</p>

<p>AWill95- If tuition isn’t an issue then I would definitely choose Purdue over UF for aeronautical engineering. Purdue is recognized worldwide and tons of recruiters come here. There is an industrial roundtable recruiting event that takes place twice a year and a lot of companies come down (Rolls-Royce, Boeing, Raytheon, etc.) You’ll definitely be challenged here at Purdue and will be much better of than some of your competitors when looking for full-time.</p>

<p>fire123- I completely agree with you! West Lafayette and Lafayette don’t offer much and students are limited to what’s on campus or Indianapolis/Chicago. As far as partying goes, there’s always something going on thursday evenings and weekends. Purdue is pretty big on Greek life and a lot of the student population is in Greek. Lots of students also go to the bars and cactus (our most famous bar on campus) or resort to apartment parties. Freshman, however, are very limited on activities. The Co-Rec is always a great option and there are always pickup basketball games going on. They can attend Purdue Student Union Board activities that are free to students. I’m actually on that board and we throw a bunch of activities for students every weekend. For example, some weekends we show pre-released dvds free to students. There plenty of restaurants to try out as well here at Purdue. I’m a junior and am still finding new places to eat which is awesome. I would highly recommend joining a club, however. They almost have something going on every weekend. </p>

<p>I also know a lot of students also go to Indianapolis or Chicago. Indy is about an hour drive from Purdue which is really nice and you got the whole city life there and lots to do.</p>

<p>Bjunior92, you meant first exams not midterm. Spring breaks start on March 11, 2013</p>

<p>I always thought they were midterms. They happen right around the half way point of the semester (around week 8)</p>

<p>Hey!
Would you recommend joining the greek life at Purdue? I know there are less girls than guys so I think it would be a great way to meet people, but the whole process is pretty intimidating. I’m quieter, but I love to have fun. The rush process just seems a bit intense. Any advice?</p>

<p>Two quick questions:

1. Does anyone know if Shreve actually has a usable music room? Want to get a band going, and we need a practice space!
  2. Is an Honors College member able to room with someone who’s not? I’ve emailed the honors college about it but I’ve received no response… in 3 days.</p>

<p>How strong is the computer science program at Purdue? Do you know anyone in computer science, and if so how do they like their classes and professors? </p>

<p>Are Purdue students (both Computer Science or engineering students in general) able to get internships and research opportunities during the summer on during the school year? If so, where?</p>

<p>I apologize for not keeping up recently guys. I just got back from spring break in florida and getting back into classes mode again :/. But to answer your questions!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It really depends on your personality. I have friends that are in frats/sororities and they all love it. I would suggest going to rush events and see if it is something you could see yourself a part of. I had friends that rushed and found out it wasn’t for them. I personally didn’t want to join a frat. I know you don’t have to live in the house but most do and I couldn’t imagine living with 50+ other dudes. I need my space and privacy every now and then.</p>

<p>

</p>

<ol>
<li>I’m 95% sure they do. Whenever I used to go do laundry in the basement I used to see music rooms there…or my brain is messing with me and I can’t recall correctly!</li>
<li>I don’t think so. Honors members only room with honors members. I think Purdue is going away with the Honors floor now and is building a dorm for Honors members only.</li>
</ol>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m not sure about how the CS program at Purdue is, I believe it is very good, though. I do have a couple friends in CS and they have pretty tough classes. The one thing about Professors at Purdue is, not to sound rude, they are foreign and can be difficult to understand sometimes. You’ll always have some good professors and bad professors that will make you want to rip your eyes out. Overall, most of the professors at Purdue are very good. You’ll have your 1 or 2 professor every year where they just care about their research and give crappy lectures where students are left off to learn themselves (could be a good thing).</p>

<p>To your second question, yes. LOTS of opportunities for Purdue students. I believe we’re ranked #4 in the nation for recruiting. CS and Engineering students have their own career fair (Industrial Round Table…look it up) where 150+ employers come. The big ones come too (Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc.). It’s very competitive so make sure you have solid grades if you don’t have much experience. As far as research goes, plenty of chances there as well. Professors are always looking for assistants. Just go talk to them about it. We have a building called Discovery Park where a lot of research takes place. I would google that was well and see what you come up with.</p>

<p>What is life like for Computer Science Students?</p>

<p>How are professors?</p>

<p>What is work load life?</p>

<p>Are you easily able to build large connections with great people to help you?</p>

<p>What is life like for Computer Science Students?</p>

<p>How are professors?</p>

<p>What is work load life?</p>

<p>Are you easily able to build large connections with great people to help you?</p>

<p>Thank you! Also, I know Purdue is known for engineering and agriculture but do you know how their education program is? I know education is not as prestigious as other majors but do they have a solid program? Ranked at all? thanks!</p>