Current Sophomore :)

<p>Some of you have probably seen my posts around this board.</p>

<p>I am a sophomore majoring in biochemistry through the College of Agriculture, and I am tracking pre-vet or pre-med. If you have questions about Purdue, I will try to answer them or ask someone who would know.</p>

<p>Good luck on finals and happy winter break and holidays! :)</p>

<p>lots of parties?</p>

<p>easy to get alcohol?</p>

<p>id ask if theres a good amount of hot girls, but you are a girl i am guessing</p>

<p>thanks for info</p>

<p>Just how conservative is Purdue?</p>

<p>How much love to out-of-state-ers?</p>

<p>Campus life = lots to do?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>atlhawks...the answers to your first two questions are yes and yes...talk to the right people. It's that way at pretty much any big university, though. There are lots of girls here, and there are certainly lots of pretty girls, though obviously I don't think of them as hot.</p>

<p>juniorparent...I wasn't aware that it is very conservative here, if you are thinking politically. Sure, there are sidewalk chalkers who tout their agendas, but I imagine that happens anywhere. I am moderate, and perhaps I notice more conservative beliefs that annoy me than liberal ones, but I probably just don't pay too much attention in general. At the least, people don't complain that their beliefs are underrepresented or that people are extremely intolerant.</p>

<p>Robert...There are lots of OOS kids here, and we like them :) You bring diversity and open our horizons. Plus, by befriend us in-staters, we visiting you as an excuse to have new places to travel :) There is lots and lots to do on campus...some clubs are more active than others, so be sure to talk to upperclassmen about the ones you are considering. The Student Union Board and the Student Government also plan lots of campus-wide activities for everyone, as do the individual Colleges and departments.</p>

<p>Ok, few questions please.</p>

<p>1) How is school pride there?
2) How is football there? I watched Purdue games this year, but I do not recall well.
3) Would there be any problem if I can't drink / smoke for personal reasons?</p>

<p>sorry for my disappearance...finals week :( It's over now, though, and I'm FREE!!!</p>

<p>Boiler pride is pretty strong, but people are nice about it...if you aren't interested, you aren't shunned :) Just read the older versions of the Exponent if you want to see the ongoing war between students and alumni about appropriate demonstrations of school pride :D</p>

<p>I don't pay too much attention to the football program, but lately the standouts have been in trouble for their extracurricular behavior, and people are saying that Tiller ought to step down...again, see the Exponent</p>

<p>If you don't want to smoke or drink, that's no problem. I refuse to smoke and cannot drink for medical reasons. Smoking's not a big deal at all, and currently people are pushing for campus to be smoke free. As for drinking, I've been to parties where there's drinking, and it's no big deal if you don't want to drink...no one even asked me if I wanted one :)</p>

<p>just one question..</p>

<p>people say Purdue is really rural (?)</p>

<p>is that true??</p>

<p>is that a important factor for you to live there??(Purdue campus)</p>

<p>would it be hard to adjust if I'm living in a city??</p>

<p>thank you..</p>

<p>wrong, wrong, wrong! Does that make you feel better? :) </p>

<p>Purdue is right next to West Lafayette and just over the river from Lafayette. Sure there is countryside pretty close by, but you don't so much as have to look at it if you don't want. The closest you'll come to rural is if you hang out with some of the country kids in the College of Ag. Even then, you'll see more of them dressed like town/city kids. The country kids are the ones wearing Levi's and/or big flashy belt buckles they won in rodeo or livestock competitions :D However, even ANSC, which used to be a department pretty well dedicated to that breed, is full of girls who want to play doctor to Fifi and Fluffy (but not me!). There's a niche here for everyone, and lifestyle is the least of anyone's worries, I think.</p>

<p>Living on/off campus is personal preference. Depending on how much time you want to spend driving, you'll have to arrange your social life accordingly and probably accept missing out on things somewhat if you live off-campus. Obviously, the dorms don't have nearly the capacity to support the 30k odd undergrads, so thousands of us live off campus and our social lives don't suffer much. It is very convenient to live on-campus or near it, though, if you choose to become very involved or are in engineering, where you depend on studying with your fellows. The food's not terrible, but it's annoying if your schedule is erratic, and eventually you learn to predict the menus...</p>

<p>Also, if anyone is wondering about certain programs, here are the two I know a good deal about: University Honors Program (the UHP) and Dean's Scholars in the College of Agriculture.</p>

