CWRU vs Wisconsin-Madison for CS

Parents:
We are preparing a list of schools and cannot decide between CWRU and Wisconsin-Madison for BS Computer Science (not BA CS) program.
Based on the profile, chances are very high that our kid will get into both these places.
Thanks in advance.

Is your student a current high school junior?

Why not apply to both?

1 Like

What are you deciding ? You don’t just apply to one school. And there is no assurance, no matter how strong your student is, on CWRU short of an ED.

You should see the kid rejected at BU but in at MIT. Or rejected at SDSU but in at Berkeley.

There’s no such thing as a sure thing short of automatic admissions based on statistics.

So you apply to both - although they are vastly different. And then likely a safety as well.

1 Like

As others have said, I’m confused as to what you need to decide, unless you’re considering an ED application to Case. Otherwise, apply in the Early Action cycle to both… and show lots of interest at Case, because they care about that. Create a separate email, only for college apps (with the parent able to log into it also unless the student finds that objectionable), and be sure to open every email and click on every link they send. (And with CWRU, that can be a lot of links!) Visit, ask questions to your regional rep, etc.

Based on the pattern suggested by these two schools, I’d also suggest an early application (i.e. in August when the application opens) to Pitt. It is sort of like a public version of Case - similar environment and vibe, and strong CS as well… plus it’s a rolling admission school, so he could have a good acceptance in hand before he’s even done applying to the others.

3 Likes

Kid is a high school junior and first kid so it’s a lot of trial and error, if you know what I mean.
We were trying to pick one of these two schools to keep our list to a manageable one but now we will do both the schools (add one more school, basically)

CS is by far one of the most competitive majors. Apply broadly and consider alternate majors. Be careful about looking at the overall admit rate or profile as it likely doesn’t apply to CS.

1 Like

You can manage not just by volume but also by # of essays etc as some have none or by using schools on a standardized app like Common.

For some 20 apps works. For others 5 work.

Good luck.

Case Western requires no additional essays and usually has a fee waiver to apply. There is very little additional effort to apply there.

1 Like

Just so you know, there is very little difference between a BS and BA. They are generally distribution (core) requirements. The actual in major requirements are the same.

1 Like

You’ll get a lot of useful advice from the VERY knowledgeable people on this board if you share your child’s stats and which other colleges your child has on their list. As you say this is your first kid going through the process, you will be amazed at how different college admissions is compared to when you went through it. And CS is the most in demand major so it is extremely competitive. Building a realistic college list of safeties, matches, and reaches is extremely important and something this board can help with.

3 Likes

This is true at Wisconsin, but not necessarily true at other schools. For Wisconsin, the differences between BA CS and BS CS are:

• BS general education requires more advanced math, CS, and/or statistics courses – can be fulfilled by the CS major requirements.
  • BA requires a higher level of foreign language completion.
  • BS has more specific natural science general education requirement.
2 Likes

If given the choice, UW-Madison mostly because in my opinion, Madison is a better college setting that the area around CWRU. That said, both are wonderful schools that serve their students well for future success.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.