Dance teams

In your personal opinion would it seem better to join a pom squad with over 100 dancers or a squad with 12 -16 dancers.

A&M Doesn’t have a “Pom Squad” like Texas Tech, we have the Aggie Dance Team.(Every school says something different) And In my opinion, I’d rather be on a smaller team; because when you want to practice with friends outside of rehersal, you can easily make the entire team a part of one big family.

If you are interested in coming to A&M, don’t only look at the A&M sponsored teams, check out the underground ones like Fade to Black, Dance Arts Society or PhilSa Modern. Those ones have been extremely fun to me personally!

@lessonwitch2 Are you in an underground one? My son is in one. I’ll have to find out exactly which. I remember from a long time ago, y’all had a lot in common.

Do they do different styles of dance? Which dance do you prefer? I would imagine the pom team involves tumbling, gymnastics, etc. while the dance team might not. Where do the different teams perform? time commitment? lots of considerations.

Many of the dance clubs can be found here. They are clubs and organizations outside of official dance teams with a department.
https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/search/index/index/search/category?q=Arts%20and%20Culture

@Thelma2 yes ! I tried Fade to Black and PhilSa but for the future I’ll stick to one group ! ( engineering is really time consuming !)

@jbtcat
And yes ish . If you want Vareity Fade to Black and Dance society are where to go ; but the rest tend to specialize in a type of genre .

Fade to Black Is non competitive so they perform all over state. PhilSa is competitive and travels infrequently for competition to other schools

time commitments the big one though! Most of them perform and practice at night(like 9-11), so if you finish your studying during the day it shouldn’t be a huge issue, but clubs like Fade to Black can make their members practice 5 days a week on average while some only practice once a week. Typically the more performances, the more practices you have to go to.

That is what my son found too @lessonwitch2 so he is in a genre type group. He can’t commit to a dance group more than his engineering, and as you know, that comes first. He’s in it for fun and rec, though they do go places.

@Thelma2 i’m glad I figured it out before taking upper level classes ! You honestly get the same benefits as long as you’re in the dance community of having close friends in a lot of fun! It’s completely manageable as long as you’re not an officer or something. But no matter what clubs you join remember, It’s better to leave soon before it’s too late! No one will judge you for leaving as a freshman.