Current Kelley freshman. Ask me anything!

Just now got around to seeing this - main benefits are some pro dev/social events, more exclusive advising office, and honors I-Core (regarded to be easier). None are game changers by any means, but there’s not real downside to being in it.

How can a student skip the tough calc class at Kelley? AP/IB/Dual credit etc? My daugter is a senior and she got accepted to IU and will be a direct admit to Kelley ( awaiting decision).

I did AP Calculus AB but my high school did it through the University of Pittsburgh so as long as you got above a C, the credit transferred to IU. I think this is the best way because you don’t have to do the AP exam, but if you have to do the AP test a 4/5 will get you out of Calc here.

Thanks! She did Calc AB and got a 5 on the exam. The tough class that everyone is speaking of can be skipped, right? :slight_smile:

Yes, she should be good to go and not have to take MATH-M 211 (class code for calculus here).
For other AP scores that you may be concerned about, IU lists the scores you need to get on each exam to get the credit here:

1 Like

Thanks Nikeshoes for the response. Generally what other majors do students pursue along with business major? Is double majoring in data science or comp sci possible?

Is X-170 mandatory? Thanks for all your help.

not mandatory, but it’s a great GPA booster and it’s worth $50 for just 3 credits which is a NICE deal. super easy class since it’s just A or fail

1 Like

Thanks for all your help. When do students hear about being selected for ACE? My D got her Kelley auto admit email recently. She has above average stats but has not heard from Hutton or invited to fill SSA. I called the scholarship offic and they said she was not considered for Hutton. Should we petition? She has a 1560, 5 AP courses (all 5s on tests) and additional 6 in current year (senior), NMSF and very good extra curriculurs and awards. Does being in Hutton and/or ACE get you merit based scholarships?

I unfortunately am not in ACE, so I don’t know exactly when people hear from them. However, when I was making my roommate profile on HHC’s system, many people who had been admitted into Hutton had already heard from ACE. My best guess is February at the latest.

I would petition to get into Hutton because there are a lot of benefits in taking the honors version of Kelley courses since the standard class sizes are HUGE. Additionally, they have a lot of money that goes towards scholarships, and the Hutton notation is super easy to obtain. I’m unsure if you get a merit-based scholarship for being in ACE, but with the stats your daughter has, she clearly has a strong work ethic and can easily get into Kelley Honors. She will receive the same opportunities ACE students get starting her sophomore year.

3 Likes

Thanks! Do students live on campus after their first year or have to find off campus housing?

They are required to live on campus unless you fill out an exemption. If a student is trying to live off-campus, he/she needs proof of some kind of payment related to the off-campus house/apartment under his/her name.

1 Like

Does everybody need to take Finite Math. Is there a math placement exam that students have to take?

1 Like

a finite math credit is required in Kelley and freshman take a math placement exam in the summer

Does anybody knows if Kelley accepts CLEP credit for calculus?

Do you know the criteria to petition into Hutton? My son is a Kelley DA, but did not receive any notification of being accepted to Hutton or any honors-type program. His ACT was 34. He has gotten into every other college’s honors/scholars program where he is also a DA for business, and OSU (Fisher) is looking much better at this point due to scholarship money (IU gave 0). Both schools are OOS for us. Are there only a certain number of spots each year to petition into Hutton?

With Kelley removing the Finite Math requirement for standard admissions, how much “easier”’does that make it to be accepted?

Any idea of how many standard admits get in each semester/year?