Current UM Students....Please Respond

<p>Okay Miami is my favorite school right now. I want to go to a school with a very lively social scene, and that is why Miami is at the top of my list. However, I have some questions on the different types of parties.</p>

<p>I'm assuming clubbing in South Beach and Coconut Grove are the main forms of fun.</p>

<p>But what about house and frat parties? Are they pretty common? Also usually how far off of campus are they?</p>

<p>Thanks....oh and Go 'Canes.</p>

<p>According to my son, who is a freshman at UM and home for Thanksgiving, the main social scene is in South Beach and The Grove. He says the house and frat parties aren't as popular and aren't all that good compared to schools that his friends go to where there is no social scene outside of the college campus. He said that students go off in all different directions and do different things socially depending on what they are into. So, there is no cohesive social scene, but fun times to be had nonetheless.</p>

<p>Good luck and let us know if you end up going to UM.</p>

<p>Im gonna tell you this once.....Don't come here. It is wayyyy overrated. Miami is a good place to visit, but to live? The main scenes are South Beach and Coconut Grove, but the Grove sucks big time and South Beach is only fun on Thursdays (and most of the time, I have a test to study for on Friday). If you dont have a car, good luck even getting to South Beach, since you have to take the metro and then walk a few blocks in ghetto Miami to get to the bus.</p>

<p>And while we're talking about Miami, it should be noted that Umiami isnt even in Miami, but in Coral Gables. Ironic? Yes.</p>

<p>You can survive here without a car, but good luck with that. Thank god I have one. People here act like jerks sometimes, but I guess that is to be found at any university. This university also isnt too keen on accepting diverse lifestyles cough<em>gay</em>cough. In fact, the one gay click Ive seen (Im in mahoney) sticks to themselves and are in no way integrated into the normal student body, which is quite pathetic in my opinion. I guess because Im gay Im offended by this, but whatever.</p>

<p>All I can say is Im a freshmen and Im dying to get out of here. Unfortunately, it'll be another 5 months before salvation, if any, occurs.</p>

<p>I attended Miami Law School a long time ago,but let me share some experiences.</p>

<p>UM can provide a great social life. There are a lot of hot gals wanting to hook up. I never suffered from a lack of girl friends. There is also plenty to do on campus and in Miami. </p>

<p>That said, don't come to University of Miami with your current attitude. You will be wasting your money and probably flunk out. It certainly can be a party school,but it is also tough to do well. If you focus on partying, you will probably flunk out. A little partying is fine,but you really need to be dedicated and balance your work and social life.</p>

<p>^taxguy.....</p>

<p>I plan on focusing on my studies, but i was just curious about the frat/house party scene. But thanks for your thoughts.</p>

<p>UMiami is my top choice...followed by UCSB and SDSU</p>

<p>socal: did you apply ED?</p>

<p>glittergal: I'm only a jr. but Miami is my #1, so next year I will apply ED or EA....i'm unsure at this point.</p>

<p>I hope you get in....Good luck</p>

<p>Bump.......</p>

<p>i have to disagree with you shasta. this school offers alot, and its not to hard to find it. also, on accepting gay lifestyles, spectrum plays a pretty big role on this campus, did you happen to attend any of the events they put on through oct. and november? have you also thought of changing where you're living? the towers are mainly freshmen, where as mahoney is upperclassmen.</p>

<p>for those of you awaiting to hear word from the school, good luck! and if you do get in, definitely apply for housing in standford or hecht. Yes they're small, but its definitely how you meet ppl.</p>