CWRU withdraws application for unsubscribing from their emails

I would email them and also possibly call them. If you are seriously interested in Case and they are one of your top choices, I would let them know that as well. Best of luck with your application!

4 Likes

I agree with others. Contact them to confirm your interest AND inform them that you never unsubscribed. It sounds like they have an issue with their analytics.

3 Likes

My opinion of CWRU really tanked because of their demonstrated interest requirement. We visited twice from Chicago, we all clicked through the multiple emails they sent every day, DD signed up for virtual tours and presentations, and they sent multiple mailers every week. It was relentless and annoying and we felt we had to play along or her chances would be dashed. It didn’t matter because she was rejected but that was a blessing because the communication ended with that last email declining her admission.

3 Likes

They could also just reduce the amount of communications they send. Multiple emails every day are not necessary. Multiple mailings every week are not necessary. Tracking demonstrated interest is ok, but they take it to a level that makes it hard to keep up.

5 Likes

I hope there are some consequences for such tactics (barraging applicants with endless emails that they are expected to open in addition to all the other ways students are expected to show interest). I get that Covid has made everyone more reliant on virtual visits and communications, and in many ways the improved admission office websites have made access to information more equitable for all students. Penn’s updated online resources, as an example, are amazing.

There should not be additional burdens placed on teens, however, that are thoughtlessly time consuming. Today’s applicants are already expected to do so much, and endless emails pestering kids to continuously show their love for these institutions is not only cringeworthy but a waste of their time. Put content on the website for students to access so they can learn as much as possible about what is relevant to them, and then use email correspondence for valid and pertinent communications. Texting should be used only for time sensitive situations like meeting for interviews and not sent during school hours.

The admissions process has gotten beyond reasonable, and it is unfair for colleges to deploy such methods. Instead of asking kids to prove themselves endlessly worthy of becoming what are essentially chosen customers, why don’t these institutions hire additional staff to scrutinize applications and run analyses. The burden of managing yield should not come at the expense of young people. Enough.

10 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying. But I wonder, is this application process and barrage of emails overwhelming for students who apply to 5 schools? 8 schools? Or those who are applying to 15-20+? Perhaps it’s an effort by colleges to get students to narrow their focus more.

Multiple emails a day from any institution is too much, whether one has applied to 1 school or 20 schools. But for colleges that are being overwhelmed with the increasing numbers of applications, is there a frequency of communication that would be okay if a students was focused on 10 or fewer colleges that would be overwhelming for those who were applying to significantly more colleges? After all, a student can only pick one institution to enroll in the fall.

1 Like

“No, the point was there should be options for different levels of email frequency or type–all emails, admissions only, weekly only
”

That usually happens when the applicant subscribes, they may be able to check how often and what type but that would be difficult for colleges to change mid-stream during application season.

They definitely do this, that’s why the OP got the email, their analysis found that over 95% (example number) of applicants that unsubscribed and were admitted didn’t attend. So the email was sent.

3 Likes

The problem is an increasing number of colleges waive fees for all and use email/print campaigns to encourage even those below institutional academic thresholds to apply. They are not innocent in encouraging such increased applications so they can drive down admission rates. That plus COVID’s impact on standardized testing availability, subsequent move to test optional, and added layering and urgency of REA, SEA, EA, ED, and ED II have driven kids to believe they need to make more applications overall than ever before to have a reasonable chance.

These factors are all beyond students’ control, but they pay the price. It is one thing to expect applicants to prepare thoughtful, authentic, and customized essays and interview responses, but quite another to ask them to sift through mass emailings as well. Adding such a condition does not necessarily indicate real interest anyway, as several posters have said they as parents are lending their assistance. Don’t we want to minimize that?

4 Likes

Actually, I was recently told by someone in admissions that it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain officers and counselors since Covid began. It is likely that email responses can be more easily monitored by programs, which would explain the increased use of such an impersonal and imprecise means of evaluating interest.

When I mentioned the usefulness of analysis, it wasn’t for something as superficial as whether someone
anyone
is opening or clicking on emails.

So none of the responsibility is on the kid or the parents in turning in too many applications? They were free so we had no choice?

There should be more discussion about kids applying to a manageable list of schools (most do by the way) rather than changing it so kids can apply to an ever increasing number of schools.

