CWRU Class of 2025 Official Discussion Thread

Thank you!

hahaha. CWRU probably is not interested in students with high stats.

That’s kind of an offensive thing to say? Case is a great school. I worked hard, and so did every other student who got in. I have great EC’s, first in my class. I didn’t take 11 AP classes, but I took every single one my school had to offer. This year has been a tough application cycle at a lot of universities.

10 Likes

I think she/he was joking. The point was, that when an applicant has everything that Case stresses in their info sessions including what their website states for average GPA/SAT, one just wonders. This year is certainly not a normal year for ANY school. No one is saying you don’t deserve it, regardless of AP courses. Obviously you do! Good luck.

I agree! And I know that it was probably a joke. It’s just he/she/they also said something earlier about it only being ranked 42 or something.
Thank you! And I hope your son is happy wherever he goes!

Thanks. Oh, I must’ve missed that comment.

Case is definitely great for premed, which is originally what my son thought he wanted. But as time has gone on, and he learned more about himself, premed is a possibility but not a certainty. So that’s the main reason he lost interest. Wants a school with a little more options. Also, wants to venture out of the Midwest. :smiley:

1 Like

It might be quite complex. I have heard about the yield protection at CWRU previously, however, a kid with 4.28 GPA in my son’s school was admitted in the early round. The high school does not rank, but, that GPA is the highest possible by the end of their junior year based on their school profile sent to colleges. My son does not have such a GPA. He got deferred and then accepted yesterday. It’s hard for us to figure out what’s going on in the admission offices.

agreed, it is very confusing. for me personally, I was accepted ea and my stats are way below average. i had a 93 weighted gpa and was test-optional. although I may have had some good ec’s, I think what helped was the interview, and the ao and I had a lot in common. with covid this year, admissions are more messed up, who knows what’s going on (and I’ll be declining because it is too expensive, hopefully, someone who was waitlisted can have the spot!)

1 Like

When and how do waitlisted students notify CWRU of continued interest ?

So sorry if I offended you in any way. I never meant the kids who got admitted are not deserving. Of course, they are. They have worked hard to reach this point and acceptance from CWRU is something to be proud of. But if the students with very high stats - (ACT: 34; GPA: 4.0/5.3), (1520 SAT,4.58 GPA), ( 3.95/4.46, 17 AP/DE, 36 ACT), ( SAT =1570, ACT=35) are getting waitlisted, one wonders why? A student who gets acceptance from Emory, or Berkley, or similar schools gets waitlisted here. It is hard to understand. After giving some thought the only point I can guess is about yield protection. Hope you understand.

3 Likes

because stats aren’t everything? case is super holistic and they love demonstrated interest as much as anything else. i do think they yield protect a bit but there’s more to admissions than an act/sat and gpa (and this is coming from someone who got in ea with a 4.0/4.3 and 35)

3 Likes

For those who got in, congrats! What is your super power? By this, I mean the special skill or activity your are passionate about that sets you apart from other students. It could be your artistic or musical ability, languages, community service, Eagle/Gold Scout Award, athletics, leadership, diversity, etc. I believe Case is used to receiving applications from high scoring and ranking students so they are looking for that little extra. It’s quite clear otherwise they would not mention the skill/activity that made you stand out in the PS of the admissions letters.

1 Like

My daughter’s PS mentioned research. She listed summer research experience in the EC, plus the PhD student who mentored her submitted a letter.

I don’t think the PS is necessarily the “super-power;” it’s more likely a way to make the admission more personal and thus make a connection with the applicant. Rochester does this as well, and people love it. If I had to guess, it has more to do with the applicant’s interests.

Wow! That’s impressive!

deleted

2 Likes

Why are so many good students waitlisted at Case?
Because so many good students apply to Case!

From the head of admissions:
"Here’s the reality: A large portion of our applicant pool is “admissible”—in other words, they represent the accomplishments, motivation and preparation we value. But we can only make so many offers of admission as we build our incoming class. There simply isn’t room on our campus for everyone we would like to admit. During the Early Action and Regular Decision processes, less than half of those “admissible” students make their way to being admitted. "

2 Likes

I think many people misunderstand “holistic admissions.” It does not necessarily mean some magic formula that is a composite of all the virtues of the applicant. Admission offices are creating a class, and they have an idea the overall make-up of the class they want to create. This is for the benefit of the students’ college learning and living experience. Admitting 1,200 students cut from the same cloth would be a total failure in that regard (this is obviously an oversimplification). In the eyes of applicants, this makes the whole thing more unpredictable.

That could be said of any top 50 school. Let’s face it, Case is known to rely heavy on analytics to protect their yield. Long waitlist is likely a product of that.

2 Likes

When and how do waitlisted students notify CWRU of continued interest ?

Huh??? You must have totally misunderstood my comment. I am NOT frustrated nor questioning anyone’s admission - my D was accepted to Case Western! Since there were so many comments focused mainly on AP, SAT/ACT, GPA scores, etc., I wanted to celebrate the other factors Case Western looks at for their holistic approach to admissions. I am shocked by your conclusion that I was trying to be mean or question the admission process.

2 Likes