Current Students - National Merit

<p>The Natl Merit scholarship was posted on DS account today.</p>

<p>I know a few here were waiting for this to receive a reimbursement check/credit.</p>

<p>Thank you. I will keep an eye on the mail. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Thanks, Longhaul. Just checked DD’s account and saw it had in fact posted.</p>

<p>For planning $ flow, do you have to pay the full tuition so they can stay the school year and then you get the credit and a reimbursement later? Or, will they let you carry the tuition as a balance and you just confirm that the credit posts to zero out the tuition portion? </p>

<p>Not sure what you are asking.</p>

<p>You’re billed each semester, not for the year.</p>

<p>So, your account is credited for one semester of tuition, and charged for one semester of tuition.</p>

<p>Going-- Yes, you must pay the entire billed balance to begin classes each semester. National merit funds are then refunded about a month later.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids, we have lots to learn. Didn’t know that billing is a semester at a time – haven’t gotten that far in the process, but that makes sense. Moreover, I wanted to know if we need to actually make payments before scholarship monies are applied which was what I’d gathered from the OP. That makes a big difference if we’re thinking tuition will be covered. In fact, it sounds like we need to have the full tuition (for a semester) on hand, PLUS housing, etc. This is our first experience and we’ve only been focused on total costs and affordability up until this point, not the timing of shelling out of funds.</p>

<p>@Mom2twins thank you for the clarification. </p>

<p>In terms of cash flow planning, it makes a huge difference – between $12k and $14k (or more) than we would have thought to start out (OOS). So glad that CC is here – I’m sure we’d have found out at some point in the process, but in this case, it’s just in time.</p>

<p>the tuition scholarship is usually applied before tuition is due, so you don’t pay out first.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>^^^
This is misleading. The NMF scholarship (tuition and housing) is applied before school starts. the stipend (official NMF part) is applied about a month later.</p>

<p>So, before school starts, your account will be credited for tuition and freshman housing. </p>

<p>@‌goinggoing</p>

<p>We’ve never heard of anyone ever having to pay the tuition first when they have the NMF or Presidential scholarship.</p>

<p>The tuition portion was automatically credited so no money out of pocket for that. The only money that came later was the official portion from National Merit not the tuition. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Thank you moms and ladies!!! I think I get it now. </p>