4 Likes

I disagree. If all you need is a common app and nothing extra why not ? If you send a fee waiver, why not ?

We did not apply to every fee waiver. We got lucky that some were to schools on our list. But prestigious schools like WUSTL, Chicago, and W& L send them. Others dont charge a fee
Tulane as an example that chases apps hard.

I think requiring an extra essay could help.

My kids applied to 15 and 21. Not sure I’d change much. We were chasing merit to a large extent or rather a certain price point. We hit it multiple times.

But I took the lead in managing their emails so they could live. When they needed to do or see something I got them involved.

If you want less apps, then don’t provide temptation. Truth is the schools want more apps. TO. Waivers. Holistic admissions. Overcrowding fir schools is an issue. But not enough students is far worse for them.

3 Likes

Many parents and kids are not in the position to buck the trend with their one opportunity to apply. Especially in the past two years with increased ambiguity. Even school GCs are urging more early applications because RD admission rates are dropping precipitously.

As I said, students didn’t create the situation, they are just responding to it. The introduction of the Common App, and with it the ability to apply to up to 20 schools at once, is how we got here. Holdouts like Georgetown that prefer to maintain their own apps to assess interest have been denigrated by some on CC as being difficult or not worthy of the additional effort (unless they are MIT). Colleges all had individual applications once, but we observe what happens when the switch is made to the CA. Just look at U Chicago.

Let’s get back to the OP’s question about CWRU.

Feel free to start a new thread about the larger question of how many colleges students should apply to.

1 Like

The OP has two choices.

1. Respond to the email expressing continued interest.

2. Ignore the email, and assume that CWRU is off the table.

BUT
I do hope the poster who did NOT unsubscribe will reach out to Case about this. It’s very possible this email went to all applicants
or something
and the school needs to know about the error this one poster mentioned.

5 Likes

CWRU cares about demonstrated interest. If you want to potentially attend you have to both apply and display interest. There are other schools that don’t care about demonstrated interest. The decision to apply is entirely up to the individual.

If you want to play soccer you can’t use your hands unless you are the goalie. There are other sports where you can use your hands such as baseball, football, and basketball. The decision as to which sport to play is entirely up to you but the rules are defined and need to be respected.

The more transparent the school is regarding what they are looking for the better. Overtly asking “are you still interested” in response to an applicant who “unsubscribes” is extremely direct (and while perhaps could be worded differently) serves the purpose of expectation adjusting for all involved. Seems much nicer then reject without asking.

7 Likes

And show all images / pictures in HTML email from the college, since that is often a way that they track if the email is read.

(Some people may have showing images / pictures turned off by default in email for various reasons relating to security, data usage, or not wanting to be tracked by default by every email sender.)

The Common Application has been around since 1975. Has it gotten much more popular among colleges recently?

The common application is now used by a ton of colleges. Even when MY kids applied in 2003 and 2006, the Common Ap was not what most kids used. Colleges still had the option of using their own application or the Common Ap. My kids chose the college specific applications.

But this is off topic for this thread.

Upstream, I posted the two options the OP has. One or the other.

Where does it actually say that in CWRU’s web pages, which is probably the first place anyone will look? The only place you find interest would be the interview, the CDS has demonstrated interest as considered which is the third rating behind very important and important.

“CWRU cares about demonstrated interest.”

But their own CDS, filled out by the university for as official a document as you’re going to find, says it’s really not that important.

“The decision as to which sport to play is entirely up to you but the rules are defined and need to be respected.”

Soccer rules are clearly defined as to who can use their hands, there is no equivalent in college admissions at least except publicly on a website or CDS. You would have to find out the informal rules, by asking your GC, maybe other applicants, attending an info session.

2 Likes

Admittedly the “rules” of holistic admissions are opaque but the fact that CWRU sent this email both defines their expectation and provides a remedy. I would think you would applaud their direct and transparent approach. In this situation the rules are abundantly clear.

Yes that is what I said. The CDS says “considers” vs “cares” but places the same importance on demonstrated interest as test scores

Also while not the best resource a simple google search says

Lastly, I was responding to an OP who had unsubscribed from the schools communications. At a bare minimum I think it reasonable for a school to question such an action (although many might not care).

3 Likes