CWRU Class of 2025 Official Discussion Thread

Take a look at the FAQ CWRU Frequently Asked Questions

It definitely feels like an urban campus - that’s a plus or minus depending on the student. It’s a nice area of Cleveland and we did not have safety concerns - other than any advice about knowing where you’re going and not wandering around at night alone. I thought the proximity to the cultural offerings of Cleveland was a plus, but my son just didn’t love the city vibe. The walk from north campus down the busy street to the academic buildings just wasn’t what he was looking for. He also thought the dorms other than the brand new upperclassman dorms were pretty tired looking.

Which one did you pick?

It’s totally unscientific poll time!

@Xanthous1 and Bopper…I worked with a faculty member from MIT and talked to him when my daughter was choosing schools…he said to save MIT for graduate school and do undergrad at somewhere cheaper and more fun. My daughter went to CMU and plans MIT for grad school after a couple years of work. But we have another friend whose kid went to MIT paying very little and is having fun. So, I think money and how you respond to stress (and if you can turn it off in healthy way) is good way to choose MIT or “other” (CWRU).

1 Like

Has anyone heard about the scholarships that didn’t come along with the original financial aid offer? The ones that were due Jan 15th. Specifically the FIRST Robotics scholarship? The website says we’ll be notified by April 1st, and nothing yet… I’m hoping they will let us know if we aren’t selected, so that we can move on…

1 Like

My son was accepted to CMU and would love attending but it will be full pay. We just can’t justify 300k for undergrad and then medical school expense. CWRU is top pick based on academics but he is having a hard time with campus life and dorms. It just seems so old and worn.

I really liked the campus when I visited! And all the students were really happy! Unfortunately, the dorms were the only thing we didn’t get to see last year; but since we live reasonably close to Case, if I don’t get into Brown next week we will do another tour this month. I can let you know about the dorms if you’re still interested at that time!

Good luck on Brown! We are waiting on UPenn next week. Please, if you go post an honest opinion about what you see. We are going to try and make a trip in the next 2 weeks for a tour.

1 Like

Of course! Good luck on UPenn! I think your son and I applied to a lot of the same schools lol. I pray ivy day works out for both of us!

1 Like

I wish he applied to more. That was the only one. Did you apply to any other than Brown? What are you majoring in?

Nope. Just Brown. That’s the only Ivy League I really loved. I’m majoring in neuroscience, but I applied to their program in liberal medical education as well.

2 Likes

My kid also waiting now for Ivy Day (Columbia and Penn). I’d count Duke also for all practical purposes :slight_smile: All for biology. In the meantime, we’re visiting CWRU next week; very excited about it!

3 Likes

My son is physics/premed. Who knows maybe all 3 end up at CWRU. @collegebownd please be sure to post how your visit goes. Good luck on ivy day.

2 Likes

my son is in the same boat- waiting on Brown - recognizing it’s a long shot - and then planning a visit to CW later this month.

2 Likes

Looks like there is a small group of us, with Case as our top 3. Will be interesting to see where everyone ends up.

2 Likes

RE: Competitive Scholarships:

I contacted admissions and they said that anyone going forward as a finalist in the Scholarship Competitions should have been contacted by now to schedule their on-line Interview but the winners have not been announced yet.

1 Like

Is it possible that they come out later tonight? I haven’t seen a single person mention that they have been contacted for any of these.

Does anyone know if music scholarships are included in the financial aid letter or do they come later?

1 Like

My DS was fortunate enough to be invited for an interview for the Treuhoft scholarship next week. I believe it will still be quite competitive as they are only awarding one (I think). That said, good luck to everyone (maybe a little extra luck for my son though. . .)

3 Likes