Dance for non-majors

We recently got a list from her GC. It does break down into those categories, but I think it’s just based on the school’s general acceptance rate not my kiddo’s stats.
My kiddo’s stats are 34+ ACT, top 20% in class, school doesn’t rank, at a top 10 boarding school, pre-pro ballet dancer at school affiliated with top regional professional company, also advanced in other genres.

Also struggling with affordable options, with her college fund plus cash we can probably afford 25k a year. As an example Princeton’s need based calculator puts the cost right around there. We are also on the Tuition Exchange, but just now looking at those and many would still not be affordable, ex. Case Western only gives 40k in TE, which would leave a cost of another 40k.
It’s so discouraging!

1 Like

Kind of an oddball suggestion, but I would recommend looking at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology). They are most famous for their computing and engineering programs but they actually have really good programs in arts/animation/film as well. And right now they are investing big money into what they are planning to be the best performing arts programs for non-majors in the country. They are currently building a giant student maker/exploration space with multiple practice rooms and studios and after that, they will be building a beautiful new performing arts theatre. They are also giving out several hundred audition-based performing arts scholarships each year which come with performing arts mentoring and all kinds of special opportunities. My son received one for guitar/rock band and when we watched the virtual info session to learn more about the program, they spent a LOT of time on the dance and theatre opportunities - it seems like they have extensive classes/ensembles/opportunities in both areas. I wouldn’t begin to know how to judge how high-level their ballet ensembles are, but based on the amount of money they are putting into their performing arts programs (which are all specifically for non-majors - they don’t have any plans to offer performing arts majors) I think they’d be worth a look. With the exception of a few majors, they don’t tend to be ultra-competitive as far as admissions go, and they are pretty generous with financial aid. Good luck!

2 Likes

Yes, that makes sense. I do not know about some of these schools but Wake and WashU have very good financial aid plus merit scholarships (though they’re hard to get)…maybe USCarolina or Iowa would be an option? We have enough on our list and are trying to wean it down to get it less than 15 (currently 19). There seems to be no easy way to get everything (ideal ballet plus fantastic rigorous stem).

2 Likes

OLD thread, but any chance you could provide update re what you found/where D ended up? We are at similar place in process now. D23 has gotten into a couple t20s, but is now thinking about schools with serious ballet clubs (not interested in places with ballet majors as would eliminate performance opportunities). Loves ballet, but on STEM track.

1 Like

Sounds like my DD. Only without the T20 acceptances as she did an REA and was rejected. She has 7 more apps to get out, but open to more ideas.

1 Like

Not sure if you meant to reply to me or tothe OP, @homerdog : their kid I believe had many great options and ended up at Colgate! Mine is a ‘23 so we will have to report back after May1st I suppose!

1 Like

Don’t be sure that a university having a ballet major will preclude performance opportunities. Duke does have a ballet major, but there are is a performance ballet class, as well as club performance opportunities for non-majors.

3 Likes

I misspoke. She’s only accepted to one T20 if you consider ND to be one. She may apply to others but isn’t keen on chasing programs with 90+% rejections.

What is ND? Notre Dame?

Yes. I think it’s t20, but I’m not expert at this.

Just throwing out another option for a small school with very active dance clubs and GREAT STEM. Washington College in Maryland. Off hand I know there is a modern dance club and a South Asian/Indian Style style dance club and Step Club. There may be ballet, I’m not sure. They put on a performance at the end of each semester. I can’t judge caliber, but I know my child’s roommates enjoy the two dance clubs they are in and my child goes to watch the performance. I also know it is fairly easy to start clubs or Student Interest Clubs there and you child could start a ballet club if it doesn’t exist. I know they have a professor who teaches ballet as an evening, non-credit class, just not sure if they perform. My child and her roommates are all STEM majors and I can’t say enough about their STEM program. My child was mainly looking at mid to big schools but randomly found Washington College, went on a tour, and fell in love with a small school. I believe app is free and still open. They give great merit, don’t get freaked out at sticker price.

Thanks! Will check them out.