CWRU Class of 2025 Official Discussion Thread

My daughter applied and has heard nothing one way or the other.

Our son got a letter inviting him to be a music major based on the recording he had submitted for the non-major music scholarship…but no mention about whether he got the scholarship. It’s a bit puzzling.

My daughter got the same letter inviting her to be a music major and also no mention of the scholarship.

Let us know how the trip to CW goes - we are visiting in about 2 weeks. Daughter has to choose between Case, UNC (OOS) and Emory.

2 Likes

Typing from the campus hotel as we speak! Make sure to sign up for an in-person tour; your daughter should have received an email.

1 Like

Please let us know how the tour went
We are scheduled for 4/17

1 Like

Has anyone actually seen any of the residence buildings/dorm rooms inside?
Tours unfortunately only outside

You can see some of them on Youtube.

Jupiter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxvprBk4CY

Norton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzc2dfyKeLI

Here are floor plans and photos of the First Year Dorms.

Thank you! What dorms do you recommend for serious students who like their quiet space? Any particular dorm recommendations?

Back in my day, they sprinkled Freshman all over campus. I lived on the “top of the hill” in Glaser on the South Side all 4 years.

I am not sure any one freshman dorm is going to be particular different than another. Maybe others have different ideas.

Does Case send any swag to admitted students?

My son received a little swag package yesterday. It was thoughtful.

4 Likes

Today we visited CWRU and got an in-person tour, although we stayed off buildings except for the lobby in a couple of them. I will not repeat stuff that’s readily available from CC or elsewhere. Some notes and impressions:

• The campus itself is actually two small campuses side-by-side, corresponding to former Western Reserve University and Case Institute of Technology. WRU was a liberal arts school, and most of the cultural venues are on that side (e.g., Cleveland Botanical Gardens, Cleveland Museum of Art, Severance Hall and the Cleveland Orchestra). CIT is adjacent to some university hospitals. They are separated by an avenue with some restaurants. We toured the Botanical Gardens and the Museum of Art. They are both quite nice, but we’ve seen nicer (e.g., Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh). As on-campus perks they are amazing, quite frankly. The museum of art is free admission and its huge, luminous atrium seems perfect for winter studying. The whole campus is quite walkable. Select parts remind me a bit of Brown University (though I haven’t been to that one in 20 years). Overall, I wouldn’t say the campus is “beautiful,” but it is certainly not “ugly,” it has pretty areas, and it is reasonably quiet.
  • Freshman dorms are all on the Western Reserve side; sophomore ones are on the other side. Freshman dorms are essentially about eight identical three-story buildings around a dining hall called Leutner (pronounced Loitner, apparently). They all look a little bit like low-rise housing projects and they have a bit of a cozy, tranquil feel to them. Definitely spartan (pun intended). We could not get into Leutner, as it was card access only—that was a letdown, since trying out the food in the students’ meal plans to me is a must (that is how, for example, we figured out that RPI’s is no good). We were told the freshman and sophomore dorms do not have A/C, but the guide assured us that “only the first and last few weeks of the academic year are hot, and a fan will do.” I went to school in the Midwest; if this is anything like that, it’s going to feel quite hot—we, too, had fan boxes on the windows, and it sucked. We were also told each floor had a shared bathroom with multiple stalls, showers, sinks, etc. A few of the floors are co-ed (genders on opposite sides of the floor, as are bathrooms).
  • I asked our guide (a senior) if she felt safe on campus. Her answer was, “reasonably safe as long as I avoid walking alone at night.” She suggested either walking in groups or using a door-to-door on-demand shuttle the university provides at night.
  • The Sears Thinkbox, which comprises many maker labs for STEM, is simply the biggest thing I’ve ever seen dedicated for that purpose. Unfortunately, we could not visit inside.

Would I want my kid to go to school here? I think so: The academics seem solid, the campus seems dependable, the cultural opportunities are attractive, and the merit scholarship is unbeatable for a private university. Definitely in the running for us.

7 Likes

Those fan boxes do not do the job well.
I recommend to purchase those window fans with adjustable extender screen and extender panel that fit well into the windows and can intake fresh air and exhaust stale air. We got one from the local Target when my kid moved into Case dorm (Cutler). You can even set the temperature and it will automatically blow in cool air at night. You can feel the difference right away.

Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist yet or do we know when that will start happening?

1 Like

I have the same question . If anyone got accepted from waitlist please post here . Also are we required to send LOCI to CWRU ?

Check out:

Do you know how many students applied to the 2021-2022 admissions cycle at CWRU? I was wondering what the acceptance rate was this year…numbers have been off at many schools due to test-optional and application fee waivers.

that info is in the Common Data Set but the 2021-2022 CDS won’t come out until next year. If I see it mentioned anywhere else will let you know.