Daughter’s chances?

Here are her stats:

4.1 weighted GPA
Rank 268 out of 1608 (top 16%)
Highest SAT 1280 (taking again at end of August)
ACT 28
Will be majoring in psychology

Thoughts?
She’s taken her SAT twice now so this third one needs to be higher but I’m worried she won’t hit the 1360 auto admission mark.

@tdawns I would guess she would get Blinn Team at the very least with a decent shot at full admission. Just make sure she does all three essays. And also document all her ECs.

@trinley I heard starting this year, they only want you do do one and won’t read other essays ???

Is that what you “heard” or is that what TAMU admissions is stating? I have no idea either way.

It’s what people on this forum are saying. But I’ll call and ask admissions. Thanks for your input.

Ok I looked it up on their website and it says do topic A and that additional essays will not be reviewed.
She has put all her ECs on the application, which is mainly a peer leadership group with a lot of community service.

DD and I have a meeting at the Regional Center here next week. I will be sure to ask. I know that Aggieland Preview Day was only 3 weeks ago. At that meeting they were still saying to do all 3. Especially C for Scholarships. I am wondering if this means that they already have a ton of applications for Review so they cut out the other 2 Essays?

I know she’s doing some other essay for a scholarship that has to do with how are you a leader now and how will you be a leader at A&M. Is that essay C?

@tdawns Has your daughter practiced the SAT with the Khan academy? My S19 son took the SAT a few times with his score hanging around 1280/1300 and he practiced on the Khan academy for about a month and his score popped up to a 1490. It was an amazing help. She might want to try that. You mentioned that she is taking it again in August, if she doesn’t get the score she wants then she might want to look at the option of taking it again at A&M. A&M offers it in CS and they get the score sooner, however you can’t have that score sent to any other school. Just another option.

Also, this is straight from the A&M admissions webpage - “ESSAY - Topic A - Average length is a page to a page and a half. Additional essays will not be reviewed.”

You can find it here: http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/apply?_ga=2.190591851.1977173858.1533170706-875821621.1448127506

Good luck!

@tdawns Essay C was “You have a Ticket to Anywhere…where would you go and why?”

Also the next SAT date after the August 25th in October 6 with Score release by October 19th, Then again November 3rd for November 16. So technically there are 2 more chances after August to try to get a better score by the December 1st application closing date.

@seniormom2000
Are those just the general SAT dates or the ones she could take at A&M?
She is doing the Khan Academy now until her test.
Your son’s score got a HUGE improvement! Wow that’s impressive!

@tdawns - Oops, I’m sorry, they changed it this year and TAMU no longer offers the SAT on campus. They do offer the ACT there, though. Check this link - https://testing.tamu.edu/Exams/ACT

My son’s score majorly jumped up and I really do think it was because he used Khan Academy, and the fact that he only had a few more chances to take it made him super nervous. Like @seniormom2000 said, there are a few more dates before applications close. Your daughter can apply now and still have the SAT and/or ACT scores sent later. TAMU uses the highest score for applications. I would not wait to apply.

@trish02 I’m sorry. I’d tagged the wrong person on my last post!
She’s editing her essay’s final draft right now, so I think it’ll be out the door tomorrow!

@tdawns Awesome!! Good luck to her!

Those are general SAT dates from the Website.

@tdawns My son last year had 28 ACT top 14% decent ECs(like everyone who applies), essays and LOR. He received full admit on the second round (Dec.). One option your daughter could do is taking the ACT at TAMU as suggested above. They score it within a day and round up. 28.25 is considered a 29 for instance. One main difference though is they cannot write on the test. My son found this hard on the English portion. Also… you schedule the exam… there aren’t like testing dates…it’s on your schedule I believe (if it’s like last year).

AND definitely only need Essay A!!! They will not look at any others for admission.

@AggieMomhelp
Hi thanks for the info! I don’t really understand what you mean by second round. I thought all holistic reviews were told in February. Is that not the case? So she could find out sooner? She’s submitting her application today.

@tdawns The majority of review applicants will be notified after then new year and can be January/February to sometime in March. Last admissions cycle was off on the dates decisions came out compared to the two years prior, due to the extended application deadline due to Hurricane Harvey.

The auto and academic admits must be placed first and so they have to wait until after the deadline for the remainder of the spots. Auto/academic admits receive their decisions as their applications are processed and that begins to happen around mid September. Review applicant decisions seem to come in “rounds”. There are no specific dates for these “rounds”. All we can do is compare to the prior year for when they happen. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don’t.

That said, there are review applicants that receive a decision before the deadline. These are not impacted majors, like engineering and Mays. The “Rounds” that happened last year for review admits were as follows:
November 21 - Full admissions to College Station
December 15 - Full admissions to College Station
January 11 - Full admissions to College Station
February 5 - Full admissions to College Station
February 7 and 8 - Blinn Team offer of Admissions
February 15 and 20 - Gateway offer of Admissions
February 23 - New McAllen Center for Higher Education. This is an admissions offer for some applicants though they applied to College Station and can be for Biomedical Science, Food System Industry Management, Public Health. http://admissions.tamu.edu/MHEC
March 8 - PSA

@Thelma2
Wonderful info. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!