Current Kelley freshman. Ask me anything!

How do I get to THAT fb page?

Great insight thank you!

Search “Kelley parent group, Indiana University” on fb and it will pop up. You will need to answer a few questions then as admin should approve u to join!

1 Like

Hi! Would you happen to know if someone who has taken IB-HL calc apps 1 & 2 instead of AP calc would fare ok in the IU M119 calc class freshman year? D’s hs phased out AP calc and switched to IB calc after my older 2 graduated. I don’t know if that is better or worse as it translates for success in an M119 type college class. (D is not going to take any summer math classes before college to get them out of the way.) TIA

Can’t imagine they’re that different than AP. If you think that you’ll forget some calc concepts, don’t count on an IU professor to help you relearn

1 Like

What would you recommend is the best computer or laptop to purchase? I am planning on majoring in finance, I have heard mixed reviews about using a laptop or a PC, but have been advised to stay away from Macs.

I’ve been using a Mac the past 2 years in Kelley, and I’ve been fine. K201/204 and K303/304 are Excel/Access classes all students are required to take, and most people with Macs either use IU Anyware to access a PC desktop virtually or they go to a physical PC desktop on campus. If you’re majoring in Business Analytics or Information Systems you may do classes that use more complicated programs, but I’m not sure if you absolutely need a PC.

Hi - my kid has a Direct Admit to Kelley but we are worried about the program being too competitive as I see in Poets and Quants that 74% of the class is in the top 10% in high school. Wanted to get inputs on whether it would be very hard to survive there (my kid has 3.6 unweighted GPA in high school high school, 31 ACT)

How would this compare with the programs at Purdue, UPitt, TCU, Baylor or Gonzaga? I realize those are not as prestigious as Kelley and don’t have as high a ranking but wondering if they would be more manageable and less competitive.

Windows is standard for most businesses and its better to start using it earlier if possible. And it makes your life a lot easier with the classes that Pinkerbelle mentioned

Kelley is a rigorous program, but the “competitive” aspect really only comes into play if you’re trying to gun for one of competitive workshops such as the Consulting Workshop, the Investment Banking Workshop, etc. which require sky-high GPAs and solid extracurriculars. Other than that, most classes aren’t graded on a curve where you’re competing against other students for a set amount of As. In fact, I’ve found nearly everyone at Kelley to be super supportive and team-oriented which made classes a lot easier to manage.

If your kid is willing to put in the work for the classes, Kelley is the easy choice from your list. The coursework isn’t that conceptually difficult, it just requires a lot of hours to do the work / meet with your group members outside of class.

4 Likes

Hi. As a parent of an international student I am concerned about the safety of the campus and the town. Searching the web, I see IU-Bloomington is generally not considered safe (one stat says that out 3990 schools looked into, 3986 schools had less crimes than IUB! And in another stat, Bloomington is considered safer than only 13% of other US towns/cities). Though Kelley itself seems a good choice to study for my daughter, I am worried about the safety aspects of the campus and Bloomington (as I read many students move out of campus after first year). What do you think?

1 Like

Bloomington is very safe. If I had to guess, the crime numbers are inflated because of college kids doing stupid stuff.

2 Likes

Hey so I plan to get a Mac but I also will bring my own pc to college. Do you think that I should be fine that way? In terms of the classes that I need to use windows.

You will be fine with a Mac or PC. Pre-ICORE classes that use Excel and Access are BUS-K201/4, BUS-K303/4, and STAT-S301 (I used google sheets a lot in this class). IU anyware can be used on the Mac to access Windows applications without downloading anything crazy onto your Mac

They’re both usable it’s just more seamless with a PC. Practically every job in business uses Windows too so it might be better to get proficient at that

thank you for your previous replies. I was also wondering, does anyone know when the housing assignments will come out?

if you are applying direct admit to Kelly does it require a supplemental essay?

if you meet the posted criteria then no

1 Like

wow thats great to hear!

Kelley Honors Program…what are the pros and cons of honors ?

1 Like