Current Sophomore at Purdue Studying Engineering- Any questions?

<p>@Anonemuss: It should apply to ALL students.:P</p>

<p>@Descuff But the Engineering AP Chart doesn’t have all the APs such as Comp Science, Environmental Science, HGAP, Music Theory, Etc.</p>

<p>Without sounding too redundant, Material Science Engineering deals with the structures and properties of materials. It is a close relative to Chemical Engineering, but with a different focus on chemistry. So take a pipe for example, the ChemE would pay attention to the liquids flowing through the pipe. However, a Materials Engineer would pay attention to the pipe itself (i.e. the strength, conductivity and other properties of the metal pipe). I have a lab this semester where we just break things… Well for a reason :slight_smile: We are studying the fractals or patterns in a material to understand when and why it will break apart. Nanotechnology is also a huge part of what we study. Here is a pretty cool article from the Economist that talks about a new carbon fibre that will allow us to build our skyscrapers even higher… no doubt this is Material Science Engineering! [Lifts</a> and skyscrapers: The other mile-high club | The Economist](<a href=“The Economist | World News, Economics, Politics, Business & Finance”>The other mile-high club)</p>

<p>The coolest part about MSE in my personal opinion is that it kind of dabbles into all kinds of engineering. Check out this link for instance: <a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/MSE/AboutUs/GotMaterials/index.html[/url]”>Got Materials? : About Us - Materials Engineering - Purdue University;
Also- here is the link to Purdue’s page on MSE: <a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/MSE/index.html[/url]”>https://engineering.purdue.edu/MSE/index.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Hope that helped!</p>

<p>@mko: Ah you’re the people that will drive my fear of height to a new high when they put in in one of those tall buildings. JK but marvelous indeed. I wonder why is it mankind obsessed with trying to pierce the skies?
I can see how material science engineering could links to other forms of engineering. </p>

<p>What would you say the type of engineering would be to make flying cars and hoverboards. I imagine that would be aero engineering but is it not also mechanical engineering with physics involve? o.o So many questions lol.</p>

<p>@anonemuss: Where is this chart? I would like to view it. I did receive a chart but it didn’t specify a major.</p>

<p>@ Descuff <a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/ap[/url]”>School of Engineering Education - Purdue University;

<p>Descuff: You’ll find that a lot of engineering projects involve pretty much every engineering type. Flying cars would probably have chemical engineers for the fuel, mechanical engineers, structural engineers, electrical engineers, aero engineers, material engineers, computer engineers… </p>

<p>Anonemuss: I’d guess just try your best and send all the scores to Purdue to figure out. I’m pretty sure there’s not AP limit so let the advisers deal with it.</p>

<p>

… And people seriously ask me which type of engineering I want to do… If only they knew.</p>

<p>@anonemuss: I don’t think credits are limited to major. You might get credit for other classes though I don’t see how Music Theory would fit into Engineering (is there Musical engineering, lol?) I receive dual credits for Spanish 3, a non-AP class so I’m sure they will add credits. </p>

<p>@Seirsly/mkobrien: What is up with Purdue’s lack of/mismatching information. Clearly my class facebook class is commonly confused. Recent one involve how big the bed are. People say they twin. People say they’re XL. People say you can only get XL if you’re 6’4". People say the bed are not twin size at all but XL regardless. I have to conclude myself that the bed have got to be inbetween twin and XL. /rant But seriously how do you even deal with this craziness?</p>

<p>Descuff: Haha don’t focus on what project you want to work on. I kind of highly doubt that companies are putting too much resource into flying cars. Focus on what part of the project you want to work on. Do you want Hardware vs Software vs Exterior vs Interior etc…</p>

<p>Purdue’s beds are a custom size. Longer and narrower than a twin, not quite an XL. Yes, if you’re a guy taller than 6’-4" you get an XL. 6’-0" if you’re a girl I think. I got twin sized sheets and they work fine, but it’s quite a tight fit.</p>

<p>@Descuff: Like @Seirsly said, it really takes more than one engineer to work on a project like for instance a flying car. I would pay attention to what part attracts you to the phenomena the most (i.e. structure, fuel, or aero dynamics)… That should help you steer your interest for engineering. </p>

<p>Also- I had XL sheets, they were a little loose but you can tuck them under. I also got a mattress topper halfway through the year and then it was a good fit. Depends on preference, personally I hate when bed sheets are too baggy.</p>

<p>So should I send in all 19 of my AP tests by the end of senior year?</p>

<p>Anonemuss: The worst thing they can do is not accept some of the scores you got, which is perfectly normal and ok. Best case scenario, you get a bunch of credits. So I say go for it.</p>

<p>kk ty Seirsly</p>

<p>Now, which meal plan do you guys prefer?</p>

<p>mkobrien: Sorry to be answering questions in your thread, but I have to wait 10 minutes to load data at work… and I’m currently sitting at my work desk at 3:37pm on a Saturday, ugh.</p>

<p>anonemuss: I’ve always used the 12 meal plan. I hate eating breakfast, but always eat lunch and dinner. That gives me 2 meals a day for 6 days, and then I find my own food for Sunday. A nice amount of dining dollars is nice too since I like to snack.</p>

<p>I choose the 12 meal plan. I also have no regard for breakfast and seek only two meals per day. Heck I may just spend some swipes at on the go locations since I don’t eat two meals every day.
Also most dining dollars.</p>

<p>Seirsly: Not a problem! Feel free to comment, you tend to be quite full of useful information :wink: I just created this new thread as there aren’t very many Female Engineers to answer questions. Hahaha oh joy, where you working/ what engineering major are you?</p>

<p>Descuff: Most of my guy friends had the 12 plan, it seemed to work well. At the end of the week you can ‘swipe out’ by going to On The Go if you have extra swipes. If you don’t, there are a bunch of restaurants on Chauncy. They have some packaged food… but dining dollars are awesome! You can use them in Boiler Crossing (on campus mini-mart) but, only $25 can be used in the Student Union which is where a bunch of restaurants/Starbucks are. You can always change your meal plan during the year too.</p>

<p>Only $25? What kind of b… nevermind keep forgetting about that.
What exactly are some of the, names of restaurants that can use dining dollars? I don’t mind prepackaged food though.</p>

<p>I’m a civil engineering major working at a civil engineering firm, currently wrapping up doing LiDAR survey. It sucks, can’t wait to be rotated out to a different department next time. </p>

<p>Descuff: If you show your student ID at the little food stores in the Union and the various cafes on campus, you get your meal tax-free, which is nice.
You can spend all your dining dollars in Harrison Grille. They have sandwiches and starbucks and shakes and stuff, pretty good.
List of Union Restaurants ($25 dining dollar limit):[Dining</a> Services :: Purdue Memorial Union](<a href=“Page Not Found | PMU Purdue University”>Page Not Found | PMU Purdue University)</p>

<p>Ah thank you. Doesn’t Cary spot grill take dining dollars or am I mistaken?</p>

<p>Are you guys planning on studying abroad?</p>

<p>mkobrien - I also apologize for intruding as well. I’m also a female engineer, so I get it. </p>

<p>Descuff - yes, so does Harrison grille. </p>

<p>Anon - I wish I could study abroad, but I just changed from chemical engineering to agricultural engineering. And Purdue has the number one program in the country so why leave? I love Purdue and my friends and life. And I also rather not be taking about 17 credits of mostly engineering while I’m in a foreign country.</p>