Deciding between BSN program on probation vs. new program with no graduates/NCLEX history

My Daughter has been accepted into two direct entry BSN programs. All other things aside, one is only a couple of years old and therefore has not graduated anyone yet and therefore has no reported NCLEX scores. The other is at a better school and was her first choice but they just told her they have been placed on probation due to sliding NCLEX scores. So it’s a case of no history vs an uncertain future. The school on probation is citing the pandemic challenges and has made several changes so I’m optimistic. But, my daughter needs realistic advice from anyone familiar with this sort of thing. She has also been admitted to a few regular BSN programs but she worries about applying again against transfers and peers with no guarantee of finishing in four years. It’s not a decision we want for her but here we are.

1 Like

Wow & YIKES… I haven’t heard of that situation- how significantly are these scores sliding?

My advice is 100% go to the newer program… she does not want to end up at a program that loses its credentials while she’s there… that’s potential disaster… her degree/license, if she can even continue, may not be valid, and she will possibly not be approved to take the NCLEX.

In theory, the newer program will not be in that position ((hopefully ever!!)… and the newer program is probably very invested in getting the program going successfully so there will be plenty of support.

However, does the newer program already have it’s credentials? My daughter considered applying to Merrimack - also a newer program-but here is their disclaimer:

“The baccalaureate degree in nursing program at Merrimack College is pursuing initial accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (www.ccneaccreditation.org). Applying for accreditation does not guarantee that accreditation will be granted.”

Ask that question! Good luck!

2 Likes

I’d definitely choose one of the direct entry programs. I think most schools placed on probation do get off probation after making some adjustments to their programs. I have noticed that a number of very well respected nursing programs have recently had a dip in NCLEX scores, most likely due to COVID challenges. I wouldn’t worry too much about the probation, especially if this school had consistently good NCLEX scores prior to the COVID pandemic.

3 Likes

Great points too! But still I wonder what triggers a school being placed on probation- is it truly just sliding NCLEX scores? What else is going on there…

Also- be aware that some BSN programs make graduation difficult for students who are not performing well on practice NCLEX exams… and this situation may lend itself to that.

1 Like

I’m not super knowledgeable about nursing programs. But it might be helpful to more experienced CC’ers if you would tell us the schools in question.

2 Likes

Yes, if NCLEX first-time pass rates dip below 80%, a school will be placed on probation. There are other reasons a school can be placed on probation but I believe that is the most common reason.

3 Likes

Ahh… got it!

Yes I think disclosing which schools we are talking about would be very helpful, and may also let others know that a school is on probation which I think anyone would want to know…

Another thought-- if the passing rate was always in the mid 80s, which IS the national average, that dip may not be super significant. Something to consider. I’d ask all of these questions before committing.

Also, there is nothing wrong with attending newer program, in theory, if it’s credentialed … but that newer school may be on a sort of probation too as with the Merrimack example… so, if these are your two choices neither is a perfect choice.

All new programs start the same way as Merrimack. No program can be accredited until its first class graduates. This is similar to the process for engineering programs seeking accreditation by ABET.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s absolutely true!

My point was just that the OP’s dilemma leaves her debating between two schools - both in a sort of limbo, either hoping to be either initially credentialed, or hoping to get off probation… not sure there is a “better” choice between the two.

Both present a somewhat dicey and tense situation for a nursing program + its students.

Yes, I agree that either situation is a bit concerning, but most new programs do receive initial (and later full) accreditation, and most programs on probation do revert to full accreditation. Also, I appreciate that some programs are more concerned about supporting all of their students who have a passion for nursing, even if it means somewhat lower NCLEX first-time pass rates, than being highly weed out to obtain and keep a super high pass rate. There are many nursing students with wonderful clinical skills who may not be the best standardized test takers.

3 Likes

any thoughts @2plustrio (who I think is a nurse?!)

2 Likes

There is indeed a big drop in NCLEX rates in most nursing schools. My kid’s school went from 96% to 88%. But less than 80 might be problematic. Being in probation puts a school under a lot of stress especially the juniors and seniors. Usually what they do (because it is the fastest way to see results) is to restrict who can take the exam.
Even without the drop, schools are a bit stressed with the upcoming changes to the test. Professors are trying to tweak the curriculum and the current test exams to match the new style and they are a lot of wrinkles in the process. My kid had a few bad written exams the last year because the professors were trying to update them but it takes some time to get the questions right.
Can you share the name of the new program? There are some brand new programs I would definitely consider.

1 Like

This is very true and VERY alarming… some DA BSN programs are creating a situation where they just don’t graduate an otherwise passing senior if he /she does not achieve a certain score on a practice test, making it part of the required curriculum. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Naming the schools might be helpful. Including the non DA schools.

Passing percentages have decreased during Covid. I would want to know whether it was because of online classes, lack of clinical time or loss of qualified instructors. The first two are fixable. The third would be tougher to overcome right now.

1 Like

The school being open with being put on probation shows they are open to discussing and acknowledging the issues. However, students may get caught in the middle with changing curriculums, etc. I would ask what exactly they have done or are doing differently. If they claim the pandemic was an issue for a significant drop, it does make me worry about their partnerships with clinical sites. Do they have technology to support online learning if needed? NCLEX is changing NOW, have they incorporated new teaching strategies to support the new clinical judgment model?

A new school does not necessarily mean it is bad. I work at a relatively new program which is now highly ranked nationally.

Avoid for profit schools.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to have left out the important details!

Probation - Temple (2022 NCLEX - 71.74)

New - Hofstra (first class will be juniors this fall)

Non Direct Entry - UWash, Cal State Chico, Cal State Long Beach, Cal State San Marcos, Cal State SF

She is waitlisted at UMass Amheasrst, Northeastern, and Pitt.

Thank you for the input.

4 Likes

“We have been notified by the State Board of Nursing (SBON) that our Bachelor of Nursing program has been placed on a probationary status due to our NCLEX pass rates declining over the past two years. Please note that we remain an accredited nursing program.

We acknowledge that our response to disruptions resulting from the pandemic did not meet SBON standards, but we are confident that improvements initiated during the past year will raise test scores and foster a better learning environment for our students. These improvements include:

• Updates to the BSN curriculum
  • New partnership with Temple University Hospital System ensuring priority clinical placements for our students
  • Several new hires within the nursing department that will enable us to better serve our students, including a BSN program coordinator, a field coordinator, a simulation director and a new department chair”

So, they are being somewhat transparent (they told my daughter, but not me) but like it’s been mentioned here, many programs saw 5-8 point drops from 2021 to 2022. Temple’s was over 13 points.

2 Likes

What comes to mind… Hofstra’s Med School is only about 15 years old and it is successful. So that’s a hopeful indicator that they have their act together!

It sounds like she’s a CA student then. What is the cost difference between these programs? I’m a fan of the CSU nursing programs (having graduated from one myself), but I get the nervousness about them not being direct admit (though I like that students have to meet standards to continue with the program). Pretty sure you can’t beat the price of a CSU. Does she want to practice in CA at the end of it all? I understand that CA BON is REALLY slow to endorse RN licenses from other states. I really liked Chico when we toured a few years ago. Our guide was in the nursing program and was terrific.

1 Like

I think I’d choose Hofstra, solely due to location. I really have no knowledge about the safety of Hofstra’s location, but I do know that the Temple Medical Center campus (where I assume nursing students do most clinicals) is in a very bad neighborhood in North Philadelphia. I’m sure Temple nursing students get lots of experience in trauma care (gunshot wounds, drug overdoses, etc.) but it wouldn’t be my choice.

3 Likes