<p>oooh. UHP info please. thanks! =]</p>

<p>purdue is so nice. I didn't go to scholars day and they sent me a folder full of info they gave out there. hahaha.</p>

<p>oh yeah, I got an email about cooperative housing? do you know anything about that? thanks! =]</p>

<p>Purdue is pretty awesome about things like that...it's their way of saying that they really do care about you :)</p>

<p>Could you give me some general topics about the UHP over which you would like details...my brain is a bit fried :( :D</p>

<p>Co-op housing is like greek housing but it's much cheaper ($300-500/month), and the students are responsible for themselves...no house mom/caretakers to cook and do major cleaning or maintenance. Every resident must perform a set amount of time contributing to the household by cleaning, cooking, planning, etc. The co-ops hold rush just like the greeks, and each one has it's own personality and house. The people are different from the greeks, though, but it's sort of difficult to describe how without making unfair generalizations. I know some of them hold formals, host parties, etc. Unlike greek housing, you can rush before your first semester...or, at least, the guys can.</p>

<p>Hope that helps some!</p>

<p>Know you're in the college of agriculture, but I will be in the college of technology next year and was wondering if you know anything about it. Reputation, etc..</p>

<p>eatrade, most of my exposure to the tech college has been through computer science/tech students. What I know of them is that they are very serious and very busy all the time. Unfortunately I do not know about the college's overall reputation. The only other bit I know is that pretty much everyone makes fun of the OLS majors because many of them are the NCAA athletes who need a fluff major that isn't too demanding. Obviously, I also know of athletes with rigorous majors and OLS majors who chose it because they love the area. Sorry I cannot be more help than that! :(</p>

<p>No problem...
I'm doing Computer Information Technology: Network Engineering....does OLS apply to me? </p>

<p>Also for housing I'm thinking Owen....what do you think of Owen?</p>

<p>No, you would not be an Organizational Leadership and Supervision major :) We'd call you a CIT major</p>

<p>I don't know too much about Owen...none of my friends lived there while I was on campus...the rooms are smaller, no A/C...it's next door to Ford, though. One thing you'd want to think about is the distance you are willing to travel to your classes, especially in the winter. The winds here can cut you like a knife, or at least it feels that way sometimes :( It's also awfully far away from Matthews and Lawson, two of the computer major buildings. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people in your major might end up in Earhart; my best friend used to tell me about how the guys would have "LAN parties" over there sometimes :D</p>

<p>I'm thinking about majoring in pharmacy..</p>

<p>and I heard that Purdue has really good pharmacy program.. and </p>

<p>it is difficult to get in..</p>

<p>what ACT score and GPA do you need to get in?? (as an undergraduate..)</p>

<p>and I hope I just can find more about the atmosphere of college pharmacy..
(like students.. or just in general..)</p>

<p>and what do you usually do during your free-time??</p>

<p>How common is a downward curve on grades in classes at Purdue?</p>

<p>Jung, off the top of my head, I have no idea what the admissions minimum requirements for pre-pharm are, but you are correct in that admissions is quite competitive. You could visit their website to find out more about them. Purdue</a> School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences</p>

<p>In general, the pre-pharm kids have their own sets of courses apart from those in which most other students at Purdue enroll. The nice thing about Purdue is that you will find all kinds of people here because the student body is so big. There are zillions of clubs...over 700...and if you don't find one you want, just start one :D Personally, I don't perceive a girl shortage, but that may be because I'm not an engineer. In pre-vet, most of the students are female, so if anything, there are too few guys :)</p>

<p>Dal, I'm not positive I understand you, but here's how I interpret: how commonly do professors deviate from the 90%=A, 80%=B, and so on grading scale? So far, I have not heard of a professor making the A cutoff higher than 90%. As for making it lower, it varies by professor. I have two profs. last year whose standard policy was to make the A cutoff at 86 and 88%. In the math department, their system is quite screwy: if you make 90% or above you are guaranteed an A, but from there they look at the number of students in your recitation (about 30 people) who earn an A on the final exam, and that is the number of people in your recitation who will earn an A above and beyond those people who earned an A outright.</p>

<p>Typically, the engineering classes are curved, and pharm might be curved, but by and large profs. won't deviate from the 90% scale unless the class as a whole is struggling.</p>